The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 04:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We are considering some major changes in our rating system. We are considering not allowing new junior varsity officials (first year, second year, maybe third year) to rate varsity officials. However, they should probably stick around to observe the varsity guys, even if they don't have to rate them, they might learn something.
Some things are cultural: JV officials staying for the first half of the varsity game, for example. Others are actual expectations that are spelled out in writing: not showing up for varsity games in jeans, for example.

As for the reliance of your rating system upon officials coming way early or staying way late:
1. Why do you have JV officials rating varsity officials? That seems like a waste of time. Do any varsity officials actually take such critique seriously?
2. Why not leave it up to the JV officials to request and schedule their evaluations? That's how we do it, and it works. All officials are expected to get three evaluations per season, and it's up to us to contact evaluators ahead of time so they come early.
3. Every time I get a chance, when I know there's a respected official watching any portion of my game, I ask "Did you see anything" (or something to that effect). This gives me a lot of informal feedback.

This system doesn't require varsity officials to get there obscenely early every single game (which as Rich points out, wouldn't be possible for most of them to do).

Here's an example of cultural expectations that should be passed down:

My first season in a different association, I got assigned as the driver to a road trip. I drove and didn't think twice about it.

At the next meeting, we had "break out" sessions with "dilemmas" to go over, and one of the groups was given the following "dilemma." "The driver to your out of town game is given a mileage check, but doesn't buy snacks and drinks for the road."

I got the message, but it would have been nice to avoid that embarrassment to begin with.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 04:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
"The driver to your out of town game is given a mileage check, but doesn't buy snacks and drinks for the road."

I got the message, but it would have been nice to avoid that embarrassment to begin with.
Stupid message. Do the riders chip in for your gas and wear/tear costs?
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 04:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Stupid message. Do the riders chip in for your gas and wear/tear costs?
$10 out of a $40 mileage check isn't huge, but I agree with you.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 05:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
With my friends, the driver nevers buys any of his own snacks or fast food meals. Passenger take care of all that. If there is no mileage stipend, then passenger(s) also take care of the gas if it's a long trip.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Sep 11, 2012 at 01:19pm.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 05:53pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I wish.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Do the riders chip in for your gas and wear/tear costs?
We only have a few schools that are waaay out there where we earn a stipend. The few times I have driven my P's I have been surprised and sorely disappointed that they haven't even offered.......oh well. We're not in it for the money, right?

But still.........common courtesy for me.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 06:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
We only have a few schools that are waaay out there where we earn a stipend. The few times I have driven my P's I have been surprised and sorely disappointed that they haven't even offered.......oh well. We're not in it for the money, right?

But still.........common courtesy for me.
Here, the stipend is considered sufficient. We get a $2 bonus on our city games, but occasionally will car pool to the long ones (some of these games are upwards of 30 minutes (without traffic) from my house. On those, when I ride with someone, I'll offer something (even of it's just a beverage).
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's the problem. It doesn't work here; anymore. It used to work here, until about five, or ten, years ago, and then all our local customs seemed to "go out the window".
I was referring to your system of evaluating fellow officials and showing up in the 1st quarter of the JV game.

You don't have retired officials or board officers who could conduct evaluations, especially on newer members.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 06:31pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
On those, when I ride with someone, I'll offer something (even of it's just a beverage).
I'll stop by and pick you up!
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 07:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ratings, Rankings, Games Assigned ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You have mentioned ratings and I am confused why these ratings matter so much? I guess I am not understanding why the ratings are more important than some gut about who has the stuff and who does not.
Our officials rate every official that they see in a board assigned game, be it as a partner, as an observer of the other game in the doubleheader, or as someone just sitting in the stands. These are numerical ratings are based on:

APPEARANCE AND CONDITIONING
Official is in physical condition and exhibits hustle and energy through the game.
Official’s uniform and overall appearance is neat, clean and well kept.

MECHANICS
Utilizes proper mechanics, up-to-date techniques and procedures as detailed in the IAABO Officials Manual.
Performs accurate foul reporting and clock administration.
Has a resonant, strong voice that is supported by proper mechanics for purpose of clarification.

TEAM WORK
Has the ability to work effectively as a “team” with his/her fellow official.
Arrives on time; actively participate in the pre-game.
Actively participate in the post-game.
Accepts criticism.
Shares the responsibility and avoids attempts to shift the blame.

JUDGMENT
Presents a thorough knowledge of the rules of basketball.
Uses unbiased judgment and common sense in applying the rules of the game.
Appears to make his/her decision with consideration to the effect the calling, or equally as important, the not calling of a rule violation will have.
Is consistent in all calls regardless of situation or point of time in the game. For example, consistency in the determination of a block vs. a charge.
Reacts quickly enough to make a decision at the moment of its occurrence.
Makes quick and positive decisions, especially with respect to the “close ones”.

GAME MANAGEMENT
Demonstrates control of the game.

