The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Bad Backcourt Call by Partner. What to do?

Partner as T rules backcourt on an inbounds pass. A1 passes to A2 who jumped from the frontcourt caught the ball midair and landed in the backcourt.

I'm the L. Partner makes call. What to do?

Partner has 30+ years in and clearly has his mind on 7pm game.

Do you step in and ask him about his call or leave it be?

I had to answer to the coach who just had that call against him.

"Coach I didn't have a great look at that play from where I was."

Coach, "I knew you were going to say that!"
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

In general, if it's a rules issue I try to fix it. If it's a judgment issue, I don't.

On this play, it's tough to go out there. Coach should try to ask partner to get help.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

If he made that call, you stop the game, go over to him and tell him (loudly) that he's wrong. If he gives you any crap, tell him you have a rulebook in your bag and you'll bring it over and look it up in front of everyone. Tell him that if he's right, you'll give him $100 but if he's wrong, he has to go out into the parking lot and wash your car. Ask him if he wants to make that bet.

Was that helpful?
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Well isn't the player considered being in the front court since its the last spot he left from?
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Well isn't the player considered being in the front court since its the last spot he left from?
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:30pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngref33 View Post
Indeed however since this is during a throw-in, 9-9-3 applies.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Indeed however since this is during a throw-in, 9-9-3 applies.
Got it
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 02:35pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngref33 View Post
See NFHS Rule 9-1-3.

Just my opinion, refnuts, I'd talk politely with my partner right there. If the shoe were on the other foot, and my partner saw something differently, I'd want him to talk to me. I tell every partner in pre-game that he has an open invitation to discuss any call with me right away. We should care more about getting it right than getting a little egg on our faces.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 03:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I had this happen earlier this season, except it was a tipped ball on a throw-in with no frontcourt control that ended up in the backcourt.

I hit my whistle to get my partner's attention, went to my partner, talked to him, the light went on, and he declared an IW and we played on. He thanked me at halftime.

Of course, my partner that night is one of my best friends and I am completely comfortable doing that (and with him doing that) at any time. It's a different dynamic for the OP. Maybe it shouldn't be, but is.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

To be the jerk in the room....(J/k but just saying )
It seems to me you were ball watching. If you are in the L you would be the furthest from the play. I'd let it go until I had a chance to ask them about it later. And it can be done very easily at half/end of quarter or end of game. As you review your game just ask them what they had on the back court violation. Tell him, and he probably already knows, that the coach had a question about it and you didnt "have a good look".
NOW, if YOU were the T and THEY were the L and they blew a back court violation, I would be more prone to stop play and have a conversation with them. In fact have done so on a couple of occasions with "newbies". It does make a great teaching point on several levels. 1) As I stated earlier, I ask them why they were looking at the instead of the other 6-8 players on the floor. 2) Review what constitutes a back court violation and 3) although rare, admit that I probably made an error
Hope that didnt sound too jerky!!
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
To be the jerk in the room....(J/k but just saying )
It seems to me you were ball watching. If you are in the L you would be the furthest from the play. I'd let it go until I had a chance to ask them about it later. And it can be done very easily at half/end of quarter or end of game. As you review your game just ask them what they had on the back court violation. Tell him, and he probably already knows, that the coach had a question about it and you didnt "have a good look".
NOW, if YOU were the T and THEY were the L and they blew a back court violation, I would be more prone to stop play and have a conversation with them. In fact have done so on a couple of occasions with "newbies". It does make a great teaching point on several levels. 1) As I stated earlier, I ask them why they were looking at the instead of the other 6-8 players on the floor. 2) Review what constitutes a back court violation and 3) although rare, admit that I probably made an error
Hope that didnt sound too jerky!!
You're ASSuming the thowin was not on the lead's line. If it was, the lead SHOULD be watching the ball until it is touched.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I had this happen earlier this season, except it was a tipped ball on a throw-in with no frontcourt control that ended up in the backcourt.

I hit my whistle to get my partner's attention, went to my partner, talked to him, the light went on, and he declared an IW and we played on. He thanked me at halftime.

Of course, my partner that night is one of my best friends and I am completely comfortable doing that (and with him doing that) at any time. It's a different dynamic for the OP. Maybe it shouldn't be, but is.
You had the above play happen, except that it was a tipped ball? If so, that's a violation as I understand it. The tip ends the throw-in. So A1 inbounds, B1 tips, A2 jumps from frontcourt, catches the ball in the air, and lands in the backcourt? Violation.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 05:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You're ASSuming the thowin was not on the lead's line. If it was, the lead SHOULD be watching the ball until it is touched.
This was the exact play for which I went to my partner. I was lead, administering the throw-in. Ball went into the BC where the throwing team gained control. Partner called BC. My only regret is that I didn't have her announce the IW.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 05:23pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
You had the above play happen, except that it was a tipped ball? If so, that's a violation as I understand it. The tip ends the throw-in. So A1 inbounds, B1 tips, A2 jumps from frontcourt, catches the ball in the air, and lands in the backcourt? Violation.
Not to speak for Rich but the way I read his post, there was a throw in, a tip by a player in his/her team's front court and then a subsequent touch by the same team in the back court.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2010, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe, but he said "I had this happen" so I thought I'd jump in