The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 01:13pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And, if B violates before the TI ends (per Hyland), wouldn't the arrow stay put if it was an AP throw in?
Yeah!

What he said.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 01:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
If I may be so bold, here's the conclusion for NCAA-M games. This email came directly from Art Hyland and the ruling will be included in next year's case book.
The problem with Mr. Hyland's interp is that it flies in the face of of 7-2-2 (When the ball is out of bounds because of touching or being touched by a player who is on or outside a boundary, such player shall have caused the ball to go out of bounds.) and 9-3-1 (A player shall not cause the ball to go out of bounds.). 9-15-1 tells us that the ensuing throw-in shall be at the spot nearest the violation for infractions 9-3 through 9-14: The ball shall become dead or remain dead when a violation occurs. The ball shall be awarded to a nearby opponent for a throw-in at a designated spot nearest to where the violation occurred. (Applies only to Rule 9, Sections 3 through 14)
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 01:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
For NFHS, I would have said that I also had a definitive ruling, but in looking at the PENALTY section of 9-2, I'm not so sure.

NFHS 9-2-2 says that "The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court from out-of-bounds so it touches or is touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched."

[Complete off-topic question: why are there hyphens in "from out-of-bounds" but no hyphens in "inbounds or out of bounds"? I would never have noticed it except that I just typed it out ]

Ok, so prior to today, I would have stated with 100% confidence that a throw-in pass that was caught by a player who was standing out of bounds (out-of-bounds?) would be put back in play at the spot where it was caught. After all, the inbounder did his job. He threw the ball so that it touched a player out of bounds before it went out-of-bounds untouched. The violation must have been committed by the player who caught the ball, and so that's where the ball would be put back in play.

Today, however, after reading the PENALTY section that follows 9-2, I'm not so sure. It reads as follows:

Notice that the penalty applies to the entirety of Section 2. So this now seems to say to me that the ball goes to the original throw-in spot, regardless of who causes the violation.

Thoughts?
You could just as easily apply 9-3-2 (No player shall be out of bounds when he/she touches or is touched by the ball after it has been released on a throw-in pass.) and the Penalty for all of Section 3: PENALTY: (Section 3) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation. (See 6-7-9 Exception d)
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Violation on the player who touched the ball while being OOB. The correct throwin spot is the spot of the OOB violation. (NCAA-M interpretation says otherwise, but it doesn't correlate with what the rule actually says).
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 01:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Again, a situation I think deserves specific case plays. A2 catches OOB then we have a throw-in violation on Team A and ball goes back to original spot. B2 catches the ball OOB and we have a floor violation and the ball goes nearest the spot of the violation. Does B2's violation cause the throw-in to end?
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 04:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Down This Road Before ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Yes, I tried the search function amd I'm still confused.
Throw-in never touched legally inbounds

NCAA OOB Case Play?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Again, a situation I think deserves specific case plays. A2 catches OOB then we have a throw-in violation on Team A and ball goes back to original spot. B2 catches the ball OOB and we have a floor violation and the ball goes nearest the spot of the violation. Does B2's violation cause the throw-in to end?
Incorrect. Both are OOB violations, neither are throw-in violations.

The thrower only needs to throw the ball such that it touches a player who is inbounds OR out of bounds to legally complete the throwin.

When A2 or B2 touches the ball, it is an OOB violation because A2/B2 caused the ball to be OOB.

If the ball goes OOB before/without being touched by a player, it is a throwin violation.

Of course, in spite of what the rule says, Art Hyland has pulled one out of thin air to say that it goes back to the original spot when a player touches the throwin while OOB. There really is no reason nor rules justification for that.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 05:11pm.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 04:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

The thrower only needs to throw the ball such that it touches a player who is inbounds OR out of bounds to legally complete the throwin.

When A2 or B2 touches the ball, it is an OOB violation because A2/B2 caused the ball to be OOB.

If the ball goes OOB before/without being touched by a player, it is a throwin violation.

Of course, in spite of what the rule says, Art Hyland has pulled one out of thin are to say that it goes back to the original spot when a player touches the throwin while OOB. There really is no reason nor rules justification for that.
Right, I think the key to this play is to consider who is guilty of the violation. The ball is always put in play at the spot of the violation (with exceptions), so if the violation is on A2, that's the spot. If it's on A1, that's the spot.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 05:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I didn't make myself clear. I want the a throw-in caught OOB by A2 to be considered a throw-in violation with the ball returned to original spot, while a throw-in caught OOB by B2 to be a OOB violation with ensuing throw-in at spot of violation.

