The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

NFHS: Setting the Possession Arrow

At the jump ball to start the game, and after the initial tap JUMPER B1 catches the ball before it touches the floor or another player. Whistle...violation on Team B.
The ball is given to team A for the throw in and after player A1 touches the ball in bounds the table sets the posession arrow towards team B's basket.
Was this correct?
I thought that this would have been in the case book but I can't find anything. Can anyone help out on this play? A rule/case book reference would be appreciated.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 05:49am
Courageous When Prudent

No case play but rule 4-3-3a is worded pretty clearly as to when you set the initial arrow following a jump ball violation.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 06:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fire Up The Flux Capacitor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtis449 View Post
At the jump ball to start the game, and after the initial tap JUMPER B1 catches the ball before it touches the floor or another player. Whistle...violation on Team B. The ball is given to team A for the throw in and after player A1 touches the ball in bounds the table sets the possession arrow towards team B's basket.
Sounds good to me.

This interpretation changed several years ago. Back when the possession arrow was first introduced, such a violation would have given the ball, and the arrow, to Team A, but now that's ancient history. I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along shortly to confirm my statement.

Edmund Burke said, “Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it”, but he, obviously, wasn't a basketball official.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 08:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Sounds good to me.

This interpretation changed several years ago. Back when the possession arrow was first introduced, such a violation would have given the ball, and the arrow, to Team A, but now that's ancient history. I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along shortly to confirm my statement.

Edmund Burke said, “Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it”, but he, obviously, wasn't a basketball official.
I think his question is in regards to when the arrow gets set.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I think his question is in regards to when the arrow gets set.
...which means the arrow is set when the ball is at the disposal of Team A for the throw-in, not after a player from Team A touches the ball inbounds.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 10:02am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
...which means the arrow is set when the ball is at the disposal of Team A for the throw-in, not after a player from Team A touches the ball inbounds.
because the throw-in is for the violation...it is NOT an AP throw-in.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
True...this is all for purposes of establishing the arrow.
Old Sat Jun 23, 2012, 12:18am
Administrator

History Lesson Time.

First, the NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's Rules AP Arrow Rule is identical that includes the wording defining how the AP Arrow is to be initially set. The Rule has never changed since its adoption.

Suprisingly, , when the NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's Rules Committees adopted the AP Arrow Rule neither Rules Committee addressed the situation described in the Original Post directly in the Rules, instead, the Committees adopted identical Casebook Play/Approved Ruling with the same Ruling.

I am not going to climb up into the attic but the Ruling for the OP was:

When B1 caught the ball, B1 simultaneously established Player Control/Team Control for Team B and committed a Jump Ball violation. When B1 established Player Control/Team Control the AP was set to Team A's Basket and then Team A received the ball for a Designated Spot Throw-in as a spot nearest to where the violation was committed.

AND THEN, starting with the 1993-94 season the NCAA changed its Ruling in its Approved Ruling. The Ruling said that B1 could not simultaneously establish Player Control/Team Control for Team B and commit a Jump Ball violation, rather B1 can only commit a Jump Ball violation. BUT, the NCAA did something weird (does that suprise anybody, ) with its Ruling, rather than state that the AP Arrow will be set toward Team B when the ball is placed at the disposal of Team A for its Designated Spot Throw-in for B1's Jump Ball vioation, which the Rule states, the AP Arrow will be set toward Team B's Basket after Team A's throw-in ends.

The following year, the NFHS changed its Casebook Play Ruling to match the NCAA's Ruling except that it stated when the AP Arrow would be set toward Team B's Basket when the ball is placed at the disposal of Team A for its Designated Spot Throw-in for B1's Jump Ball vioation as per Rule.

So endedth the tonight's lesson.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. It was 12:18amEDT when I wrote this post and I was recovering from a long weekend, which will be the subject of another thread, none-the-less, I just now having time to respond to subsequent posts by others.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Mon Jun 25, 2012 at 07:11pm. Reason: Added post script.
Old Sat Jun 23, 2012, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
AND THEN, starting with the 1992-93 season the NCAA changed its Ruling in its Approved Ruling. The Ruling said that B1 could not simultaneously establish Player Control/Team Control for Team B and commit a Jump Ball violation, rather B1 can only commit a Jump Ball violation. BUT, the NCAA did something weird (does that suprise anybody, ) with its Ruling, rather than state that the AP Arrow will be set toward Team B when the ball is placed at the disposal of Team A for its Designated Spot Throw-in for B1's Jump Ball vioation, which the Rule states, the AP Arrow will be set toward Team B's Basket after Team A's throw-in ends.

The following year, the NFHS changed its Casebook Play Ruling to match the NCAA's Ruling except that it stated when the AP Arrow would be set toward Team B's Basket when the ball is placed at the disposal of Team A for its Designated Spot Throw-in for B1's Jump Ball vioation as per Rule.
Perhaps you're so old that your decades are running together but you're incorrect on your dates.

Prior to the 2002-2003 season, the NFHS changed rule 4-12-1 which added an exception an exception to the definition of control by a player when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper.

Previous to this rule change, if a jumper caught the jump ball, the opponent got the ball for a throw-in and the arrow was set to their basket.

