The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 22, 2012, 06:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
All you have to do is go back and watch the Higgins/Burr situation from a couple of years ago to see what happens when the officials both think someone else is covering a line.
The problem is mechanics honestly did not cover this play. Two officials could have called that situation easily and some would make a case that the C in that play could have called something as well. And all of them should have been aware of the clock and none of those advance techniques are covered in regular mechanics.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 23, 2012, 10:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

What's My Line (A Mark Goodson Bill Todman Production) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The sideline coverage needs to be 100% the same for everyone.
(Note: Connecticut is predominantly a two person state.)

It isn't here in my little corner of Connecticut. Every pregame will usually include some discussion about how far "down" the lead wants to cover for out of bounds responsibilities on his side in a half court set. Free throw line extended? Division line? Backcourt endline? Then we have to discuss the same sideline in a transition game.

Back in the olden days of old NFHS mechanics, the lead had the sideline all the way back to the backcourt endline, in both a halfcourt set, as well as the transition game. Period. End of discussion, actually, no discussion. I know that this meant calling a line outside of one's primary coverage area, but we got it right almost every time, and when we didn't the trail would offer "assistance" after the call.

We were "robots", as JRutledge so elegantly stated earlier, but back then the out of bounds call was made with very little "thinking". The ball went out of bounds, a whistle was sounded to stop the clock, a call was made, the call was usually correct, and when it wasn't, it was corrected. Easy peasey lemon squeezy.

Now, with the new IAABO mechanics, we have to "think" about whether or not we're in a halfcourt set, or in a transition, then we have to figure out where our responsibility ends (free throw line extended, division line, endline). We also have to figure out what we discussed back in the locker room before the game. Once we got that all figured out, then we may, or may not, sound our whistle for what used to be one of the easiest calls to make in a game.

With the old fashioned NFHS mechanics there was always an immediate, decisive whistle to stop the clock. Only one whistle. Always. With the new IAABO mechanics, there will occasionally be a double whistle, hopefully not a double call, and hopefully not opposite direction calls. Then we'll occasionally get a pregnant pause before a whistle is sounded, certainly not a very decisive call.

And yes, as I stated earlier, I know that the old fashioned NFHS mechanics meant calling a line outside of one's primary coverage area, but, again, we got it right almost every time, and when we didn't the trail would offer help to correct the call.

Thanks to all Forum members for allowing me to rant and rave about one of my pet peeves. Now would somebody please help me down from my soapbox. It's kind of high up here and I'm not as young as I used to be.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 23, 2012 at 11:41am.
Old Sun Sep 23, 2012, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Of course you should teach things the proper way and in the proper sequence, but overall I want someone that can call the game consistently... Peace
I'm with you JRut...I'd probably take a guy that can "call the game" over the guy that can do things the "proper way"...

...but, how about a guy that can do both?
Richland, WA
Old Sun Sep 23, 2012, 07:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
I'm with you JRut...I'd probably take a guy that can "call the game" over the guy that can do things the "proper way"...

...but, how about a guy that can do both?
Nothing wrong with doing both. I just do not think anyone does everything to the letter as the book states. I have yet to see someone give the proper PC Foul sequence even if they start off properly.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 06:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

How About A Nice Hawaiian Punch ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have yet to see someone give the proper PC Foul sequence even if they start off properly.
Many here in my little corner of Connecticut include the team control punch.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)