Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 06:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

Mandates ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Why not come up with some "best practices" that have seemed to work, instead of mandating rules that have holes in actual application.
All of these "customs" worked for over twenty of the thirty-one years that I've officiated. As I said earlier, our recent problems with these customs seems to be related to a sudden influx of new officials unlike anything we've ever seen in the history of our local board, and the "more democratic, less dictatorial" style of recent leadership.

Nothing mentioned in my article is mandated. It's expected, but not mandated. There is no penalty for not following any of these expectations.

We're just trying to be a professional organization, one that we can all be proud of. Many years ago, athletic directors would often comment on how professional we were compared to other sports associations, that we never seemed to act in a "get in, get out, get paid" manner, we arrived professionally in dress clothes (ties, and maybe jackets back then), and that we were always trying to help, and educate each other. We seldom hear comments like those anymore. How sad?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 11, 2012 at 02:33pm.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

It seems odd to me that varsity officials would be getting evaluations done by JV officials who in many cases would want to take their jobs.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 04:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Yes, That's Right, I Said Black Belts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
It seems odd to me that varsity officials would be getting evaluations done by JV officials who in many cases would want to take their jobs.
Which is why there is a proposal on the table that the newer subvarsity officials (first year, second year, maybe third year) not rate varsity officials. The reasoning behind the proposal is that officials with only a few years under their "black belts" may not know how to properly rate varsity officials.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 04:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Which is why there is a proposal on the table that the newer subvarsity officials (first year, second year, maybe third year) not rate varsity officials. The reasoning behind the proposal is that officials with only a few years under their "black belts" may not know how to properly rate varsity officials.
I'm more curious about the reasoning behind having JV officials rate varsity officials anyway.

1. Why do you need an evaluation every single game? That seems excessive and overly burdensome.

2. In general, I wouldn't think it's appropriate to have evaluations done by lesser officials actually count towards anything meaningful.

IOW, I agree with the proposal you mention, but I don't think it goes far enough. I don't think officials should be giving evaluations until they're working varsity games, at least not evaluations that carry any weight towards rankings, assignments, or status. Why would a 5 year JV ref have any input to give a 20 year varsity ref? I don't get it.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Do The Math ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Why do you need an evaluation every single game?
The more ratings an official gets, the more accurate the ratings are going to be.

Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 06:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Three And Ready ...

Quote:
I don't think officials should be giving evaluations until they're working varsity games.
Around here, officials who work three seasons after their "cadet" season are eligible to work some varsity games. Maybe it won't be high level varsity games. Maybe it won't be a ton of varsity games, but they are considered eligible.

Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 07:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The more ratings an official gets, the more accurate the ratings are going to be.
Not if they're being done by officials who have no business giving evaluations.

And I didn't say the evaluations should be done by people "eligible" for varsity.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 07:59pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Around here, officials who work three seasons after their "cadet" season are eligible to work some varsity games. Maybe it won't be high level varsity games. Maybe it won't be a ton of varsity games, but they are considered eligible.
I'm starting to take nearly all the best young officials away from the old-guard association where I live in the sport I officiate. I occasionally see second-year guys who can already work rings around some of the old guard, and they work varsity--NOW. If they get the job done with white on their shoes, viva la blanca, I say. Tenure in and of itself doesn't mean a whole lot to me. If a second-year guy and a ten-year guy are approximately even in ability, they get about the same amount of work.

Don't misunderstand--nearly all of my top guys have a few notches in their belts. Experience matters, but it isn't all that matters. If a guy is ready at age 20, he's ready. Ask the California Angels and the Washington Nationals.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 06:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

What ??? They Don't Wear Sansabelts ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Nearly all of my top guys have a few notches in their belts.
I assume that the belts are all black.

Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 08:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
I'm starting to take nearly all the best young officials away from the old-guard association where I live in the sport I officiate. I occasionally see second-year guys who can already work rings around some of the old guard, and they work varsity--NOW. If they get the job done with white on their shoes, viva la blanca, I say. Tenure in and of itself doesn't mean a whole lot to me. If a second-year guy and a ten-year guy are approximately even in ability, they get about the same amount of work.

