The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 01:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
I don't think that warrants a second technical. Official absolutely blew the call in my opinion.
Blew what call? The one where the defender put her hand on top of the ball and caused a turnover?
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 02:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have no problem giving a second T on this at any level that I work. I guess I would have to hear what she said or how she said things after getting the first T. I would want my partner to give the second one, but hey act better if you do not want anyone to think of calling this.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 02:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I don't think that warrants a second technical. Official absolutely blew the call in my opinion.
First, I completely disagree with you about the call being missed.

Second, and most important (for me anyway)...are you saying that you would ignore unsporting behavior from a coach simply because you think your partner blew a call???
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Does the "hand is part of the ball" apply when defender is reaching across, and susequently makes contact with (39 sec frame), the offensive player's arm? I have to question that she was unable to get her shot off, as much due to the contact on her arm as the hand on the ball. Small chance for held ball call here after seeing it a few times. As for the 2nd T, I'll weigh in with yes for HS, but prob no for pros.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
First, I completely disagree with you about the call being missed.

Second, and most important (for me anyway)...are you saying that you would ignore unsporting behavior from a coach simply because you think your partner blew a call???
I went back and looked at the play in stopped frames, and I'll have to agree with you. Contact was with the ball before any contact on the arm. Looked like a foul in full speed, and a whistle would have been incorrect.

Secondly, If I blow a call, I'll be patient before issuing a "T". I'll give the coach extra leeway in this situation. I've got my partners back if a "T" is warranted and my partner doesn't see the action that warrants the "T".
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 02:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Does the "hand is part of the ball" apply when defender is reaching across, and susequently makes contact with (39 sec frame), the offensive player's arm? I have to question that she was unable to get her shot off, as much due to the contact on her arm as the hand on the ball. Small chance for held ball call here after seeing it a few times. As for the 2nd T, I'll weigh in with yes for HS, but prob no for pros.
It is not a foul because the player contacted the ball first and anything else would be incidental. It is that simple. No one is going to play defense on you and be expected to never contact you, ever.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 03:00pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I went back and looked at the play in stopped frames, and I'll have to agree with you. Contact was with the ball before any contact on the arm. Looked like a foul in full speed, and a whistle would have been incorrect.

Secondly, If I blow a call, I'll be patient before issuing a "T". I'll give the coach extra leeway in this situation. I've got my partners back if a "T" is warranted and my partner doesn't see the action that warrants the "T".
Whew!

I was hoping that was what you meant...And I agree. If I think I "missed" a call, I will let a little more venting than usual take place - but nothing approaching the level of this lady!
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yes. And I think a coach would've gotten the gate in the NBA, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I don't think so...toss the jacket onto the court or in the stands sure. Toss is at your assistant coach? That's nothing.
I stand correct...NBA: Whack, get out
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is not a foul because the player contacted the ball first and anything else would be incidental. It is that simple. No one is going to play defense on you and be expected to never contact you, ever.

Peace
Thanks. Any chance for a held ball call here?
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Thanks. Any chance for a held ball call here?
If you determined the player came back down with the ball, then a jump ball would be a proper call.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 04:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
If you determined the player came back down with the ball, then a jump ball would be a proper call.
I would not even call that in high school where the rule is a little different. I think in real time this was just a good block.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would not even call that in high school where the rule is a little different. I think in real time this was just a good block.

Peace
I agree, I have a play on

Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 08:28pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Blew what call? The one where the defender put her hand on top of the ball and caused a turnover?
I'm looking at it full screen, frozen at about :40. The defender has a hand full of wrist and clearly restricts the arm. Absolutely a whistle is correct here. No justification for coach COMING ON THE COURT and protesting, but I think she deserves a little leeway on her response.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 09:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I'm looking at it full screen, frozen at about :40. The defender has a hand full of wrist and clearly restricts the arm. Absolutely a whistle is correct here. No justification for coach COMING ON THE COURT and protesting, but I think she deserves a little leeway on her response.
You're calling a foul based on a frozen moment? Before the contact B1 capped the ball. As A1 tried to continue her shot her left hand started coming off the ball and that's when contact you are referring to occurred.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 09:24pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You're calling a foul based on a frozen moment? Before the contact B1 capped the ball. As A1 tried to continue her shot her left hand started coming off the ball and that's when contact you are referring to occurred.
Nope. Im saying that a whistle looks justified with the benefit of slow mo and replay. Camera had a beautiful angle. The coach certainly had a case against the no-call so I'd cut her some slack on the response.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Fri Oct 19, 2012 at 09:28pm.
Closed Thread