peace
+2
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 10:12am
This IS My Social Life

I'll Pile On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
+2
+7(3.14/(number of officials in the crew + x))-(23(level of contest/timeouts left) + (# of jersey numbers over 55))

(slow day at work today )

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Sep 08, 2012 at 10:14am.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 10:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Things That Make You Go Hmmm ...

Situation A: Team A prepares to make a "run the endline throwin". Only two Team A players are in the backcourt, A1, standing out of bounds, with the ball, and A2, standing inbounds, on the weak side, below the bottom lane space block, just a few inches off the endline. A1 releases a pass to A2 and B1 crosses the endline to knock away the pass. What's the call? I'm sure that we would all agree that this is a legal defensive play since the inbounds pass had already been released.

Situation B: Team A prepares to make a "run the endline throwin". Only two Team A players are in the backcourt, A1, standing out of bounds, with the ball, and A2, standing out of bounds, on the weak side. A1 releases a pass to A2 and B1 crosses the endline to knock away the pass. What's the call? I'm sure that we would all agree that B1 would be charged with a technical foul, with no warning, for crossing the endline and touching the ball before the inbounds pass had already been released. And, of course, the technical foul would also "count" as a warning for any further delay of game situations.

Now the fun starts.

Situation C: Team A prepares to make a "run the endline throwin". Only three Team A players are in the backcourt, A1, standing out of bounds, with the ball; A2, standing out of bounds, on the weak side (A2 arrived in this position after his momentum, while defending a Team B player, took him out of bounds); and A3, standing inbounds, on the weak side, below the bottom lane space block, just a few inches off the endline, and just a few inches away from A2, who is on the other, out of bounds side, of the endline. A1 releases a pass, in the general direction of both A2, and A3, and B1 crosses the endline to knock away the pass. What's the call?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Sep 08, 2012 at 11:21am.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 10:48am
This IS My Social Life

Well..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Situation B: Team A prepares to make a "run the endline throwin". Only two Team A players are in the backcourt, A1, standing out of bounds, with the ball, and A2, standing out of bounds, on the weak side. A1 releases a pass to A2 and B1 crosses the endline to knock away the pass. What's the call? I'm sure that we would all agree that B1 would be charged with a technical foul, with no warning, for crossing the endline and touching the ball before the inbounds pass had already been released.
Not sure whether I agree. This sitch seems like a 10-1-5c which would result in a 4-47-1.
Or am I missing something?

Still trying to fathom Situation C.....
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 11:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

9-2-Penalty 3 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Not sure whether I agree (Situation B). Or am I missing something?
If an opponent(s) reaches through the throw-in boundary-line plane and
touches or dislodges the ball while in possession of the thrower or being
passed to a teammate outside the boundary line (as in 7-5-7), a technical
foul shall be charged to the offender. No warning for delay required. See
10-3-10 Penalty.

10-3-10: A player shall not: Reach through the throw-in boundary-line plane and touch or
dislodge the ball as in 9-2 Penalty 3.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Sep 08, 2012 at 11:07am.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 11:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

With C, it would have to be excruciatingly obvious that the pass was destined for the OOB teammate before I call the T (or DOG).
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Situation C: Team A prepares to make a "run the endline throwin". Only three Team A players are in the backcourt, A1, standing out of bounds, with the ball; A2, standing out of bounds, on the weak side (A2 arrived in this position after his momentum, while defending a Team B player, took him out of bounds); and A3, standing inbounds, on the weak side, below the bottom lane space block, just a few inches off the endline, and just a few inches away from A2, who is on the other, out of bounds side, of the endline. A1 releases a pass, in the general direction of both A2, and A3, and B1 crosses the endline to knock away the pass. What's the call?
I have nothing. If the situation is truly ambiguous, I'm going with the legal option over calling a T. We simply have to make a judgement about whether it was an inbound pass or not.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

In situation C I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the defense.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 11:44am
This IS My Social Life

Oh Yeah...A Duh

Quote:
If an opponent(s) reaches through the throw-in boundary-line plane and
touches or dislodges the ball while in possession of the thrower or being
passed to a teammate outside the boundary line (as in 7-5-7), a technical
foul shall be charged to the offender. No warning for delay required. See
10-3-10 Penalty.

10-3-10: A player shall not: Reach through the throw-in boundary-line plane and touch or
dislodge the ball as in 9-2 Penalty 3.
Thanx for the missing component as stated in your first citation. I knew that. Where did I leave my keys?
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 11:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Now, Why Did I Walk Into This Room ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Where did I leave my keys?
If you find them, please let me know if my reading glasses are in the same place.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Sep 08, 2012 at 12:00pm.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
OK just for kicks..........

If I reach across the plane AND touch the ball, "BY RULE"...........didn't I violate first.........
I swing my elbow and clock you in the face. Didn't I violate first?

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sat Sep 08, 2012 at 05:21pm.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Honestly you cannot speak for everyone here, but I have not seen a player at the high school level even get close to a technical or intentional foul on a throw-in. The times when I have had to actually call this were a middle school and below and that was early in my career.

Peace
I think I have given two technicals for slapping the ball while the thrower had it in his hands. Both were obvious and couldn't and shouldn't have been ignored.

Apparently you have not seen how bad some of the basketball is in places far from you.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 12:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I think I have given two technicals for slapping the ball while the thrower had it in his hands. Both were obvious and couldn't and shouldn't have been ignored.

Apparently you have not seen how bad some of the basketball is in places far from you.
In high school games?
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 12:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post

There is bad basketball everywhere and I see a lot of it during every season. A lot of very bad coached teams I will see every season as well.

But you said that this was ignored as if that it was only not being called because people decided not to call this violation of the rules. I just do not work a lot of basketball where this is even an issue. And I think it is more the case because older players know better, than how well coached they are.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I swing my elbow and clock you in the face. Didn't I violate first?
Not a valid comparison.

It is still a foul, a technical foul specifically, to clock someone in the face with an elbow even during a dead ball.

However, there is nothing illegal about contacting a ball that is dead.

That, of course, is not to say that the case play on this topic is wrong.....just that your example doesn't work.