Still, a throw-in caught OOB by B2, would the throw-in be considered ended for the purposes of the AP arrow?
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 05:42pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Except that pesky 9-2 PENALTY keeps making me wonder. . .
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 05:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Then go with 9-3-2 and its penalty.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't make myself clear. I want the a throw-in caught OOB by A2 to be considered a throw-in violation with the ball returned to original spot, while a throw-in caught OOB by B2 to be a OOB violation with ensuing throw-in at spot of violation.
Why would you want that?

Keep it simple.

A player who touches the ball while OOB has committed an OOB violation and the throwin spot is the spot where they touched the ball.

Why complicated it with which player touches it or whether it is from a throwin or not? Your idea doesn't really solve or improve anything?

You'd also have to decide if A2 stepped OOB before or after touching the ball....and the splitting of that hair could make a big difference regarding the throwin spot. If you keep it at the spot of the touch, it is simple.

If A2 and B2 are both going for the ball and one is OOB, you have to split another hair...who touched it first and the result could drastically different. As it is, you only care that the player OOB touched the ball...the order doesn't matter.

Quote:
Still, a throw-in caught OOB by B2, would the throw-in be considered ended for the purposes of the AP arrow?
And, yes, the throw in legally ended (unless the contact itself was illegal as in a kicked ball)....AP would switch.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Today, however, after reading the PENALTY section that follows 9-2, I'm not so sure. It reads as follows:
Quote:
PENALTY: (Section 2) The ball becomes dead when the violation or technical foul occurs. Following a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the original throw-in spot.
Notice that the penalty applies to the entirety of Section 2. So this now seems to say to me that the ball goes to the original throw-in spot, regardless of who causes the violation.
Quote:
You're right that penalty 9-2 specifies the original spot. But what infraction has been committed in that section where that penalty would be relevant? None of the infractions in section 2 have anything to do with another player catching the throwin pass while being OOB.
SECTION 2 THROW-IN PROVISIONS
ART. 1 . . . The thrower shall not leave the designated throw-in spot until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.
ART. 2 . . . The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court from out-of-bounds so it touches or is touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched.
ART. 3 . . . The thrown ball shall not be touched by a teammate of the thrower while the ball is on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane, except as in 7-5-7.
ART. 4 . . . Once the throw-in starts, the ball shall be released on a pass directly into the court before five seconds have elapsed.
ART. 5 . . . The thrower shall not carry the ball onto the court.
ART. 6 . . . The thrown ball shall not touch the thrower in the court before it touches or is touched by another player.
ART. 7 . . . The thrown ball shall not enter the basket before it touches or is touched by another player.
ART. 8 . . . The thrown ball shall not become lodged between the backboard and ring or come to rest on the flange before it touches or is touched by another player.
ART. 9 . . . The thrower shall not be replaced by a teammate after the ball is at the thrower's disposal, except as in 7-5-7.
ART. 10. . . The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 06:40pm.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 06:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Will It Go Round In Circles (Billy Preston) ...

What makes this confusing is that we're comparing old NFHS interpretations, with new NFHS interpretations, with new NCAAM interpretations, with new NCAAW interpretations. I'm getting a headache. I need a couple of aspirin.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 07:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Why would you want that?

Keep it simple.

A player who touches the ball while OOB has committed an OOB violation and the throwin spot is the spot where they touched the ball.

Why complicated it with which player touches it or whether it is from a throwin or not? Your idea doesn't really solve or improve anything?

You'd also have to decide if A2 stepped OOB before or after touching the ball....and the splitting of that hair could make a big difference regarding the throwin spot. If you keep it at the spot of the touch, it is simple.

If A2 and B2 are both going for the ball and one is OOB, you have to split another hair...who touched it first and the result could drastically different. As it is, you only care that the player OOB touched the ball...the order doesn't matter.
Not all that complicated, we should be capable of making those distinctions. And we have to make certain disctinctions anyway to determine whether or not time should come off the clock. Team A is responsible for a legal throw-in. A2 catching the ball while already OOB violates that, IMO.