The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Got a question, and if I ask it at our meeting, it will be plain as day i am questioning the officials who made the call at a game I was at (and that is a big no-no in our area for some reason with basketball officials...).

A1 inbounds the ball at half court inbounds the ball. A2, who was standing in the front court, leaps over the half court line, catches the ball, and lands in the back court with the ball. This was called as over and back.

My understanding is that in order for the ball to achieve front court status, both feet and the ball must be in the front court. At that time, the restrictions of over and back begin. Since the ball had no status in regards to front or back court when out of bounds, A2 didn't violate, because the ball was never in the front court to go "back" from.

Was the call correct, or is my understanding of the rule?

Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
Was the call correct,
No.

Quote:
or is my understanding of the rule?
No, that's not correct either.

The play was not over-and-back, but only b/c there's an explicit exception for that airborne player. So the officials got it wrong.

But normally, all the conditions for over-and-back would be met in that situation. When A2 leaps from the frontcourt, he has frontcourt status. When he catches the ball, he establishes team control and gives the ball frontcourt status. When he lands in the backcourt, he becomes the first player to touch it after it has gone in the backcourt. So all the elements of over-and-back have been met.

But, as I said, there is an explicit exception for this situation.

The "two feet and the ball" provision only applies to a player who is dribbling from backcourt to frontcourt. Don't get it confused with a player holding the ball, or with a player jumping from frontcourt to backcourt.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Got a question, and if I ask it at our meeting, it will be plain as day i am questioning the officials who made the call at a game I was at (and that is a big no-no in our area for some reason with basketball officials...).

A1 inbounds the ball at half court inbounds the ball. A2, who was standing in the front court, leaps over the half court line, catches the ball, and lands in the back court with the ball. This was called as over and back.

My understanding is that in order for the ball to achieve front court status, both feet and the ball must be in the front court. At that time, the restrictions of over and back begin. Since the ball had no status in regards to front or back court when out of bounds, A2 didn't violate, because the ball was never in the front court to go "back" from.

Was the call correct, or is my understanding of the rule?

Neither are correct.

The "three points" applies only on a dribble from BC to FC.

The ball did have FC status when A2 caught the ball, but "an aiorborne player catching the throw-in pass" is one of the three exceptions to the "4 criteria" for a BC violation.

Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Neither are correct.
Ahem, uh, neither is correct. Sorry.

Mr. Grammar Guy

Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Haha - ok - open mouth, insert foot... Got the right idea, wrong rule application. Thanks for the help! I was amazed that three varsity officials in a varsity girls game didn't get the correct call on this one. At least it didn't affect the outcome of the game.

Thanks again!
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 04:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

drinkeii,
Chances are only one blew it, not all three.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Was the call correct,
No.

Quote:
or is my understanding of the rule?
No, that's not correct either.

The play was not over-and-back, but only b/c there's an explicit exception for that airborne player. So the officials got it wrong.

But normally, all the conditions for over-and-back would be met in that situation. When A2 leaps from the frontcourt, he has frontcourt status. When he catches the ball, he establishes team control and gives the ball frontcourt status. When he lands in the backcourt, he becomes the first player to touch it after it has gone in the backcourt. So all the elements of over-and-back have been met.

But, as I said, there is an explicit exception for this situation.

The "two feet and the ball" provision only applies to a player who is dribbling from backcourt to frontcourt. Don't get it confused with a player holding the ball, or with a player jumping from frontcourt to backcourt.

I'm so proud of him!!!!
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
drinkeii,
Chances are only one blew it, not all three.
Possible, but because of the complaints of the coach immediately following the call, all three got together, and ended up with the call standing. I realize that no ref can overrule another on a call, but I have always felt it is more important to get the call right, then to preserve a sense of refs not being wrong. In our area, it seems to be pretty well established that no ref could possibly be wrong, and it is a mortal sin to question your partner. I have been told by various officials in the past that there is never a bad call - what the ref calls is always correct, and should never be questioned. Officiating 3 sports, this is only true of the basketball officials - in the other two that I do (soccer and swimming), it is strongly encouraged to get together very quickly, if necessary, to make sure to get the call right. I have never had a problem with a fellow official saying "i saw this... " and changing my call if I was wrong. I don't understand why it is so frowned upon in basketball, at least in our area, by a number of officials.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Neither are correct.
Ahem, uh, neither is correct. Sorry.

Mr. Grammar Guy

Damn. That's twice this week I've been wrong. For this one, I'll blame the martinis.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

for bob jenkins

where should I look to find the other two exceptions to the over and back ... Mike
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

The other two exceptions are for:

1) an airborne player who catches the ball while jumping from his frontcourt to backcourt during a jump ball; and

2) a defensive player who catches the ball while airborne jumping from his frontcourt to backcourt.
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 06:15pm
M.A.S.H.

I actually had a call like this two weeks ago. A1 dribbling in backcourt, A3 jumps from her front court catches the ball in the air lands in the backcourt. A's coach didn't enjoy the call too much!