The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Mechanics Question

ASA.

In two man mechanics, with runners on 1st and 3rd.

Who's responability is to check for runner at 1st leaving before the pitch leaves the hand?

Who's responability is to check for runner at 3rd leaving before the pitch leaves the hand?

Thanks

GaryB

Last edited by GaryBarrentine; Tue Apr 15, 2008 at 10:16am.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBarrentine
ASA.

In two man mechanics, with runners on 1st and 3rd.

Who's responability is to check for runner at 1st leaving early?

Who's responability is to check for runner at 3rd leaving early?

Thanks

GaryB
In normal situations, PU has the fly ball and the touch of the runner at third. BU has the runner at first.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Scott,

Sorry, I will change the question.

What I ment to ask was leaving before the pitch leaves the hand.

Thanks

GaryB
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
In normal situations, PU has the fly ball and the touch of the runner at third. BU has the runner at first.
If you're talking about leaving the base early before the ball is pitched, that has to be the BU. PU has pitcher's hands, stride within the 24", and ball/strike calls -- not runners leaving the base early.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBarrentine
Scott,

Sorry, I will change the question.

What I ment to ask was leaving before the pitch leaves the hand.

Thanks

GaryB

Yep. Argodad is correct. BU has call on both in this situation.

Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

As a practical matter in this situation, you don't want to call the runner at first for leaving early unless it is very obvious. Being in the C position a good distance from the runner at first, you don't have a lot of credibility on that call.

Also, from an advantage/disadvantage perspective, the runner at third has a lot more to gain by getting an extra step or two toward home. It could be the difference between scoring or not on a suicide squeeze play or an infield grounder.

BU should be watching both runners, but more focus should be on the runner at third.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
As a practical matter in this situation, you don't want to call the runner at first for leaving early unless it is very obvious. Being in the C position a good distance from the runner at first, you don't have a lot of credibility on that call.

Also, from an advantage/disadvantage perspective, the runner at third has a lot more to gain by getting an extra step or two toward home. It could be the difference between scoring or not on a suicide squeeze play or an infield grounder.

BU should be watching both runners, but more focus should be on the runner at third.
I'll play devil's advocate for a second and say that I believe the BU's attention in this instance should be more on R2 at 1B rather than R1 at 3B. Even with the distance away from 1B, which runner's the likely one to want to get a jump on advancing? Which one is likely advancing anyway? Coaches are going to send R2 to 2B almost every time. I can't count the number of times I've had to call R2 out leaving early because she just got the steal sign, and was overly anxious to get to 2B.

Plus when the BU is to the right shoulder of F6, I believe that there's a better viewing angle through F1 to see R2 leaving 1B... better than having to turn your head to the right to see R1 at 3B.

Now once R2 gets to 2B, and you have R2 on 2B and R1 still on 3B, then yes, I agree that now the BU's attention should be more focused on R1.

Discussion?
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Talking

In pre-game conf, I always try to tell my partner that as PU i will take third when there is one on first. After the runner moves to second, then the BU has the responsibility
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47
In pre-game conf, I always try to tell my partner that as PU i will take third when there is one on first. After the runner moves to second, then the BU has the responsibility
You must have extreme peripheral vision to focus on the pitcher and see a runner leaving 3rd; not to mention being straightlined by the runner to the base.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

So I've wondered why is the mechanic not to have the PU take the runner on 2nd anyway. That's basically where I'm looking anyway and it's pretty easy to catch.

I've seen it several times and laid off because I don't want to be stealing a call or causing trouble. Should I make that call?
________
DEPAKOTE PROBLEMS

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:10pm.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I'll play devil's advocate for a second and say that I believe the BU's attention in this instance should be more on R2 at 1B rather than R1 at 3B. Even with the distance away from 1B, which runner's the likely one to want to get a jump on advancing? Which one is likely advancing anyway? Coaches are going to send R2 to 2B almost every time.
But how often do you actually see an attempt to get R2 out on the steal? Most of this type of play that I see, there is no throw or a throw with the intention of an immediate return throw to F2 if R1 tries for home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Now once R2 gets to 2B, and you have R2 on 2B and R1 still on 3B, then yes, I agree that now the BU's attention should be more focused on R1.
I disagree. In this situation, I want to keep equal focus on each runner. R1 for the reasons I stated earlier. On a base hit, a step or two from R2 could be the difference in scoring or not. I think both runners deserve equal attention in this case.

Hey, you asked for discussion!
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47

If you are tracking the pitch properly, and doing the other duties that you already have (making sure the pitcher is legally, watching for a swing/check, seeing if the batter is in the box when she makes contact...etc.), this just isn't possible. If you were to tell me that in a pregame, that is exactly what I would tell you if I were your BU. Leave the call that belongs to the BU to the BU.

Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump
So I've wondered why is the mechanic not to have the PU take the runner on 2nd anyway. That's basically where I'm looking anyway and it's pretty easy to catch.

I've seen it several times and laid off because I don't want to be stealing a call or causing trouble. Should I make that call?
Because your focus should be on the stuff I mentioned in the previous post.

Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Because your focus should be on the stuff I mentioned in the previous post.
Not during the prep of the pitch. I'm watching the pitcher not the batter. With a right handed pitcher if the 2nd base runner steps off I'm going to see it. With a left hander I might not as well, but it's still pretty easy to see.
________
VAPORIZER WIKI

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:10pm.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump
Not during the prep of the pitch. I'm watching the pitcher not the batter. With a right handed pitcher if the 2nd base runner steps off I'm going to see it. With a left hander I might not as well, but it's still pretty easy to see.
She would have to be at least a couple of steps off, or else you would have a) x-ray vision, or b) a transparent pitcher. In short, there is no way that you can actually see the foot leave the bag. I am not saying that it is completely impossible for a PU to make this call (when the runner is a few steps off the bag), just extremely difficult, and obviously a distraction to what you should be doing. Just leave it where the books and clinics tell you it should be, in the realm of the BU.