Don't misunderstand--nearly all of my top guys have a few notches in their belts. Experience matters, but it isn't all that matters. If a guy is ready at age 20, he's ready. Ask the California Angels and the Washington Nationals.
There is the rare 20 year old who's ready, but you have to count experience somehow, too. I'm less interested in technical proficiency at times and more interested in how an official reacts when the s&@# hits the fan. I'm not saying that a more experienced official will handle situations better, but I've probably had to see more situations and deal with more crap than a second year official, and that should count for something.

Of course there's always the official that has one year of experience 25 times...
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Showers? Secure dressing rooms?

I don't know about these places. Places we go to get ready include a teachers' lounge where people are coming in and out all the time, a band room, the end of the bench, coach's offices and training rooms. A few places have good places to change but often that is only if it is a boy's game.

I work varsity only at generally smaller schools. My partner and I come dressed but with our regular winter outerwear on. Can't shower if there is no shower.

Do I care? Not really. I am there to work the game to help the players.

I like a lot that your members need to confirm games. Our regulations require it but unless there is an issue, I don't know if all the officials do it. I do find that younger people don't like rules as much as guys my age (late 50's) so our association tries to not be overburdensome.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 05:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post

I don't know about these places. Places we go to get ready include a teachers' lounge where people are coming in and out all the time, a band room, the end of the bench, coach's offices and training rooms. A few places have good places to change but often that is only if it is a boy's game.

I work varsity only at generally smaller schools. My partner and I come dressed but with our regular winter outerwear on. Can't shower if there is no shower.

I like a lot that your members need to confirm games. Our regulations require it but unless there is an issue, I don't know if all the officials do it. I do find that younger people don't like rules as much as guys my age (late 50's) so our association tries to not be overburdensome.
Interesting. I've worked small town rural games, and we've always had a place to dress, even when there's been no shower. I can live with that, but I'd have a hard time accepting having to change my shoes on the end of the bench for a varsity game.

As for confirming games. We're supposed to as well, but the only way you'll get in trouble for not doing it is if someone doesn't show. At that point, it's good to have the email traffic, "Hey Bob, Billy didn't show up. But he said he was coming."

I prefer email for that reason (and others), but I'll make a phone call if I haven't heard back the day before a game. With the advent of Arbiter, I confess I'm not as good about confirming with the school as I am with getting a hold of partners.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 06:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Game Confirmations ...

Quote:
As for confirming games. We're supposed to as well, but the only way you'll get in trouble for not doing it is if someone doesn't show.
I confirm every game that I'm assigned to. On a few occasions I have received replies from athletic directors that go something like this: "Your email confirmation reminded me that we switched that game from 7:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. because of mid-year exams. I forgot to make the change with your assignment commissioner. I will contact him right away."

If I didn't confirm that game, and then no officials showed up for the 4:00 p.m. game, who do you think would get blamed? If you answered the athletic director, then your half right. My assignment commissioner would question me as to why I didn't confirm the game, so, in essence, I would share the blame with the athletic director.

It's not a steadfast rule that we always confirm games, but it's very strongly recommended. When things go smoothly, not confirming games isn't a big problem. But when things get screwed up, that's when our assignment commissioner gets really upset with us for not confirming games, and as all of you know, officials don't want to go around upsetting their assignment commissioners. It's not very healthy to do that. Am I right?

Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 06:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

This is something I do care about. I'm expected to show up at games (I only work varsity) dressed a certain way so I expect to be able to shower and leave the venue the same way, especially in winter temperatures. I sweat profusely and if the game has any type of fast-breaking my shirt is going to be soaked. If they aren't going to provide a shower then I should be able to show up in a sweat suit.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 07:17pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs up

Quote:
100% of the time here. Some of course are better than others. It is greatly appreciated.