The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 01:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
I just kicked the 'round mound of rebound' off the pedestal on which I had him esconced for many years.
Sarcasm? Or confession?
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Surprised no one has pointed out that it was xavier v. Norte Dame...rather than Temple lol
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That may be, but one of the things you mention is not even a violation, ever.....and brings into question your knowledge of the rules which makes it hard to discuss philosophy of how they should be called.

And A/D is not a factor for violations...it is understanding the purpose of the rule and knowing when to apply it.
But not too hard to argue with evidently... It's called a you can't do that violation and is prevalent in youth and hs girls games. It's preceded by the both of you knock it off mechanic.

Remind me of my lack of rules knowledge as I blow through HS ball and start working d3 college stuff and beyond...

Last edited by Duffman; Sat Mar 17, 2012 at 03:36pm.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 01:57pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Like Camron, I'd love to see a rule reference to know what violation these players are committing in your "hand fighting" scenario.

You cannot possibly be comparing the player running from the arc to the block to the big guy with a toe on the FT line.

Its what I call: Playing paddy cake. LOL It is prevalent it girls' games at the H.S. level and below and I tell them to knock it off.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
But not too hard to argue with evidently... It's called a you can't do that violation and is prevalent in youth and hs girls games. It's preceded by both of you knock it off mechanic.

Remind me of my lack of rules as I blow through HS ball and start working d3 college stuff and beyond...
Why can't you do that? Show me a rule that says anything close to it being a violation. You might tell them to knock it off, but still, it is not a violation and never has been.

You just might blow throw HS ball but it will evidently not be due to your command of the rules. Someday, you'll get run into someone that knows better when you try to make something up and you'll try to puff your chest to to cover if it up and they'll call you on it.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
And how would they suggest the officials prevent it? Should officials remind those not on the lane that they can't enter until the ball hits? Do they need to remind them before every FT? Or just in the last minute? Or only in the tournament?

No. This one's on the players for not knowing the rules and on the coaches for not teaching them the rules.
The first time you see it, address it. Don't let a player continue to violate and wait till there is an 'advantage' gained before you blow the whistle. Either remind them early on when you see it, I.e. warn them, or blow your whistle for the violation the first time.
IMO, the officials were letting it go because there had not been an advantage gained, and it came back to bite them in the butt.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 03:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
The first time you see it, address it. Don't let a player continue to violate and wait till there is an 'advantage' gained before you blow the whistle. Either remind them early on when you see it, I.e. warn them, or blow your whistle for the violation the first time.
IMO, the officials were letting it go because there had not been an advantage gained, and it came back to bite them in the butt.
Were they coming in from the arc all game?
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Were they coming in from the arc all game?
They were quite a few times. Like I said on the second FT after the called violation they did it again. I think it was even the same player, but not certain.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why can't you do that? Show me a rule that says anything close to it being a violation. You might tell them to knock it off, but still, it is not a violation and never has been.

You just might blow throw HS ball but it will evidently not be due to your command of the rules. Someday, you'll get run into someone that knows better when you try to make something up and you'll try to puff your chest to to cover if it up and they'll call you on it.
You know why they don't do it at higher levels? Because a) they knocked it off when told to, or b) didn't and got called for it once in jr high. Regardless I'm not worried, I'm not arrogant, and I rarely work without two partners who are always helpful.on rules knowledge.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Disclaimer: I'm a baseball guy.

Can somebody please clarify the rule for me. Is it the player behind the arc cannot cross the arc before the ball hits the rim, or is it that the player behind the arc cannot cross the free throw line before the ball hits the rim?

If it is the arc then it is a very clear violation. If it is the free throw line, then it is pretty close. He appears to have one foot down, just over the free throw line when the ball hits the rim, not "near the block" as somebody mentioned earlier.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
Disclaimer: I'm a baseball guy.

Can somebody please clarify the rule for me. Is it the player behind the arc cannot cross the arc before the ball hits the rim, or is it that the player behind the arc cannot cross the free throw line before the ball hits the rim?

If it is the arc then it is a very clear violation. If it is the free throw line, then it is pretty close. He appears to have one foot down, just over the free throw line when the ball hits the rim, not "near the block" as somebody mentioned earlier.
He may not enter until the ball hits the rim, flange, or backboard.

NCAA Rule Book (2011-2012)
Rule 9, Section 1
Art. 2. After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower:

g. Players not in a legal marked lane space shall remain behind the free throw line extended and behind the three-point field-goal line until the ball strikes the ring, flange or backboard, or until the free throw ends.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You know why they don't do it at higher levels? Because a) they knocked it off when told to, or b) didn't and got called for it once in jr high. Regardless I'm not worried, I'm not arrogant, and I rarely work without two partners who are always helpful.on rules knowledge.
They dont do it at higher levels because its stupid and hurts the player doing it.

For the second part...I work with a few guys that on occasion that depend on me knowing the rules and I want to slap them silly for it. I HATE having to conduct rules clinics at halftime/end of game with my partners because they dont study enough.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You know why they don't do it at higher levels? Because a) they knocked it off when told to, or b) didn't and got called for it once in jr high.
The point remains....what justification do you have for telling them to not do that? What rule are they violating or close to violating?

Quote:
Regardless I'm not worried, I'm not arrogant, and I rarely work without two partners who are always helpful.on rules knowledge.
Huh???
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

They are violating the I told you to stop that rule.

GG
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Remind me of my lack of rules knowledge as I blow through HS ball and start working d3 college stuff and beyond...
Is that a statement of fact or a statement of speculation? Need to know before I answer.