The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Is this a carry?

Little debate on a call last night on a pickup game.

I was dribbling the ball and saw a guy open and went to pass it one handed. I don't know how but i dribbled the ball a little hard right before I tryed to one hand pass it and completely missed the ball and the ball bounced up to around shoulder level or a little higher.. My hand went under the ball not touching it and then came back down and i regained my dribble off the bounce and no steps were taken. Some kid called me for carrying.

My defense was i didn't even have control of the ball or touch it between the time it bounced off the floor and it hit hit the floor again.

Now I did a little research here and I found a website that has missunderstood rules.

http://www.dallasref.com/Resources/B...ball_rules.pdf

8) Palming or carrying is when a player gains an advantage when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand,
and the player either travels with the ball, or dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a
player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand. Steps taken during a
dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not
possible for a player to travel during a dribble.

So if im reading this right that was not a carry correct?
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford82 View Post
Little debate on a call last night on a pickup game.

I was dribbling the ball and saw a guy open and went to pass it one handed. I don't know how but i dribbled the ball a little hard right before I tryed to one hand pass it and completely missed the ball and the ball bounced up to around shoulder level or a little higher.. My hand went under the ball not touching it and then came back down and i regained my dribble off the bounce and no steps were taken. Some kid called me for carrying.

My defense was i didn't even have control of the ball or touch it between the time it bounced off the floor and it hit hit the floor again.

Now I did a little research here and I found a website that has missunderstood rules.

http://www.dallasref.com/Resources/B...ball_rules.pdf

8) Palming or carrying is when a player gains an advantage when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand,
and the player either travels with the ball, or dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a
player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand. Steps taken during a
dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not
possible for a player to travel during a dribble.

So if im reading this right that was not a carry correct?
If you did exactly what you said you did, you are correct that it is not a carry. But I would have had to be there to see it myself
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Bouncing the ball high is not palming/carrying. As long as you kept your hand on top of the ball....nothing.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

A carry is a carry

If it looked like a carry it was a carry. The KID in his judgement, as he was there and saw it, called it as he saw it, you missed the ball and gained an advantage, as he saw it, whether it is a legal carry or not. Or, as you secured the ball to pass it, you took an extra step, therefore he could have called a travel as well, in his judgement. By definition as you described per the rules, it may not have been a carry. You can not argue his call, it was his judgement as he saw it.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Ugly is not a violation.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
If it looked like a carry it was a carry.
Wow.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Misunderstood Rules

I have printed off the list of misunderstood rules. I have asked my administration for permission to post them in our gym lobby with signs that say: "Learn these rules before you decide to criticize the game officials." and "Go to: (our state association's web site) to apply to become an official if you can doa better job and want the "easy money" that these ladies and gentlemen get."
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If it looked like a carry it was a carry.
I agree.

But, only because it was a pickup game and who knows WTF the rules are.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Little debate on a call last night on a pickup game...
Quote:
...Some kid called me for carrying.

I hope you complained and yelled at this kid to the point where he will never pick up a whistle again and attempt to learn and improve. Because, we certainly wouldn’t want any officials in our world that started out making such a perceived horrible mistake at such a high level and important game.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

It was about the KID

I think we understand the issue here...the KID called him for carrying. It wasn't about the violation, it was about the KID. Maybe a power struggle of some sort. B82, It is OK, you really need to let it go, its OK...no really it is OK, just let it go.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I agree.

But, only because it was a pickup game and who knows WTF the rules are.
I really believe it is about the KID, one of our brother/sister officials. B82 found the rule,explanation before hand and just wants to take it out on the young official.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think we understand the issue here...the KID called him for carrying. It wasn't about the violation, it was about the KID. Maybe a power struggle of some sort. B82, It is OK, you really need to let it go, its OK...no really it is OK, just let it go.
Except for the fact that the OP appears to be correct in that the official kicked the call. Why is everyone piling on the OP - he was correct in his explanation and he didn't violate.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I really believe it is about the KID, one of our brother/sister officials.
So right or wrong, we beat up people asking questions if they question an official's knowledge of the rules?
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
I hope you complained and yelled at this kid to the point

I think "some kid" in the OP means "a player on the other team," and there's no evidence of complaining or yelling.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2009, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Bouncing the ball high is not palming/carrying. As long as you kept your hand on top of the ball....nothing.
I don't care if you put your hand under the ball. As long as it doesn't come to rest there. On top/side/bottom doesn't matter.