The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

NF 4-44-5 Traveling

During a scramble for a loose ball, A1 gets possession of the ball, while on both knees. With no defensive pressure, A1 moves one leg from from having the knee on the floor to a foot. There is no apparent "...attempt to get up or stand." -- NF 4-44-5 b. A1 then passes the ball to a A2 and play continues.
Coach B protests that the knee to foot movement is traveling.
Is there any written statement that changing the position of one leg from knee contact with the floor to foot contact, constitutes an "attempt to get up or stand" and thus a traveling violation?
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Judgment call
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Traveling. Going from a knee to a foot IS part of an attempt to get up. You could break the "get up" in to many small pieces and they'd still be part of getting up.

The only movement allowed in an "updward" manner is sitting up if they are on their back.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed May 02, 2012 at 04:18pm.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Traveling. Going for a knee to a foot IS part of an attempt to get up. You could break the "get up" in to many small pieces and they'd still be part of getting up.

The only movement allowed in an "updward" manner is sitting up if they are on their back.
I agree with most things you say Camron, but I'm not sure I agree with this one. I think an "attempt to get up" is open to interpretation. Is just the lifting if one knee enough to be traveling? Is it the foot being placed down that's traveling? Which part changes things to "attempting to get up"? This rule is so ambiguous (similar to "rolling over"), that it will continue to be ruled differently by many people because the parameters are so vaguely written.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 12:54pm
Esteemed Participant

Gotta agree with Mr. Rust. Why else would the player go from the knee to the foot unless they are making an effort to stand up? Sounds like a travel to me.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I disagree, I'm just not sure I agree either. I think it might be similar to using a pivot foot. Not trying to get up, but getting the balance needed to make the pass. I don't know - I just think the wording in the rules makes it too vague to say with absolute certainty.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Gotta agree with Mr. Rust. Why else would the player go from the knee to the foot unless they are making an effort to stand up? Sounds like a travel to me.
Perhaps the player has a scar on their knee or an injury to their knee.

I generally allow them to get up before blowing instead of making interpretations about what the player was trying to accomplish.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 01:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
... This rule is so ambiguous (similar to "rolling over"), that it will continue to be ruled differently by many people because the parameters are so vaguely written.
I think you are just not being honest with yourself. Everybody knows what "getting up" means.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I think you are just not being honest with yourself. Everybody knows what "getting up" means.
Well I do know that the older I get, the tougher it is...
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 01:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If I was not in a public place, I would have yelled out with laughter.

Peace
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 02:06pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
+1

Any call we can make via a discernable act, rather than via judgment, makes thing more objective than subjective, and is better for everyone involved.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Any call we can make via a discernable act, rather than via judgment, makes thing more objective than subjective, and is better for everyone involved.
Whatever all that means. But making a call needs to be backed up by a particular rule infraction, and without clearly written rules, you will continue to have official's interpretations vary.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 02:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Favorite Color Is Gray ???

Quote:
I'm not sure I disagree, I'm just not sure I agree either.
Have you always been this way? Doesn't your butt get sore with all this fence sitting?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Whatever all that means. But making a call needs to be backed up by a particular rule infraction, and without clearly written rules, you will continue to have official's interpretations vary.
+1

Thats the reason why I would wait & see if a knee to foot is an truly an attempt to get up or just an attempt to get off that sore knee. I believe there is a difference. Afterall, whenever I attempt to get up, I always wind up in a standing position on my feet.

IMO, being patient on violations & giving ourselves a chance to replay it in our minds before blowing is the best practice.

In the OP he passed the ball immediately after going knee to foot. Too bad we cant see the play.
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 03:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
+1

Thats the reason why I would wait & see if a knee to foot is an truly an attempt to get up or just an attempt to get off that sore knee. I believe there is a difference. Afterall, whenever I attempt to get up, I always wind up in a standing position on my feet.

IMO, being patient on violations & giving ourselves a chance to replay it in our minds before blowing is the best practice.

In the OP he passed the ball immediately after going knee to foot. Too bad we cant see the play.
I just know as I move up the ladder calling those 50/50, maybe it is, maybe it isn't, violations does not serve me well. If you have to get into a debate about the intricacies of such a call then let it go. If he is obviously getting up, then go get it.