The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 09:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I prefer a hybrid...there are times I'll ask my partner for help after making an OOB call, if the players and coach are fussing more than usual. But also, I want my partner to feel free to come to me with additional information if he thinks I absolutely blew a call.
I do not rely on players at all. I ask for help if I need it, like when the ball flies by from the Trail's position to the the end line as the Lead. You should ask for help because you do not always see where or how the ball got to your area. But if I see the play and see the last little tips of the ball, I will rule accordingly. Players often yell and scream even when it is obvious you got the call right or that you called what actually took place. Unlike the NBA we do not have an opportunity to look at the replay.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 03:31am
Official Forum Member

I'm not going to confirm his call (are you 100% sure?). If I ask him for the call, or he steps in and takes the call from me, then I'm going with what he has.

But from that point on, he owns that call. So if a coach questions me about it, I'm telling the coach, "You need to talk to him about it; not me." Particularly if he steps in to correct my call and I saw it clearly. I'm not going to argue with him about it; he needs to deal with the consequences.

That's why I rarely step in to correct a partner's call, unless it's very evident to me and virtually everyone in that building. And that's generally an OOB play that had no chance of being touched by anyone but the team he gave the ball to.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 03:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not rely on players at all. I ask for help if I need it, like when the ball flies by from the Trail's position to the the end line as the Lead. You should ask for help because you do not always see where or how the ball got to your area. But if I see the play and see the last little tips of the ball, I will rule accordingly. Players often yell and scream even when it is obvious you got the call right or that you called what actually took place. Unlike the NBA we do not have an opportunity to look at the replay.

Peace
To me, there's a difference between a regular disputing of a call, and the OMG, HOW DID HE GET THAT WRONG type of response. The former, I won't ask for help if I've already made an OOB call...the later, I'm going to be definitely thinking about it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 08:46am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I prefer a hybrid...there are times I'll ask my partner for help after making an OOB call, if the players and coach are fussing more than usual. But also, I want my partner to feel free to come to me with additional information if he thinks I absolutely blew a call.
I like this practice also, but give your partner a chance to establish the call and make a decision then if you still have definitive information, offer it unsolicited.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
I like this practice also, but give your partner a chance to establish the call and make a decision then if you still have definitive information, offer it unsolicited.
And thats all I was really saying.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Too obvious to discuss? is there such a thing?

Im calling a 3 man spring league game. one of my partners is...getting up in age. hes easily 65 and it shows. hes almost never in position he is slow to signal and the fans and coaches are starting to get aggravated. we were shooting free throws. and Im the C. the second shot goes up and misses. me the T and everyone else in the gym sees it go out out on red. the L(everyones favorite official)calls it red ball. Im not defending anything I did or saying its something I normaly do, but everyone in the Gym knew it was white ball including my other partner. TOOT a little NBA hand slap and point in whites direction. did I botch this, should I have walked over and discussed it with him, is there a hybrid. anything to help me get beetter would by appreciated. no matter how you feel about it iff you have something in the officials manual that would be appreciated too.

PS alot of you guys call the pro league the NBE? what exactly does that stand for lol.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

In your case, I would have gone to the L and told him straight up, it went off of red and should be white's ball. Give him specifics if you think it'll help (Hey bob, red 34 hit the ball with his right hand and was the last to touch it).

NBE=National Basketball Entertainment...it's some people's way of saying that pro basketball isn't basketball but rather entertainment (as in officials never call travels on stars, stars get all the calls, and a multitude of other silly stuff). Stupid I think, but to each their own.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Thu Jun 07, 2012 at 11:07pm.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt1111 View Post
Im calling a 3 man spring league game. one of my partners is...getting up in age. hes easily 65 and it shows. hes almost never in position he is slow to signal and the fans and coaches are starting to get aggravated. we were shooting free throws. and Im the C. the second shot goes up and misses. me the T and everyone else in the gym sees it go out out on red. the L(everyones favorite official)calls it red ball. Im not defending anything I did or saying its something I normaly do, but everyone in the Gym knew it was white ball including my other partner. TOOT a little NBA hand slap and point in whites direction. did I botch this, should I have walked over and discussed it with him, is there a hybrid. anything to help me get beetter would by appreciated. no matter how you feel about it iff you have something in the officials manual that would be appreciated too.
Let me ask you a question, do you like your partners overruling your calls on the court? Ok, since you don't like it, why did you on this play? While working with someone that is almost never in position and has bad mechanics is a challenge, it doesn't give you the right to go tooting and changing calls. Around here, if you are not asked for help, but you have info, quickly walk to the calling official, let him/her know what you have and let them toot and change the call. If you are asked for help, then by all means toot and make the call.

However, if you really want to do it right, check with the local people that are working the level that you aspire or better yet, the person assigning those games (if applicable). They'll teach you the correct way to handle this situation and then include it in every one of your pre-game discussions.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 12:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

PS alot of you guys call the pro league the NBE? what exactly does that stand for lol.
The rules state no official can "overrule" another. That's what you did. Go talk to him, tell him what you saw, and let him live or die with the result.
He may be older and slower, but I'll bet he's forgotten more about officiating than you can imagine.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 06:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

Educated Guess ???

Quote:
One of my partners is getting up in age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
He may be older and slower.
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

I offered a partner unsolicited help exactly once this last season. It was a 3-man game, I was the Center and a shot had gone up, missed, and got deflected OOB on the endline but on my side of the court. The Lead pointed one direction but I could tell he wasn't extremely confident, and I knew he got it wrong and so did everyone else in the gym. I went to him, asked how sure he was. He said "Not all that sure", and I told him I was positive that the other team touched it last. He changed it and we went on.

I'm with everyone else though. Pregame this and make sure you're on the same page.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The other problem with how you handled is that the coaches will expect you to automatically overrule that official's calls if they're 50-50. Not a good situation for any of you.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 04:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Twin, Separated At Birth ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I offered a partner unsolicited help exactly once this last season. It was a 3-man game, I was the Center and a shot had gone up, missed, and got deflected OOB on the endline but on my side of the court. The Lead pointed one direction but I could tell he wasn't extremely confident, and I knew he got it wrong and so did everyone else in the gym. I went to him, asked how sure he was. He said "Not all that sure", and I told him I was positive that the other team touched it last. He changed it and we went on.
Which is exactly the way we handle this here in my little corner of the Constitution State. Except the part about the three person game. Regarding three man games, we're Neanderthals here in Connecticut.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 10, 2012 at 10:08am.