The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 25, 2000, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Situation: The opening tip goes out of bounds off the visiting team (B). A is throwing the ball in from the side. A is called for a 5 second throw in violation.
When is the possession arrow set? I believe the arrow should have been set when the ball was placed at the disposal of A after the initial tip had been hit OOB. The arrow should be for B. I believe I screwed this up tonight at a varsity game. I set the arrow for A after the ball had been touched on the floor by B after the throw in (by B)following the 5 second violation. Commentary please, would be most welcome and appreciated
Old Sat Nov 25, 2000, 02:36am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by joec
Situation: The opening tip goes out of bounds off the visiting team (B). A is throwing the ball in from the side. A is called for a 5 second throw in violation.
When is the possession arrow set? I believe the arrow should have been set when the ball was placed at the disposal of A after the initial tip had been hit OOB. The arrow should be for B. I believe I screwed this up tonight at a varsity game. I set the arrow for A after the ball had been touched on the floor by B after the throw in (by B)following the 5 second violation. Commentary please, would be most welcome and appreciated
Since team B violated (caused the ball to go OOB) prior to a team gaining team control of the opening jump ball, by NF rule, team A gets a throw-in and the arrow is set to team B as soon as the ball is at the disposal of A for the throw-in.

Also by rule, when team A then violated on the throw-in, they lose the ball and the arrow. This is the only time the arrow is changed when a throw-in is not completed.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2000, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Also by rule, when team A then violated on the throw-in, they lose the ball and the arrow. This is the only time the arrow is changed when a throw-in is not completed. [/B]
I think Mark just misspoke when he said A loses the arrow. During a normal AP sitch, this would be correct.

In this sitch, since A had the ball because of B's initial violation and B had the arrow, A simply loses the ball. B keeps the arrow. Don't change the arrow after B's throw-in. B got the ball because of A's violation.

Bottom line - B's ball and B's arrow.
Old Sat Nov 25, 2000, 01:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Unhappy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Also by rule, when team A then violated on the throw-in, they lose the ball and the arrow. This is the only time the arrow is changed when a throw-in is not completed.
Quote:
I think Mark just misspoke when he said A loses the arrow. During a normal AP sitch, this would be correct.

In this sitch, since A had the ball because of B's initial violation and B had the arrow, A simply loses the ball. B keeps the arrow. Don't change the arrow after B's throw-in. B got the ball because of A's violation.

Bottom line - B's ball and B's arrow. [/B]
OOOPS - is my face red. Of course you are right. Since the throw-in is not an AP throw-in, normal throw-in rules apply.

That's what I get for looking at this stuff after eating turkey.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Refer to 2000-01 NHFS case book 6.3.5A. "Violation by Team A during AP throw-in is the only way a team loses its turn under the procedure".