The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 11:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Carry, or No Call?

A1 dribbling, commits a clear carry as she tries to go around B1.

As I blow the whistle, B1 slaps the ball before it hits the ground following the ball coming to rest in A1's hand.

The ball has come to rest, and A1 has brought her hand around top again and begun pushing it to the floor. I thought my whistle was quick, but wanted to bring the play here for the good of the cause.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Interesting. But if you break it down, it is really just the oft ask question..."when does a dribble become a dribble?"

Fundamentally, the carry is really either an illegal dribble or a travel. For several years, that was all we had as a carry was not defined in the rule book. Either the player ended the dribble by catching the ball and started another dribble or has moved the feet while holding the ball.

So, would you have called a travel with any variation on this play, probably not.

That leaves illegal dribble. Did they start a new dribble after ending the first? Does releasing the ball constitute the start of a dribble? I think it does. Thus, I think they started a new dribble and violated.

It is just that sometimes, when it is ambiguous, we wait to see what happens next to declare it a dribble. In this case, I think it is fine to have called the violation. The fact that he dribble was intercepted by the defense doesn't make it something other than dribble.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 05:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

From Your Friendly Neighborhood Mythbusters ...

Palming or carrying is when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 11:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Palming or carrying is when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble.
????

Where was the myth in my post?
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 02:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
A1 dribbling, commits a clear carry as she tries to go around B1. (This happened)
As I blow the whistle(so you did this), B1 slaps the ball before it hits the ground following the ball coming to rest in A1's hand.(Then, after the violation which was why you sounded the whistle, this happened).
The ball has come to rest, and A1 has brought her hand around top again and begun pushing it to the floor. I thought my whistle was quick, but wanted to bring the play here for the good of the cause.
I think you may be making more of this than needs to be.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 02:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I think you may be making more of this than needs to be.
Maybe, but Camron's response is interesting, in that I was firmly in the "it's not a dribble until it hits his hand again" camp. Yet this particular play seemed obvious to me.

Besides, it's summer.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 03:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Maybe, but Camron's response is interesting, in that I was firmly in the "it's not a dribble until it hits his hand again" camp. Yet this particular play seemed obvious to me.

Besides, it's summer.
To me it's just a summer lesson in not being too quick with your whistle. If it were a camp and B1 ended up with ball you would be getting a speech from an observor about the benefits of a patient whistle.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 07:52pm.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

I'm confused

I'm picturing A1 "about" to committ a carry as their hand is underneath the ball and they are "about" to continue their dribble, but B1 deflects the ball before the dribble hits the ground.

Is this correct?
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 03:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
I'm picturing A1 "about" to committ a carry as their hand is underneath the ball and they are "about" to continue their dribble, but B1 deflects the ball before the dribble hits the ground.

Is this correct?
No, her hand went under the ball, but had come back around to the top and she'd start the push downward when B1 clipped it.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

To-ma-to / To-mah-to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post

Is this correct?
Quote:
No, her hand went under the ball, but had come back around to the top and she'd start the push downward when B1 clipped it.
If a player is "about" to gain an advantage by carrying the ball, but its stolen prior to the violation, who does our whistle put at a disadvantage?
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 04:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Once Upon A Time ...

Quote:
Where was the myth in my post?
No myth, just highlighting Camron Rust's statement, "Fundamentally, the carry is really either an illegal dribble or a travel."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 04:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
If a player is "about" to gain an advantage by carrying the ball, but its stolen prior to the violation, who does our whistle put at a disadvantage?
Good question, but the ball wasn't stolen. She was continuing her dribble and would have gone around the defender. The ball was deflected only slightly, and the defender was leaning the wrong way.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Lean Back

Quote:
Good question, but the ball wasn't stolen. She was continuing her dribble and would have gone around the defender. The ball was deflected only slightly, and the defender was leaning the wrong way.
Sounds like a nasty position to be in, officiating-wise.
Thank God "I'm not a good womens official" keeps me off of those games for the most part.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Seems to me this is a no-call. It's only a travel if the player takes too many steps while the ball is in the hand. It's only an illegal dribble when it comes back up into their hand - which it did not, directly.

The fact that B did not complete the steal of the ball is immaterial - I'd have no call in either case.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 06:22pm
We don't rent pigs

The touch by the opponent is not relevant to the dribble unless it causes a loss of control. Did it? Even it it did, if the touch occurs after the release, which is the start of the second dribble, it is still a violation.

Lonesome Dove