The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Traveling?

A1 dribbles down the court and picks up the ball at the left elbow of the lane. B1 is guarding A1 whose pivot is his right foot. A1 takes a step and a half with his left foot and shoots it. I call traveling. Player and coach go crazy and say that isn't the rule. First off in my mind he just switched his pivot. Also, in part b of the rule below it says that if the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor.

Rule 4 - Section VIII and Rule 10 - Section XIV

3. After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;
b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or attempt for goal;
c. The pivot foot may not be lifted, before the ball is released, to start a dribble.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

How did he switch his pivot foot?
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsy24 View Post
A1 dribbles down the court and picks up the ball at the left elbow of the lane. B1 is guarding A1 whose pivot is his right foot. A1 takes a step and a half with his left foot and shoots it. I call traveling. Player and coach go crazy and say that isn't the rule. First off in my mind he just switched his pivot. Also, in part b of the rule below it says that if the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor.

Rule 4 - Section VIII and Rule 10 - Section XIV

3. After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;
b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or attempt for goal;
c. The pivot foot may not be lifted, before the ball is released, to start a dribble.
Coach was right....if i understand you correctly....

A1 pivoting with his right foot on the floor. A1 pivots steping on his left foot towards the basket, lifts his right foot (and probably sweeps it through towards the basket), jumps off his left foot, and shoots.

Legal.

The pivot foot is not "switched" (i.e., it is not a travel) until the original pivot foot is both lifted and returned to the floor.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

You can take as many steps as you want with your non-pivot foot, provided your pivot foot doesn't lift in the process.

You kicked this one, but I'm sure you'll remember this play for the future.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

I think I'm confused by what you mean when you say he takes a "step and a half".

You said the pivot foot was his right. He ended up taking a shot, so the only question you need to ask is whether he lifted his right foot and returned it to the ground. Merely lifting it doesn't constitute a travel violation. But returning it does.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me like the pivot foot was lifted but not returned to the floor before the try. No violation. I am unclear on what a step and half is, using only the left foot.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 12:28pm
Lighten up, Francis.

First, welcome to the forum. You'll pick up a lot of good info here.

Second, I can't really picture what happened from your description, so I can't give a good answer about whether he traveled.

Third, it would be a good start for you to get away from thinking about "a step and a half" or "two steps" when you call traveling. Simply find the pivot, which you did, and then remember what he can do with that pivot. He can lift the pivot to pass or attempt a try, as long as the ball is released before it returns to the ground. If he's moving (jumping or running), he can also jump off that pivot foot and then land on both feet together, but then he has no pivot. (Technically, he never had a pivot foot, but you know what I mean.) He can still jump to shoot or pass in that situation.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

First off, I'm sorry for not being clear in the first post.

A1 established his pivot as the right foot. Then A1 stepped with his left foot, lifting his pivot, and then jumped off the left then shot it in the air. His pivot foot left the floor not to shoot, but to take a step. Part B of the rule says, "b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or attempt for goal;" I interpret this that A1 is jumping off his pivot foot, not any foot. His right foot is the pivot foot, therefore A1 must jump off either the pivot foot or both feet at the same time to shoot or pass the ball before either foot touches the floor in those situations.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First off, I'm sorry for not being clear in the first post.

A1 established his pivot as the right foot. Then A1 stepped with his left foot, lifting his pivot, and then jumped off the left then shot it in the air. His pivot foot left the floor not to shoot, but to take a step. Part B of the rule says, "b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or attempt for goal;" I interpret this that A1 is jumping off his pivot foot, not any foot. His right foot is the pivot foot, therefore A1 must jump off either the pivot foot or both feet at the same time to shoot or pass the ball before either foot touches the floor in those situations.
Thanks for the clarification.

This is not a travel. A player can lift his pivot foot and just stand on the other foot. He can jump off that foot. But he can't put his pivot foot back down, and once he jumps, neither foot may touch the ground.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Can someone give an aexample of this situation:

If he's moving (jumping or running), he can also jump off that pivot foot and then land on both feet together, but then he has no pivot. (Technically, he never had a pivot foot, but you know what I mean.)
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the quick responses.

When I used to play during High School and College that was called a travel. It was also called during the NCAA tournament last year by (I think) someone on Temple.
Is that how the rule was always interpreted or did it change over the years at some point?
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
Can someone give an aexample of this situation:

If he's moving (jumping or running), he can also jump off that pivot foot and then land on both feet together, but then he has no pivot. (Technically, he never had a pivot foot, but you know what I mean.)
All of what you said is correct. If dribbling, a player can pick up the ball, jump off his left foot, and then land simultaneously on both feet.

It's a jump stop.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses.

When I used to play during High School and College that was called a travel. It was also called during the NCAA tournament last year by (I think) someone on Temple.
Is that how the rule was always interpreted or did it change over the years at some point?
It hasn't always been called that way, but many officials have mistakenly called it because it can sometimes "look funny."

And I doubt it was called in the NCAA tournament last season - at least not purposefully. If an NCAA official called it, he likely saw something else...
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

From the play you just said - after jump stopping ... no pivot is allowed, correct?
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
From the play you just said - after jump stopping ... no pivot is allowed, correct?
Correct. At that point the player can pass or shoot. The player is allowed to jump.

If the player caught the ball on a pass and executed the same jump stop, he'd also be able to dribble.