The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 07:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Saturday, October 20, 2012: Hyperbole ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Some? She almost tore her arm out of it's socket. Wait? Almost? No. She actually did tear her arm out of it's socket, and then waved the detatched arm around to show the crowd. Yeah. That's better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If that is the case, why did the player not fall? That is some kind of contact to stay on your feet.
Why did the player not bleed to death?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 07:10pm.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 07:59pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
So, your supervisors like to allow the defender to pull the shooter's hand off the ball by hold onto their arm? Really?
If that was what happened, then a foul should be called. But the defender clearly has her hand on the ball and the shooter tries to muscle the ball up through the defenders hand/arm. I'm not punishing the defender for that. If you want to, go ahead. That's A great no-call in my book.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 09:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So, your supervisors like to allow the defender to pull the shooter's hand off the ball by hold onto their arm? Really?
What does that have to do with this play? I'm not calling a foul on a defender just b/c the offensive player can't rip through the defender's capping of the ball.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 09:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Not only that, as a state clinician I would love to praise an official that did not call that a foul.

To call that is at best a high school call. Any contact, call the foul no matter how the contact took place.

Peace
I despise the phrase "high school call". It reeks of big-timing.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 09:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I despise the phrase "high school call". It reeks of big-timing.
OK, it is a JV call.

Either way, this is about the only place that call would be acceptable (and not acceptable where I live).

Peace
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 09:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Why did the player not bleed to death?
Because the ball does not bleed.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 21, 2012, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Nope. That is not egregious enough for me at the college level. It was not directed at the official, was not a prolonged action, and her staff got her under control pretty quickly.

If this is a HS game, then yes....

(Let the criticism begin).....
So by that logic if she turned, picked up a chair and launched it behind the bench you wouldn't have tossed her, either? I mean, it wouldn't have been directed at an official, wouldn't have been prolonged and we can assume her staff would've gotten her to calm down pretty quickly.

As BigBald said, how egregious do you want it to be?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Oct 21, 2012, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What does that have to do with this play? I'm not calling a foul on a defender just b/c the offensive player can't rip through the defender's capping of the ball.
The defender didn't cap the ball, they touched it and capped the arm.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2012, 03:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The defender didn't cap the ball, they touched it and capped the arm.
I would suggest either better video quality or a new prescription.

In fact the defender's hand made no downward motion until the ball came loose. Her hand initially moved up with the ball and then when the ball came loose is the first time her hand moved downward. I honestly have no idea what the heck you are looking at.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Oct 21, 2012 at 03:41pm.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2012, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would suggest either better video quality or a new prescription.

In fact the defender's hand made no downward motion until the ball came loose. Her hand initially moved up with the ball and then when the ball came loose is the first time her hand moved downward. I honestly have no idea what the heck you are looking at.
The direction the defender's hand moves is not relevant. The ball continued UP afterwards...not much, but UP while the shooters arm stayed down as a result of behind held down. That is a very reliable symptom of the contact being on the arm instead of the ball. Plus, the defender isn't permitted to contact the arm to get to the ball....that point is indisputable unless you close your eyes when watching the video. They can make contact with a hand that is one the ball, but not the arm.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Oct 22, 2012 at 08:00am.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2012, 04:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One Video, Thousand Words ...

Quote:
In fact the defender's hand made no downward motion until the ball came loose. Her hand initially moved up with the ball and then when the ball came loose is the first time her hand moved downward.
Quote:
The ball continued up afterwards, not much, but up while the shooters arm stayed down as a result of behind held down. That is a very reliable symptom of the contact being on the arm instead of the ball. Plus, the defender isn't permitted to contact the arm to get to the ball, that point is indisputable. They can make contact with a hand that is one the ball, but not the arm.
With such a difference of opinion, it's too bad that we don't have video to watch to see who is correct.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Oct 21, 2012, 07:40pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I suggest you take up a career in writing fictional novels. You're making stuff up. The direction the defender's hand moves is not relevant. The ball continued UP afterwards...not much, but UP while the shooters arm stayed down as a result of behind held down. That is a very reliable symptom of the contact being on the arm instead of the ball. Plus, the defender isn't permitted to contact the arm to get to the ball....that point is indisputable unless you close your eyes when watching the video. They can make contact with a hand that is one the ball, but not the arm.
The defender didn't contact the arm to get to the ball...the defender got her hand on the ball and then the shooter tried to muscle her way through the defender, undoubtedly hoping she had an official there who would make such a call. Good thing for the game that those officials knew better.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2012, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
The defender didn't contact the arm to get to the ball...the defender got her hand on the ball and then the shooter tried to muscle her way through the defender, undoubtedly hoping she had an official there who would make such a call. Good thing for the game that those officials knew better.
Unfortunate for the game that the officials don't call the obvious foul and that there are others that back them up.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2012, 11:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Unfortunate for the game that the officials don't call the obvious foul and that there are others that back them up.
Well if it was obvious, why are there many officials saying this should not be called? Why are you correct on this situation and everyone else is wrong? It really should not be a matter how many feel one way or the other, but it is telling when not everyone even can agree on this contact. This is why it is called, "judgment" I guess.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well if it was obvious, why are there many officials saying this should not be called? Why are you correct on this situation and everyone else is wrong? It really should not be a matter how many feel one way or the other, but it is telling when not everyone even can agree on this contact. This is why it is called, "judgment" I guess.

Peace
I'm with you from your earlier posts. H.S. I can see calling a foul but even then I'm iffy. College and Pro? Play on. Defender got the ball first and then it's a case of one strong person trying to hold the ball down (defense) while another tries to raise it towards the goal (offense). At any rate I'm not going to use "obvious" on this situation. If we're all debating it my guess is it really isn't obvious.

I can see the coach being upset because of whatever angle she has and the fact she's a coach but she doesn't get to go berserk, even if I think my partners or I may have missed the call.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Closed Thread