The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 02:13pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I thought he said he minimal contact "flops" as a block.

I was told if you want the flops to stop, call it a block & if you get pushback from the coach... "Would you prefer the T, by rule?"
And the only way to judge that would be to have contact and have to judge that it was minimal. So why call a block? Why have to explain that call to a coach? Why not just call nothing as there really wasn't any contact?

To say "I'm going to call it a block" when it really isn't a block just open us up to a whole lot of trouble.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 02:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If I'm sure enough that he's "faking being fouled," I've got no problem warning him and then ringing him up if he does it again. I did it (warned) twice last season, and there were no repeat offenders.

Most cases involve a player bailing too early, but that's not illegal. Ever. The rules specifically allow the defender to move to absorb contact. Doing it early only reduces the chance of an actual foul, but it's not illegal, so I don't understand why people want to penalize this player with a block.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

When defenders bail early, in most cases the airborne shooter cannot land unhindered. Not always but when its obvious I call it & protect the airborne shooter.

On the minimal contact & lay down play, the shooter would have to be disadvantaged for a block call. But as others have suggested I like to be preventative and talk to them early when I can.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 03:19pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
When defenders bail early, in most cases the airborne shooter cannot land unhindered. Not always but when its obvious I call it & protect the airborne shooter.

On the minimal contact & lay down play, the shooter would have to be disadvantaged for a block call. But as others have suggested I like to be preventative and talk to them early when I can.
Agree with the talking to them...that is an excellent way to deal with it. Saying "I'm going to call all of those flops a block" is not an excellent way to deal with it.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, saying what we would do on all situations or making something automatic paints us into a very small box.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 04:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"He's A Beanie Baby" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
The Heat/Knicks "fight" years ago when he was holding on to Alonzo Mourning's leg and getting drug around like a little grandchild.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 17, 2012 at 04:27pm.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

The problem with the way I see it for flops and charges alike is: if you don't fall to the ground or demonstrate that you were shoved or hit hard by acting out, you probably won't get the call.
If you take on an opposing player like a linebacker takes on an oncoming blocker by holding your ground you probably will get the foul called on yourself. Or if you take the charge by backing up a step or two instead of falling to the ground , there is a better chance of a no call.
So I don't see how you can change the flops or acting of players, just like in this instance. There is no way the player from NY could knock over the Miami player so easily with one arm. But if he would have stood his ground, there would not have been a call.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

flopping

Please excuse my lack of specifics and the generalization.

The play I have in mind is when the defensive player gets in position - usually in the key -- but the offensive player avoids contact on the way to the basket, or the contact is so minimal -- the brush type of contact -- that is does not impact the play. Yet, the defensive player goes flying, arms waving, using with sound effects.

(Or at the younger level, what is usually seen is the player falling straight down, having yet to perfect the backward launch.)

In the past, I have always no-called this. My thinking has been that by falling to the floor, he has self-penalized his team.

However, this is the type of flop that needs to be halted, because first, it flows against the character of the game, and second, it makes for a dangerous situation. There is now a player on the floor, and if the shot is missed, there are usually three to four players going after the rebound. The guy on the floor gets stepped on, ankles roll, other people fall ... it is just a bad situation.

A good warning early in the game is important, of course. But calling it tight from the get-go will send a message to both teams early.

FYI -- To the administrators, I really enjoy this forum. It is forcing me to think about the craft. I appreciate the work you and everyone puts in on this. Thanks.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really? How can leaving early make the airborne shooter's landing any more hindered than staying put. By fading away from the shooter, they give the shooter MORE room to land. Had the stayed, the contact would have only been greater.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 10:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWP View Post
Please excuse my lack of specifics and the generalization.

The play I have in mind is when the defensive player gets in position - usually in the key -- but the offensive player avoids contact on the way to the basket, or the contact is so minimal -- the brush type of contact -- that is does not impact the play. Yet, the defensive player goes flying, arms waving, using with sound effects.

(Or at the younger level, what is usually seen is the player falling straight down, having yet to perfect the backward launch.)

In the past, I have always no-called this. My thinking has been that by falling to the floor, he has self-penalized his team.

However, this is the type of flop that needs to be halted, because first, it flows against the character of the game, and second, it makes for a dangerous situation. There is now a player on the floor, and if the shot is missed, there are usually three to four players going after the rebound. The guy on the floor gets stepped on, ankles roll, other people fall ... it is just a bad situation.

A good warning early in the game is important, of course. But calling it tight from the get-go will send a message to both teams early.

FYI -- To the administrators, I really enjoy this forum. It is forcing me to think about the craft. I appreciate the work you and everyone puts in on this. Thanks.
If the contact itself isn't illegal (backing, bailing, or falling backwards prior to contact are all legal), then a block is, by rule, the wrong call. If that doesn't matter, and if your leadership wants you to call it that way, so be it.

But let's not pretend there's any rules backing whatsoever.

What you do have backing for is a warning and a technical foul if it continues. I've found a no-call, by itself, normally takes care of it. A no-call and a warning, however, always does it.

The warning doesn't have to include the direct threat of a T, either. Just letting the player know, verbally, that you saw him flop takes care of it. Twice this season I told the player that he would have probably gotten a foul call had he stayed in position longer, and neither of them did it again.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 11:28pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWP View Post
Van Gundy, I believe, is right regarding flopping, but wrong on this particular example.

I would love to see penalizing the flop be a point of emphasis next year.
Van Gundy is one of my least favorite commentators, for a number of reasons, but I have to say I completely agree with him here.

The reason why flopping has grown is simple. It continues to go unpunished. I find the blocking call on a flop to be a cop-out, and it does not directly with the issue -- that flopping is unsportsmanlike. It was indeed a POE about seven years ago in NFHS, thought I can't speak to whether it has actually helped curb it.

That said, I'm not above talking with a flopper first and whacking later, if needed. It is indeed a hard thing to positively see, and you shouldn't whack anyone unless you're positive.

Last edited by bainsey; Wed Apr 18, 2012 at 01:44pm.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
The reason why flopping has grown is simple. It continues to go unpunished. I find the blocking call on a flop to be a cop-out, and it does not directly with the issue -- that flopping is unsportsmanlike. It was indeed a POI about seven years ago in NFHS, thought I can't speak to whether it has actually helped curb it.
Jeff Van Gundy is ABSOLUTELY right!!!!! Remember fellas...."you promote what you permit".

NBA/NCAA/NFHS could stop flopping if they want to, but they don't want to.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 10:09am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Jeff Van Gundy is ABSOLUTELY right!!!!! Remember fellas...."you promote what you permit".

NBA/NCAA/NFHS could stop flopping if they want to, but they don't want to.
And how could they stop it?
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
And how could they stop it?
If by "they" you include the officials...just call the T.

If by "they" you mean assignors...direct the officials to just call the T.

It would stop pretty quickly if just a few T's were called.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 12:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If by "they" you include the officials...just call the T.

If by "they" you mean assignors...direct the officials to just call the T.

It would stop pretty quickly if just a few T's were called.
That was the point I was hoping to get across...the NFHS and NCAA (don't know the NBA rules) don't need to do anything to stop this deadly epidemic of flopping...we - the officials - have all the tools we need to address the issue.

So for 2cents to say "they" could stop it if they wanted to, "they" just don't want to is putting the blame where it doesn't belong.