The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

DoG on Inbound throw-in

In 1k games my first 2.5 years of officiating I have called 20 DoG for kids reaching heavily through the inbound plane after trying to talk them back. I have also watched a lot of games. My partners and in those other games I have only seen this DoG called a few times. My personality is this gives the defense an advantage and well they aren't heading the warning and to actually call it.

I am beginning to wonder if a lot of officials let them get away with moderate infringement because they dont want to have to stop the game and go over and report it because it seems embarrassing or not not severe enough to stop a game.

I dont want to slow my climb up the ladder by being to picky on this call and the one where kids hit the line on free throw attempts.

I need some advice and look forward to it today. Thanks in advance.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 11:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Depends on level of games you are officiating.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

I know of a lot of officials here that ignore players reaching through the plane on a throw-in. I know of several that knowingly ignore calling a technical when a player contacts the ball after reaching through the plane. Sadly these aren't the only things they ignore. A lot of guys just don't want to rock the boat.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 12:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

The goal for many is to call the obvious. Now I cannot tell you if all your DOG calls were legit or too technical, but I want to call the obvious ones that affect play as a general rule of thumb. Remember you are in many cases the only one there to know how much someone has crossed the line. And this is really the case if they are just and inch or so over the line (not talking about the feet over the line either). Also I do a lot of preventative officiating which I believe prevents this from being a common occurrence in my games. So what happen earlier in my career is not necessarily what happens later in my career. So it could be that you are being a little technical with your lack of overall experience. It could also be that you have just had a lot of these situations that you have had to deal with. There is honestly no real one answer for this, you just have to take a personal inventory and decide if this is something you want to be known for and can you prevent it better.

I hope that helps a little.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Before I administer the throw-in, if the defender is playing close to the line, I give a reminder to not cross the plane. In that same vein, I'll remind the thrower he can back up as far as he/she needs to. After giving the ball to the thrower, I'm more focused on the immediate action on the court (cutter, screens, holds, etc.) so I'm not going to be too worried about if the defender has crossed the plane just a little bit. If I'm going to get this call it's going to be clear and obvious.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 01:38pm
This IS My Social Life

What Else Ought We not Call So As Not to Stop the Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I need some advice and look forward to it today. Thanks in advance.
They made provision for us to give a warning prior to issuing the penalty so that we'd be more inclined to enforce this.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Three great replies.

I have been trying to talk to the defender before I had off the ball. Especially when I notice early on how aggressive the inbound defense is.

I like all these ideas.

I will communicate with the defender and remind the offense to back off the line. I will focus on the players. Yet if doing that and out of the corner of my eye I see clear crossing over the plane I will blow it and give the warning. Normally after this I tell the defense "I dont want to call the T please give them space" Is that to forward. Should it be my normal dont break the plane? I have tried to only call the ones that were beyond 3-6 inches.

Again thanks for the responses.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Rut is Right !!!!!! Is this a campaign slogan in 2012?????

God.............. I know that I am going to get killed for supporting Rut!!!!

Big T - just a thought here ( the RULES GUYS) won't like this, but try this on for size.

A1 reaches through the plane and hits the ball, either a pass or in the inbounders hand, well he violated when he reached through the plane. You can always blow your whistle and call the violation for breaking the plane and not call an unwarranted T. You will know when player is actually attempting to reach through the plane to touch the ball. When THAT occurs, then you have a T.....

Just a little game management......

OK here comes all the rules guys with why I am wrong
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 04:26pm
Back from the DL

It's probably better to ask your assigner what he thinks, than what we think here.

The only time that my assigner observed me last year, I had a DOG plane violation. I saw my assigner a week later, and he gave me a big thumbs up for calling that. If your assigner feels differently about it, just do what the boss says.

And BigT, you can sum up your advice to the defense in only a few words, "Watch the line, 44 (or applicable number)."
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 05:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Three great replies.

I have been trying to talk to the defender before I had off the ball. Especially when I notice early on how aggressive the inbound defense is.

I like all these ideas.

I will communicate with the defender and remind the offense to back off the line. I will focus on the players. Yet if doing that and out of the corner of my eye I see clear crossing over the plane I will blow it and give the warning. Normally after this I tell the defense "I dont want to call the T please give them space" Is that to forward. Should it be my normal dont break the plane? I have tried to only call the ones that were beyond 3-6 inches.

Again thanks for the responses.
I have said something of that sort so they realize how serious the penalty is if they do more than just cross the line. Then again this is something usually older players do not do as much as younger players. But I probably always say something before throwing the ball in when there is pressure on the thrower. It takes a second to not have a bigger problem later.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 05:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post

Big T - just a thought here ( the RULES GUYS) won't like this, but try this on for size.

A1 reaches through the plane and hits the ball, either a pass or in the inbounders hand, well he violated when he reached through the plane. You can always blow your whistle and call the violation for breaking the plane and not call an unwarranted T. You will know when player is actually attempting to reach through the plane to touch the ball. When THAT occurs, then you have a T.....

You can get away with this in most lower level games. I don't bother trying, but some do and that's fine.

But I hope you realize once the thrower releases his inbound pass, the defensive restrictions are over.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 05:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You can get away with this in most lower level games. I don't bother trying, but some do and that's fine.

But I hope you realize once the thrower releases his inbound pass, the defensive restrictions are over.
So if A1 has a non-designated spot throw-in and is throwing the ball to A2 who is also OOB B2 can stick his hand across the plane and hit the ball?
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 05:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nice Post ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I hope you realize once the thrower releases his inbound pass, the defensive restrictions are over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So if A1 has a non-designated spot throw-in and is throwing the ball to A2 who is also OOB B2 can stick his hand across the plane and hit the ball?
In this case, A1 to A2 is not considered an inbounds pass.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 06:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In this case, A1 to A2 is not considered an inbounds pass.
What he said.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post

There, I fixed it for you, and that is also why you are wrong.

The NFHS people actually took the time to write a nice case play on this so that it would be officiated consistently and correctly instructing us to penalize the entire act when the player breaks the plane AND contacts the ball in the thrower's hand(s), yet you choose to do your own personal thing.

Your line of thinking on this is strange.
Do you also not call fouls because the defender wasn't actually attempting to foul?
I can hear it now, "No, coach, that's not a foul because he was trying to hit the ball, but missed and whacked your shooter's arm. He wasn't actually trying to foul him."