The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 07:25pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
MTD, Sr. is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT....we do NOT call enough charges. The lower the level, the worse the problem.

TwoCents:

The check is in the mail.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
MTD, Sr. is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT....we do NOT call enough charges. The lower the level, the worse the problem.
Disagree. What I generally see from rookies is too many charges - caused by not watching the defense.
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 02:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
Disagree. What I generally see from rookies is too many charges - caused by not watching the defense.
Interesting, because I hardly ever see a newer official call a PC foul at all. I think officials in general call too many things on the defense when they do not do anything wrong.

Peace
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 07:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Interesting, because I hardly ever see a newer official call a PC foul at all. I think officials in general call too many things on the defense when they do not do anything wrong.

Peace
I think the bigger problem is that they call it one way or the other but what they use as reasoning is not per the rules. I know I still miss block/charge calls but at least I know why I went with the call initially.
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 08:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Peace
Agreed, combined with taking away too many shots on defensive fouls and calling a foul every time a defender so much as touches a shooter, it's in the top three of rookie mistakes I see.
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 01:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I think the bigger problem is that they call it one way or the other but what they use as reasoning is not per the rules. I know I still miss block/charge calls but at least I know why I went with the call initially.
That is a bigger issue than there are too many called. Now if you say that there are incorrect calls OK. But the number should not matter because it is possible that the number could be the teams and players understanding the rule and doing what it takes to get a call. What if for some reason that is the case and the numbers do not change? Is the rules committee going to complain or change the rule then?

Peace
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is a bigger issue than there are too many called. Now if you say that there are incorrect calls OK. But the number should not matter because it is possible that the number could be the teams and players understanding the rule and doing what it takes to get a call. What if for some reason that is the case and the numbers do not change? Is the rules committee going to complain or change the rule then?

Peace
More times than not when I've heard complaints of about charges being called, the call was actually correct.

I think the biggest gripe, even if it is not the stated gripe, with the whole issue is that defenders are increasingly successful at playing for the charge rather than playing to stop the ball and possibly getting a charge. Such an approach....playing for the foul rather than playing the ball....is distasteful to some.

For a long time, many officials, who often incorrectly defaulted to a block unless the offensive player brought a battering ram to the party, were somewhat complicit in satisfying fans' desire to not see "cheap" fouls. Now that officials have started calling the charges that are, by rule, there, people are not happy.
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
TwoCents:

The check is in the mail.

MTD, Sr.
please make sure my check has a "comma" in the dollar amount...:-)
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
when an official does not watch the defense, he is surprised/caught off-guard when the contact happens. as a result, the vast majority of times a block is called becuase that is what officials "default" to when making calls.

maybe the metric systems' conversion formula in Canada causes more charges to be called up there.....but below the 48th parallel in North America, officials call WAAAAAAAAYYYYY too many blocking fouls.

(btw, officials also wave off too many good baskets when a shooter is fouled because they don't understand when the act of shooting begins. that's for another thread, however.)
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 02:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
More times than not when I've heard complaints of about charges being called, the call was actually correct.

I think the biggest gripe, even if it is not the stated gripe, with the whole issue is that defenders are increasingly successful at playing for the charge rather than playing to stop the ball and possibly getting a charge. Such an approach....playing for the foul rather than playing the ball....is distasteful to some.

For a long time, many officials, who often incorrectly defaulted to a block unless the offensive player brought a battering ram to the party, were somewhat complicit in satisfying fans' desire to not see "cheap" fouls. Now that officials have started calling the charges that are, by rule, there, people are not happy.
This is why I would like to hear from John Adams directly and not what the committee says alone. If Adams feels there are too many charges called, he will reflect that in is information given to the officials on the Arbiter site and at NCAA Meetings. Remember the committee is made up of coaches which is not often the most educated on what officials do or why they do things. Adams might agree that there are charges that were called incorrectly, but I doubt he will totally change the premise of why we call a block/charge in video examples.

Peace