With the 2002 rule change, a violation no longer resulted in Team B losing the arrow for the next AP situation.

We discussed this situation on this forum, which is further proof that you're incorrect, since this forum did not exist in 1993.

To the OP's question, a case play was added regarding this situation which states the arrow is set after the throw-in ends.

4.12.1 SITUATION: During the jump ball to start the game, jumper A1 catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper. Ruling: A violation by A1. Team B is awarded a throw-in at the nearest spot due to the violation, which constitutes the first possession. As soon as the throw-in by Team B ends, the alternating-possession arrow shall be set towards Team A.

This, of course, is in direct conflict with 4-3-3a, even though that rule has not changed since 2002. The above case play only appeared in the 2002-2003 Case Book.

HERE endeth the lesson.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Jun 23, 2012 at 08:19am.
Old Sat Jun 23, 2012, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Perhaps you're so old that your decades are running together but you're incorrect on your dates.

Prior to the 2002-2003 season, the NFHS changed rule 4-12-1 which added an exception an exception to the definition of control by a player when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper.

Previous to this rule change, if a jumper caught the jump ball, the opponent got the ball for a throw-in and the arrow was set to their basket.

With the 2002 rule change, a violation no longer resulted in Team B losing the arrow for the next AP situation.

We discussed this situation on this forum, which is further proof that you're incorrect, since this forum did not exist in 1993.

To the OP's question, a case play was added regarding this situation which states the arrow is set after the throw-in ends.

4.12.1 SITUATION: During the jump ball to start the game, jumper A1 catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper. Ruling: A violation by A1. Team B is awarded a throw-in at the nearest spot due to the violation, which constitutes the first possession. As soon as the throw-in by Team B ends, the alternating-possession arrow shall be set towards Team A.

This, of course, is in direct conflict with 4-3-3a, even though that rule has not changed since 2002. The above case play only appeared in the 2002-2003 Case Book.

HERE endeth the lesson.
At the risk of making your head grow any bigger than it is...impressive.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 07:37pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post

HERE endeth the lesson.

Tony:

With all due respect, my dates are correct (see my P.S. in my OP). I am certain of my dates because I had this violation occur during a pool play game in the 1994 AAU Girls' 12U National Championship in Kenner, LA.

The 1994 AAU National Girls' Championship Tournaments were played using 1993-94 NCAA Women's Rules. I was the R in the game and A1 tipped the jump ball and then grabbed the ball. I was officiating the game with an official who was not a college official and she wanted to set the AP Arrow toward Team B's Basket and then give the ball to Team B for a designated spot throw-in. I correctly instructed the Scorer that the AP Arrow toward Team A's Basket after Team B's throw in, which the Scorer did.

At half time there were two NCAA Division I women's officials waiting for us in our dressing room and they insisted that we had set the AP Arrow incorrectly. When I showed them the difference between the APR in the 1992-93 NCAA Rules Book and the 1993-94 NCAA Rules Book, they were aghast because they had gone an entire school year and did not know that there had been a change in an APR which had not been identified as a change in the rules.

Now, to address your NFHS rules changes. The changes and the dates of the changes that you have stated are correct, but all these changes did, was codify what the Casebook Play had Ruled since the 1994-95 season. The NFHS Casebook Play that you referenced just shows that the people on the NFHS Rules Committee once again failed to do their due dilligence in researching the history of the rule or they would have know about the original casebook plays.

So endth the history lesson.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Now, to address your NFHS rules changes. The changes and the dates of the changes that you have stated are correct, but all these changes did, was codify what the Casebook Play had Ruled since the 1994-95 season. The NFHS Casebook Play that you referenced just shows that the people on the NFHS Rules Committee once again failed to do their due dilligence in researching the history of the rule or they would have know about the original casebook plays.
With all due respect, I don't care what the NCAA rule was in 1994, nor does it have anything to do with the NFHS. Prior to 2002, if a jumper caught the toss, he violated, the opponent got the ball and the AP arrow was pointed toward their basket.

If you have PROOF that this is incorrect, please post the rule and/or case play, not your opinion.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Mon Jun 25, 2012 at 08:54pm.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
At the risk of making your head grow any bigger than it is...impressive.
Hope not...7 3/4 now. Any bigger and I'll never find a damn fitted hat!

Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 09:15pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Good point... because if A violates on the throw-in, it would become B's throw-in and B would retain the arrow -- a situation that many HS timers would probably be unfamiliar with and might screw up.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Here's the NFHS 2002-03 Rule Revision

JUMPER CATCHING A TOSS NOT CONSIDERED PLAYER CONTROL (4-12-1): An exception was added to the definition of control by a player when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball prior to the ball touching the floor or a non-jumper. By rule, and previously reinforced in a Case Book situation, if a jumper caught the ball on a jump ball, that player had controlled the ball, but had violated by catching the tap. The committee felt the penalty of awarding the ball and the arrow to the opponent was too severe. This change simplifies the rule by only considering the violation by the jumper catching the tap, resulting in the opposing team receiving the throw-in, and the arrow set toward the team that violated.