Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 11:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Nope. Im saying that a whistle looks justified with the benefit of slow mo and replay. Camera had a beautiful angle. The coach certainly had a case against the no-call so I'd cut her some slack on the response.
It's not justified. The post above explains why it wasn't a foul.

On another note, I've cleaned up the thread. Before anyone calls anyone an idiot again, please note that we'll delete those types of posts. They don't do anything for this board.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
I don't think that warrants a second technical. Official absolutely blew the call in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Blew what call? The one where the defender put her hand on top of the ball and caused a turnover?
The call was missed. This isn't even close.

The defender may have touched the ball at the beginning but when the shooter tried to take the ball up, the only contact from the defender was across the shooter's forearm and not on the ball at all any more. The defender didn't stop the movement of the ball, they stopped the movement of the arm.

If the hand had also remained on the ball AND the arm while the shooter was going up, I could agree with no foul, but the defender was only holding down the arm.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 02:36am.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 03:17am
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Dunn said she thought Reeve should have been ejected because the wildest part of the tantrum came after the technical.

"I guess the thing that concerns me is that after she got her first technical, then she proceeded to take her jacket off, throw her jacket," Dunn said. "In my opinion, that should have been reason for a second technical and removal, and they (the officials) did not do that, and of course, she was able to incite the crowd.

"There's no doubt in my mind that her behavior after the first technical warranted ejection, and I was very disappointed that the officials allowed her to in some ways, you know, just kind of a lack of respect for the game and lack of respect for them. I was disappointed in the whole affair."

"Unless, of course, it was I who did this. In that case this wouldn't have been a problem and I would see this as just getting a "T" to fire up my team," said the other coach....
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 07:39am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
... Before anyone calls anyone an idiot again.....
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 08:00am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

The defender may have touched the ball at the beginning but when the shooter tried to take the ball up, the only contact from the defender was across the shooter's forearm and not on the ball at all any more. The defender didn't stop the movement of the ball, they stopped the movement of the arm.

If the hand had also remained on the ball AND the arm while the shooter was going up, I could agree with no foul, but the defender was only holding down the arm.
This is exactly how I view it and based on that, I'm giving the coach a little leeway. She absolutely should be rung up based on her initial response, but I'd be hesitant to ring up a second T and toss her. IMHO, she had a valid gripe initially.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 10:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Wrist Is Part Of The Ball ??? In Who's World ???

Quote:
The call was missed. This isn't even close. The defender may have touched the ball at the beginning but when the shooter tried to take the ball up, the only contact from the defender was across the shooter's forearm and not on the ball at all any more. The defender didn't stop the movement of the ball, they stopped the movement of the arm.
I am also charging a foul on this play.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 10:16am.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I am also charging a foul on this play.
How much would you charge for this foul?
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 10:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Lets' Bring Two Threads Together ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
How much would you charge for this foul?
Not sure, haven't checked the 2012-13 price list. But I do know that there would be a 7% assignment fee.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 10:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

So let me get this straight. You are going to call a foul on a defender that clearly contacted the ball first or mostly the ball, but had some contact with an arm at some point in the process of the play?

Peace
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 10:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hyperbole Is The Word Of The Day On My Word Of The Day Calendar ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
So let me get this straight. You are going to call a foul on a defender that clearly contacted the ball first or mostly the ball, but had some contact with an arm at some point in the process of the play?
Some? She almost tore her arm out of it's socket. Wait? Almost? No. She actually did tear her arm out of it's socket, and then waved the detatched arm around to show the crowd. Yeah. That's better.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 07:09pm.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Yes. Contacting the ball first doesn't grant the right to the defender to hold down the arm of the shooter (actually pull the shooters arm off the ball) after contacting the ball. She didn't just have "some contact" on the arm. That is the primary contact, not the earlier ball contact.

If the initial ball contact had knocked the ball free, then the arm contact would be incidental, but it didn't. Since the shooter maintained control of the ball after the ball contact and was able to start a shot that was only stopped due to the arm contact, it can't be anything but a foul.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 05:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

The No-call was absolutely correct. I wouldn't even think twice about it, neither would any of the supervisors I work for.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The No-call was absolutely correct. I wouldn't even think twice about it, neither would any of the supervisors I work for.
So, your supervisors like to allow the defender to pull the shooter's hand off the ball by hold onto their arm? Really?
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 06:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Some? She almost tore her arm out of it's socket. Wait? Almost? No. She actually did tear her arm out of it's socket. Yeah. That's better.
If that is the case, why did the player not fall? That is some kind of contact to stay on your feet. Again the rules give the defender the same right to the ball. I see more contact on held ball situations than that play.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 06:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Not only that, as a state clinician I would love to praise an official that did not call that a foul.

To call that is at best a high school call. Any contact, call the foul no matter how the contact took place.

Peace
Closed Thread