LEADERSHIP, ABLE TO RUN THE GAME
Communicates with coaches, partners and table.
Is courteous and polite
Exhibits a confident manner i.e. attention to detail, alertness, firmness, and
timeliness of his/her reaction to a situation.
Remains consistent when calling violations or fouls without regard to the score, whom it may hurt, or how it may effect future relations with the coach. Has a quiet influence on the game that relieves tensions and creates a steady effect upon contestants (both players and coaches alike).
Has control of his/her emotions.
Takes the time to prevent an error from being made.

Peer ratings make up 80% of an officials overall rating for the year. The remaining 20% is based on general meeting attendance, attendance at the refresher exam meeting (full credit if you show up with an exam with answers, right answers, or wrong answers), and an assignment commissioner rating (availability, up to date Arbiter information, turnbacks, missed assignments, etc.).

Ratings are tabulated and averaged in with the previous two year's ratings, to come up with a three year average. The three year average is used to calculate the official's ranking in the local board (325 members, so basically a ranking of 1 to 325, with a few caveats). The rankings are used by the commissioner to assign games, the higher the ranking the higher the level of games assigned (middle school, freshman, junior varsity, varsity) and the more games an official can be assigned (minimum five, maximum forty three).

Quote:
Why do you have JV officials rating varsity officials? That seems like a waste of time. Do any varsity officials actually take such critique seriously?
There is a proposal on the table that new subvarsity officials (first year, second year, maybe third year) not rate varsity officials. And, yes, we do take these ratings from subvarsity officials seriously since they count just as much as ratings from varsity officials (see above).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 11, 2012 at 10:55am.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 07:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Learn By Observing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Heck the (junior varsity) officials could stay and watch the varsity game and then ask questions and learn from watching.
The good ones do, staying for the entire varsity game, and participating in the post varsity game conference, and they often move up faster than the ones that don't. That's one of the reasons (there are others, i.e. ratings, fill in for injured, or sick varsity official, remember, we're a two person state) why we want the junior varsity officials to stay until at least halftime of the varsity game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 10, 2012 at 07:53pm.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 07:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Observe Two Periods ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I was referring to your system of evaluating fellow officials and showing up in the 1st quarter of the JV game.
Showing up for the jump ball of the junior varsity game is strictly voluntary, although many of us try to do it. Varsity officials are expected to be there at the start of the second period, observe two periods of the junior varsity game, and then retreat to the dressing room at the beginning of the junior varsity fourth period.

Back more than thirty years ago, when I started, junior varsity games pretty much universally started at 6:00 p.m., and varsity games started at 7:30 p.m. Today, most junior varsity games start at 5:30 p.m., and most varsity games start at 7:00 p.m.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 10, 2012 at 07:57pm.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 07:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Idea, But ...

Quote:
You don't have retired officials or board officers who could conduct evaluations, especially on newer members.
We've thought about it, but the numbers just don't add up. Too many active officials. Too many schools. Too many games. Not enough interested retired officials. Not enough money to give retired officials a stipend to evaluate talent. We've had problems just trying to set up a few mentor-mentee pairings.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 10, 2012 at 07:59pm.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You didn't read what I wrote.

"Because leaving 2-3 hours early for a 6pm game is excessive.

Example: My game starts at 6pm and is a 1:15 drive. I would leave at 4:00 as to arrive 45 minutes before game time. Usually we're traveling as a crew so there's plenty of time to talk basketball. I'm not in a metropolitan area, so I don't have traffic concerns.

To arrive before the beginning of the second quarter of the JV game, I would have to leave by 3pm.

JV game starts at 4pm. They typically end around 5:30 but there's always the ocassional long game or OT. At 5:40, 15 minutes goes on the game clock. At 5:55 we have the National Anthem and introdi=uction so we can toss the ball at 6pm.

So yes, leaving 3 hours before MY scheduled game time of 6pm is excessive and I would not do it.

I did read what you wrote....it appears we're working under a different set of assumptions that were not clear to me.

I was commenting on a JV game usually starting 1.5 hours before and you were talking about a 2 hour separation (it seems).

You were talking about doing a pregame in route where I was under the assumption you'd meet at the game site....as is the case 99% of the time here.

You're not in a metro area, I am (and most officials are...a majority of the people in the US live in urban areas). Due the unpredictability, I'm a lot more comfortable targeting arrival 1 hour before....leaves time for problems...and I have used up so much time on occasion that I still arrive 30 minutes before tipoff.

All that said, I'd agree with you that getting there by the start of the 2nd Q under your circumstances is a bit excessive.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 09:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The good ones do, staying for the entire varsity game, and participating in the post varsity game conference, and they often move up faster than the ones that don't. That's one of the reasons (there are others, i.e. ratings, fill in for injured, or sick varsity official, remember, we're a two person state) why we want the junior varsity officials to stay until at least halftime of the varsity game.
Why not come up with some "best practices" that have seemed to work, instead of mandating rules that have holes in actual application.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

LOL, I wish our longest trip was 30 minutes. I'll be lucky if I get two sub 30-minute trips per week this season. We have some schools really close, and some very far away....up to two hours one way.