The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   ND vs Temple (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89931-nd-vs-temple.html)

reffish Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:27pm

ND vs Temple

Great calls at end of game. Free throw violation on the front end of one and one. Then the intentional foul on throw-in.

APG Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:28pm

That official was on fire at the end of the game. He nailed them all!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XUhNSI6XRw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/syIOhoM3ohU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Duffman Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:30pm

As a player I HATE the ft violation call.

stiffler3492 Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:31pm

Saw on Twitter Barkley was going off? Anyone catch it?

justacoach Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:36pm

I just kicked the 'round mound of rebound' off the pedestal on which I had him esconced for many years. He puts the typical rec league coach to shame with his ridiculous tirade on national CBS broadcast.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 832547)
As a player I HATE the ft violation call.

Duffman:

And what other violations do you not like: illegal dribble, traveling, basket interference, goaltending, to name a few?

MTD, Sr.

Johnny Ringo Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:51pm

He also "nailed it" on the FG attempt that broke the backboard plane!

Duffman Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 832577)
Duffman:

And what other violations do you not like: illegal dribble, traveling, basket interference, goaltending, to name a few?

MTD, Sr.

I hate violations that are called tha have little if any advantage/disadvantage.

That said I'm in a bar amd the telecast focused on the players in marked spaces opposite of camera. I've since seen a replay and agree with the call on the player outside the arc entering early.

BktBallRef Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 832577)

I'll answer that.

I don't like FT violations on MADE free throws. With the exception of the shooter, I don't think either team should be penalized. No advantage is gained when the ball goes in the basket. Why penalize the offense on a made FT, just because someone steps in?

It's a bad rule.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 832581)
I hate violations that are called tha have little if any advantage/disadvantage.

That said I'm in a bar amd the telecast focused on the players in marked spaces opposite of camera. I've since seen a replay and agree with the call on the player outside the arc entering early.

Duffman:

If you do your due diligence in learning the history of the rules of basketball and the Oswald Tower Philosophy, you will learn the advantage-disadvantage applies to fouls but not to violations.

MTD, Sr.

BktBallRef Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:56pm

What page in the rule book is the Tower Philosophy explained?????

Duffman Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 832587)
Duffman:

If you do your due diligence in learning the history of the rules of basketball and the Oswald Tower Philosophy, you will learn the advantage-disadvantage applies to fouls but not to violations.

MTD, Sr.

Odd, as ive seen many quality officials talk players out of three second violations, and minor hand fighting Free throw violations, and players running intentionally oob violations in which no advantage was gained.

Duffman Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 832585)
I'll answer that.

I don't like FT violations on MADE free throws. With the exception of the shooter, I don't think either team should be penalized. No advantage is gained when the ball goes in the basket. Why penalize the offense on a made FT, just because someone steps in?

It's a bad rule.

I kinda understand where you are coming from here especially in situations in which the violation doesn't disconcert the shooter, but at the same time, if it's a violation if team B does it when team A misses a FT, but it's NOT a violation on team A when team A does it and team A makes a FT, then you are essentially penalizing team B.

Camron Rust Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 832600)
Odd, as ive seen many quality officials talk players out of three second violations, and minor hand fighting Free throw violations, and players running intentionally oob violations in which no advantage was gained.

You realized that the "minor hand fighting Free throw violations" are not violations don't you? You can call a foul or not, but there is no violation to be called.

And talking a player out of committing a violation is different than ignore a violation that has already occurred.

Duffman Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:21am

Cameron, I'm referring to the hand fighting going on between two players in marked spaces while the shooter holds the ball.

And I'd accept what you are saying in the event you can tell me honestly that you've never passed on a 3 second violation when a player has a toe in the lane opposite of where the ball is and isn't using his/her position in the lane to gain an advantage, but I doubt you'd be able to do that.