The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
You know why they don't do it at higher levels? Because a) they knocked it off when told to, or b) didn't and got called for it once in jr high. Regardless I'm not worried, I'm not arrogant, and I rarely work without two partners who are always helpful.on rules knowledge.
That bolded statement is directly contradicted by the previous post I quoted above this one. And don't try to sell me a load of crap that you are "different" in real life.

In college ball how long do you think your partners are going tolerate your lack of rules knowledge? On the contrary, the "rookies" are expected to be the rules expert on the crew.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:19am
Administrator

Quote:
Remind me of my lack of rules knowledge as I blow through HS ball and start working d3 college stuff and beyond...

I am going to cringe for what I am about to write after I hit the "Submit Reply" button, BUT:

Listen up whippersnapper, I have forgotten more about the rules and mechanics of basketball and still know more that you do! Before you can begin to become a good official on the court, you had damn well better know the rules, casebook, and mechanics backwards, forwards, and inside out. Officials with you arrogant attitude are not needed in our profession. When you have come close to accomplishing what I have done in my 41 years of officiating, or some of my freinds both in this forum, or my personal friends across the country, then just maybe yoiu can start to cop an attitude with some of on this forum. My advice to you is keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut.

This is no way to start a Sunday morning.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. If MTD, Jr., started mouthing off like you just did, I would have knocked him into the middle of next season.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:47am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Here, here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
P.S. If MTD, Jr., started mouthing off like you just did, I would have knocked him into the middle of next season.
As the father of 3 officials below the age of 22, I strongly concur with this statement.
Duffman, come hang around my crew for a while and get a strong lesson in competency, rules savvy, respectfulness, and, most importantly, humility. I'll pay for your ticket...
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 11:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You know why they don't do it at higher levels? Because a) they knocked it off when told to, or b) didn't and got called for it once in jr high. Regardless I'm not worried, I'm not arrogant, and I rarely work without two partners who are always helpful.on rules knowledge.
No, they don't do it because it's pointless. And while I might tell them to stop, there's no violation to call. Usually, a quick "knock it off" works. If that doesn't, and you think the contact rises to the level of a foul, you could call a double foul. You can also stand there and stare at them til the stop. You might be able to get away with making some sort of "you can't do that" call in a Jr. High game, but if you tried doing that in a high school game around here you'd be stuck working freshman girls until you figured out it's a good idea to know the rules.

In your area, with two partners who can help you with the rules, you can probably do pretty well. But that's nothing to brag about, to be honest. It's a sad indictment of the state of officiating in your area.

In most places, you have to be able to hold your own with the rules, or you won't be working varsity games.

Last edited by Adam; Sun Mar 18, 2012 at 11:46am.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They are violating the I told you to stop that rule.

GG
And if they don't, what is the penalty that you are going to impose? And how is your assignor going to justify it when the coach sends them a tape?
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 12:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Remind me of my lack of rules knowledge as I blow through HS ball and start working d3 college stuff and beyond...
And for the record, it's not your misunderstanding of the rules that's drawing the ire here. It's the fact that you don't seem to care, and still try to justify the "you can't do that because I said so" rule.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
No, they don't do it because it's pointless. And while I might tell them to stop, there's no violation to call. Usually, a quick "knock it off" works. If that doesn't, and you think the contact rises to the level of a foul, you could call a double foul. You can also stand there and stare at them til the stop. You might be able to get away with making some sort of "you can't do that" call in a Jr. High game, but if you tried doing that in a high school game around here you'd be stuck working freshman girls until you figured out it's a good idea to know the rules.

In your area, with two partners who can help you with the rules, you can probably do pretty well. But that's nothing to brag about, to be honest. It's a sad indictment of the state of officiating in your area.

In most places, you have to be able to hold your own with the rules, or you won't be working varsity games.
Lol why would I try and call that in a HS game? That's just stupid.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lol why would I try and call that in a HS game? That's just stupid.
I don't know why, you were the one calling it.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Yes Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
As the father of 3 officials below the age of 22, I strongly concur with this statement.
Duffman, come hang around my crew for a while and get a strong lesson in competency, rules savvy, respectfulness, and, most importantly, humility. I'll pay for your ticket...
Hey, Dad. Don't forget me. I promise to be super, super silent.
Yes Dad. Yes Dad. Yes Dad.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 12:03pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
Hey, Dad. Don't forget me. I promise to be super, super silent.
Yes Dad. Yes Dad. Yes Dad.
L3:
If you can be as big a doofus as Duffman I'll let you play along!!!

Last edited by justacoach; Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 02:04pm.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 12:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
Disclaimer: I'm a baseball guy.

Can somebody please clarify the rule for me. Is it the player behind the arc cannot cross the arc before the ball hits the rim, or is it that the player behind the arc cannot cross the free throw line before the ball hits the rim?

If it is the arc then it is a very clear violation. If it is the free throw line, then it is pretty close. He appears to have one foot down, just over the free throw line when the ball hits the rim, not "near the block" as somebody mentioned earlier.
It is an easy call, and not at all close for a non-newbie official.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 12:40pm
Administrator

Quote:

And why are you the weak link when it comes to rules knowlege. If you want to make it to Div. I or the NBA/WNBA you had better know the rules and casebook play and not hope your partners know the rules.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
It is an easy call, and not at all close for a non-newbie official.
So the rule is that the player behind the arc cannot cross the arc before the ball hits the rim.....right?
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 09:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
So the rule is that the player behind the arc cannot cross the arc before the ball hits the rim.....right?
The players not along the lane must be behind the 3 point arc and the FT line extended. The restriction does not end until the ball hits the rim or backboard
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 11:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The players not along the lane must be behind the 3 point arc and the FT line extended. The restriction does not end until the ball hits the rim or backboard
Or flange or...the free throw ends.