View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
You didn't read what I wrote.

"Because leaving 2-3 hours early for a 6pm game is excessive.

Example: My game starts at 6pm and is a 1:15 drive. I would leave at 4:00 as to arrive 45 minutes before game time. Usually we're traveling as a crew so there's plenty of time to talk basketball. I'm not in a metropolitan area, so I don't have traffic concerns.

To arrive before the beginning of the second quarter of the JV game, I would have to leave by 3pm.

JV game starts at 4pm. They typically end around 5:30 but there's always the ocassional long game or OT. At 5:40, 15 minutes goes on the game clock. At 5:55 we have the National Anthem and introdi=uction so we can toss the ball at 6pm.

So yes, leaving 3 hours before MY scheduled game time of 6pm is excessive and I would not do it.

I did read what you wrote....it appears we're working under a different set of assumptions that were not clear to me.

I was commenting on a JV game usually starting 1.5 hours before and you were talking about a 2 hour separation (it seems).

You were talking about doing a pregame in route where I was under the assumption you'd meet at the game site....as is the case 99% of the time here.

You're not in a metro area, I am (and most officials are...a majority of the people in the US live in urban areas). Due the unpredictability, I'm a lot more comfortable targeting arrival 1 hour before....leaves time for problems...and I have used up so much time on occasion that I still arrive 30 minutes before tipoff.

All that said, I'd agree with you that getting there by the start of the 2nd Q under your circumstances is a bit excessive.