The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The ball went completely through and cleared the net and then bounced back through the ring. Should have been a made basket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
BNR is correct...the ball did actually clear the net....and was actually a good basket.

But let's assume it didn't...in a NFHS/NCAA/NBA game, it would be basket interference for touching the ball while it was in the basket. The only way you could play on is if the ball didn't clear the net because it somehow got caught up/snagged in the net and popped back out.
From the clips in the link (the repeating gifs), it appears it didn't "completely" clear the net as required thus it would be BI under NFHS and NCAA.

EDIT: I was able to view the gif frame-by-frame. Unless there is another video with a different angle, you can't tell that the ball was completely clear of the net before it hit him. It appears to me that it was probably still in contact with the net at least a little bit when it hit him and bounced back up.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Aug 07, 2012 at 11:40am.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Once the ball passes entirely through the basket (net included) it should be a successful try. IMO, the ball clearly & positively passed through the net before going back through the basket from below.
Sure --- I'm just saying that the officials on the spot obviously thought differently.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 11:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
From the clips in the link (the repeating gifs), it appears it didn't "completely" clear the net as required thus it would be BI under NFHS and NCAA.

EDIT: I was able to view the gif frame-by-frame. Unless there is another video with a different angle, you can't tell that the ball was completely clear of the net before it hit him. It appears to me that it was probably still in contact with the net at least a little bit when it hit him and bounced back up.
Good point, NFHS and NCAA, you're stopping the game either way.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

I watched the game live and they had a replay angle that showed the ball clearing the net...albeit not by much. Very understandable as to why this was passed on in real time.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Sure --- I'm just saying that the officials on the spot obviously thought differently.
True, unfortunately we cant hit the rewind button while working games.

Watching it with the wife she says, I thought you said its a basket when the ball clears the net?

I said, true.

Well the ball hit him in he USA logo & that is well below the net.

I invited her to take the HS test in Nov
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Good point, NFHS and NCAA, you're stopping the game either way.
Now I'm really confused.

So there would be a stoppage in NCAA? Just when I think things are starting to make sense too ...
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

I'm late to the party on this one everyone.I've never seen this happen to me in a game but I would be looking for a throw in or whistle as my cue to count the basket.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comical View Post
Now I'm really confused.

So there would be a stoppage in NCAA? Just when I think things are starting to make sense too ...
I hope this will clear it up.

1) IF the ball (in the opinion of the referee) cleared the net before contacting anything, it's a basket.
2) IF the ball (in the opinion of the referee) contacted the player before clearing the net, it's basket interference.

Given 1 and 2 - and given that play did NOT stop in the game we're talking about - the referees on the spot who had to see this in real-time, from 1 angle, must have ruled that neither 1 or 2 happened... they must have felt that the ball went into the net, and snapped back out - which in ANY code is simply - Play On.

Granted - it's pretty clear they were wrong, although you've seen some disagreement as to whether it was (1) or (2). But we have all had the advantage of replays and likely a better angle.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comical View Post
Now I'm really confused.

In a game played under NFHS/NCAA/NBA rules, the only way play is NOT going to be stopped is if the ball popped out of the basket due to catching in the net. Otherwise, if the ball is touched while in the basket, there's going to be a basket interference call, or if the ball cleared, they'd blow the whistle and clarify with everyone that the basket counts, retrieve the ball, and avoid confusion.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 12:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

But in FIBA, the only way you'd stop this is if it cleared the net first. Hitting the dunker before it clears the net is not, apparently, BI.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 12:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

I have no problem with anybody saying they would miss this call in real time as I'm sure I would also.

But to say that watching the replay that you don't see the ball clearing the net and then hitting AI in the chest before passing back up through the basket is bewildering.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

I think I've got it. Thanks, everybody.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 12:41pm
This IS My Social Life

What a Wife You've Got There ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Watching it with the wife she says, I thought you said its a basket when the ball clears the net?
Your wife really talks like that when asking questions about a basketball game you're watching???
Where do I sign up to get my wife lessons?!
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Your wife really talks like that when asking questions about a basketball game you're watching???
Where do I sign up to get my wife lessons?!
Yeah, she's cool until I leave the house to go work my games.
I cant blame her though, I dont believe in the "off-season."
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
But to say that watching the replay that you don't see the ball clearing the net and then hitting AI in the chest before passing back up through the basket is bewildering.
OK, I just went back and looked, frame by frame. There is one frame where it appears the ball has just contacted the player, and the top of the ball is behind net (from the POV of the camera). Depth perception is impossible to see in 2D, and it is not clear at all (especially looking at the immediately preceding frame) that the ball is not still contacting the net.

I grant you that the ball is likely beyond the point within the net where it's making enough contact to still snap the ball back up - but if we're judging BI vs Basket, the ball is not beyond the entirety of the net, and is not clearly lost contact with the net either.

West Houston Mike