The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mechanics Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92456-mechanics-question.html)

wjc3 Thu Sep 20, 2012 07:25pm

Mechanics Question

First time posting, long time reading....

Offensive player A2 sets an illegal screen on defender B1. What are the correct NFHS mechanics for this call?

Thanks!!!

Freddy Thu Sep 20, 2012 07:36pm

...and Widely Scattered Light Toward Morning

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjc3 (Post 855348)

Offensive player A2 sets an illegal screen on defender B1. What are the correct NFHS mechanics for this call?

Thanks!!!

I'll give a partial answer.

10-6-6: If from behind, it is pushing, for which a signal is given at the back of the book.

Since this forum thrives on the basis of shared participatory responses, I'll let others chime in on other possible situations perhaps meriting a different mechanic (signal). :)

PAULK1 Thu Sep 20, 2012 07:59pm

prelim should be TC signal, you can verbalize illegal screen (with TC signal) when reporting to table.

Adam Thu Sep 20, 2012 08:07pm

I just use the TC signal.

Freddy Thu Sep 20, 2012 08:15pm

The Rest of the Story

Quote:

Thanks!!!

If not from behind, then 4-7-1, a block. For which also a signal is provided.

billyu2 Thu Sep 20, 2012 08:26pm

In our area, most have been taught not to use the "block" or "push" signal.
Fist (obviously) then TC signal in the direction play will be going. Many will verbalize "illegal screen" as well.
Then we indicate the throw-in spot. If you have/use the NFHS Officials Manual you can find this on 3.4.2B p.69.

APG Thu Sep 20, 2012 08:57pm

Me personally:

Fist up...punch the other way while verbalizing "illegal screen." At the table, color, number, illegal screen (while giving a block signal), then team control signal.

Freddy Thu Sep 20, 2012 09:19pm

. . . and Then

Quote:

Since it's a team-control foul, signal in the direction of the non-fouling team's basket.

These three responses I gave together answer the question you asked.

DISCLAIMER: You asked about the correct NFHS mechanics, not what we do. There is a difference for a variety of reasons, not all of them bad. Variances from NFHS mechanics are not uncommon. Having heard a variety of responses here, and likely more to come, be sure to check with your supervisor or assigner and verify what is expected of you in your area.

Lcubed48 Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 855359)
Me personally:

Fist up...punch the other way while verbalizing "illegal screen." At the table, color, number, illegal screen (while giving a block signal), then team control signal.

When in doubt, follow a moderator! This is also the mechanic that I use.

JRutledge Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:46am

Quote:

Me personally:

Actually the NF sequence is everything you said, but after the "punch" you give the preliminary signal of the type of foul. If an illegal screen and block is what you want to use, then you use that signal. Then you go tot he table as suggested.

I know I may not go through all that process, but that is the official sequence. ;)

Peace

JeroenB Fri Sep 21, 2012 02:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by allpurposegamer (Post 855359)
me personally:

Fist up...punch the other way while verbalizing "illegal screen." at the table, color, number, illegal screen (while giving a block signal), then team control signal.

+1

BillyMac Fri Sep 21, 2012 07:12am

Hey, Bird Dog You're On The Wrong Trail ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 855386)
After the "punch" you give the preliminary signal of the type of foul. If an illegal screen and block is what you want to use, then you use that signal.

Agree.

Also, since many of these illegal screens are away from the ball, I will often use the optional "bird dog" signal.

BillyMac Fri Sep 21, 2012 07:14am

Elementary ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 855386)
Actually the NF sequence is everything you said, but after the "punch" you give the preliminary signal of the type of foul. If an illegal screen and block is what you want to use, then you use that signal. Then you go to the table as suggested.

Don't forget to point to the spot where the ball will be inbounded.

Welpe Fri Sep 21, 2012 07:47am

Quote:

Me personally:

This is how I was taught except instead of "illegal screen", we were taught to say "offense".

BillyMac Fri Sep 21, 2012 01:10pm

Illegal Screen ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 855406)
This is how I was taught except instead of "illegal screen", we were taught to say "offense".

I'll say "Illegal Screen" when I give the block signal.