The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Does your association...

assign you to games that you really aren't trained to umpire? I finished my high school season two weeks last week, and I've had three Little League games since then. In the Arbiter, it only shows the game as being either an 8-12 FP game or a 13-18 FP game, so I don't even know what ruleset the game is going to follow until I talk to the coaches.

The problem is, I am just an ASA and NFHS umpire. I don't even have a Little League rulebook. Last year I had just a few LL games, and before my first one I asked the question here regarding rule differences and printed the responses out and read them last year and again reviewed them this year.

All my partners last year and this year don't seem too concerned with not knowing LL rules, but today I got bit by not knowing LL pitching rules (which I will post in a separate thread). It doesn't help when even the coaches don't know what rules they follow. Most of them have never heard of ASA, and they usually inform me that they "mostly" follow high school rules. Tonight I finally dragged out of one of the coaches that they were a LL team, but then he still insisted that they followed high school rules.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

No. My summer association assigns ASA games during the week and we join with another group for some weekend tournaments - when there is nothing locally.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

I don't mean any disrespect, but it sounds like the fault is in two hands: yours and the organization's. If you're at all uncomfortable with some of your assignments because of a lack of a rule book, look into getting one. However, if your organization does not properly prepare you, then they're at just as much fault, as they are pretty much hanging you out to dry.

If I'm not prepared to call a certain level of game or a particular rule book, I make it known to those trying to assign me. There's a reason why I only call ASA slow pitch: I don't bother with the fast pitch or modified rules.

See if you can get a rule book for LL. It'll keep you from nightmare situations.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
The problem is, I am just an ASA and NFHS umpire. I don't even have a Little League rulebook. ...
then dont accept the games - simple
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Why do LL games if you are not registered as a LL umpire? If they are not going to register you...if they are not going to give you a rule book...I don't care if it's LL or whatever else, don't take the games. Besides not knowing the rules, if you get hurt it's gonna be tough love at the doctor's office because it will likely be YOUR dime.

And as for keeping you from those nightmare situations in LL, a rule book won't be enough if they allow parents to attend games.
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
In the Arbiter, it only shows the game as being either an 8-12 FP game or a 13-18 FP game, so I don't even know what ruleset the game is going to follow...

That's why I stated this in my OP. There is absolutely no difference in the way a LL game shows up versus a summer high school game...well unless it's listed as an 8-12 FP game but then that might turn out to be an ASA game. And if I start turning down games, I can pretty much forget about working for this association. Maybe that's what I'll end up doing anyway.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Our ASA association started booking my hometown's LL games this year- with it specifically stated in the contract, that ASA rules were to be followed. I get assigned there quite a bit (it is about five minutes from my house ), and have had no problems...even the local LL District coordinator or whatever has sat and watched a couple of my games, and has never interfered with me rules-wise..he only asks what the ASA rule is in certain situations...And yes, they seem very very happy to see something other than a 'kid in a t-shirt'...
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

In arbiter is a little box called "Decline"...

well that or learn the rules of the games you are working.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2007, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I don't mean any disrespect, but it sounds like the fault is in two hands: yours and the organization's. If you're at all uncomfortable with some of your assignments because of a lack of a rule book, look into getting one. However, if your organization does not properly prepare you, then they're at just as much fault, as they are pretty much hanging you out to dry.

If I'm not prepared to call a certain level of game or a particular rule book, I make it known to those trying to assign me. There's a reason why I only call ASA slow pitch: I don't bother with the fast pitch or modified rules.

See if you can get a rule book for LL. It'll keep you from nightmare situations.
Three hands, and the third is the most culpable. It's the league's BOD, or whoever hires an umpire association who doesn't have LL qualified umpires.

Bob