The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 04:03pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
I watched the game. It was not a patient whistle -- it was "see if the shot goes in, if it doesn't then call the foul." I sure hope this isn't the direction advantage/disadvantage is going.

Of course, I had a similar situation on Saturday night where I gave my partner (the L) a chance to get the foul, waited a bit, then came in and got it from the C position. The coach actually asked me if I waited to see if the shot went in before calling the foul -- I reassured him that I don't officiate that way and I was just giving my partner an extra second or so to get that before I did. He was satisfied with that and life went on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
You need to log into your regular account.
That Guy is posting again?
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 04:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
That Guy is posting again?
I have no idea what you're talking about. Or the other guy. I assume it's some kind of code. I'll figure it out as I go along.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post

Your opinion. Without additional specific information, such as when the offense gathered the ball, we cannot agree or disagree. And your comment in a previous post about allowing 2 steps has no basis in the rules, as Snaqs has pointed out. This gives you either fanboy status, or, at best, shows your inexperience as an official.

I originally asked APG to post the video of this play (occurred at 11:44am CT on 3/8/12) just prior to the 12 minute media time out (Big Ten Ntwrk)....the Illini player LITERALLY gathered the ball, was bumped (whistle) took two steps and laid the ball in (Kitts incorrectly waved off the basket). If it gets posted, then people will see (make their own judgement) that, by rule, this basket should have been counted.

Why is this wrong? If Mike was trailing the initial fast break players, he would have a great look at the goaltend.

After the play I described above, Iowa stole the ball and missed a lay-up, a second Iowa player got the rebound and put up a lay up (Kitts STILL didn't make it to the baseline as the new lead - remember he was trail from calling the previous foul)...Kitts was the one official to have a whistle for goal-tending.

Really? Literally? So the MSU player had his butt on Sullinger? Another comment that has fanboy written all over it, rather than speaking as an official.

Yes. LITERALLY the starting center mis-timed his jump for an offensive rebound, landed on Sullinger's back/shoulder, stayed there a moment and THEN scored the rebound basket. No hyperbole/exaggeration....

Without describing the specific play, why should we take your word it was an "obvious foul"? As far as the T, if it was deserved, that's a good thing for Mike that he didn't let a (possible) bad call keep him from taking care of business. Whether or not a call or no call is bad does not give the coach an opportunity to act unsportsmanlike. A negative for Mike, in my mind, would be if he had allowed Izzo to go nuts without penalizing him.
This comment pretty much sums up your very likely fanboy status.

Finally, we have to take your word that the above examples were all in Mike's primary, that they were his calls, and that they really were incorrect.

I don't know how long you've been reading this forum, but we have fans come out of the woodwork at this time of year, using pretty much the terminology you've used here, to show how the refs have screwed over their team. Even some part-time officials show their full-time fanboy status this time of year. Or, some lower level officials like to simply crap on the higher level officials, because it makes them feel more important. We all screw up, even the Big Dogs. And we've discussed many of those plays. But your post shows either your inexperience, or your inner fanboy is leaking out.

I work NCAA-M D2 & D3, NAIA D1 & D2, Juco, and about 25% of my schedule is HS.....(49 games total from Nov 1 thru March 1)

You (and anyone else) can call me whatever you want - it doesn't bother me. What I find funny is how much people infer/how quick people are to make a judgement and then....how that judgement gets cemented into the psyche of the posters......

If people view me as a "fanboy"....fine.

Just my two cents.

(rocky, aren't you glad you asked? )
my response to each of your comments are included above (if I was a real fanboy, I would know how to format this differently....)
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What I find funny is how much people infer/how quick people are to make a judgement
Positively dripping with irony...
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

tried posting youtube vid

[img] youtube [/img] with no luck, what am I doing wrong?

Last edited by fullor30; Tue Mar 13, 2012 at 05:27pm. Reason: no ppic
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 05:47pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
tried posting youtube vid

[img] youtube [/img] with no luck, what am I doing wrong?
To embed, use this code:

Code:
(iframe width="{x}" height="{y}" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/{videoCode}" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>(/iframe)
Substitute for values inside curly braces for your own video. Change { to < and ) to >
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I watched the game. It was not a patient whistle -- it was "see if the shot goes in, if it doesn't then call the foul." I sure hope this isn't the direction advantage/disadvantage is going.
I guess you should have been on the game instead.

Oh, that's right. The supervisor put TV on the game, not you.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Mar 13, 2012 at 06:41pm.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
my response to each of your comments are included above (if I was a real fanboy, I would know how to format this differently....)
Nah, fanboys and regular posters both have issues with formatting.

Maybe the issue is a combination of things, including perhaps your communication skills. Remember, what makes a great official over a good one is not just calling plays; most officials can do that. It's also being able to handle proper communication - both during a game and outside the game.

First, your description of the continuation play still does not determine Mike was wrong. It could be how you're describing the play. Or it could be your lack of rule knowledge. But, as you describe it, if the IL player had one foot on the floor at the time of the gather, the player traveled after the foul which would wipe of the shot attempt. So, it's either a communication issue or lack of rules knowledge on your part, whether or not we actually see the play.

On the Sullinger play, all you said was this was a play that was Mike obviously missed. But you didn't say where the play originated; you didn't mention whether Mike was the L, T or C; you didn't mention why the other officials definitely wouldn't have put a whistle on it if it was sooooo obvious and why it was Mike's fault alone. Communicating the specific play better might make it easier for us to discuss as officials, rather than simply crapping on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Or, some lower level officials like to simply crap on the higher level officials, because it makes them feel more important.
Your mention of your schedule, rather than adressing this comment, seems to almost prove my point. Again, is it how you're communicating?

Finally,
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth
What I find funny is how much people infer/how quick people are to make a judgement
Doesn't your own comment speak for itself, especially regarding Mike?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 07:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I guess you should have been on the game instead.

Oh, that's right. The supervisor put TV on the game, not you.
Just making an observation. Not ripping TV -- he's one of my favorites to watch.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 07:07pm
Esteemed Participant

Kitts STILL didn't make it to the baseline as the new lead - remember he was trail from calling the previous foul

Wouldn't that make him the C? Don't they call and go opposite the table in NCAA-M? Or was it the previous foul not a shooting foul but a sideline throw-in opposite the table?
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just making an observation. Not ripping TV -- he's one of my favorites to watch.
I hear you're one of his favs to watch too.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
First, your description of the continuation play still does not determine Mike was wrong. It could be how you're describing the play. Or it could be your lack of rule knowledge. But, as you describe it, if the IL player had one foot on the floor at the time of the gather, the player traveled after the foul which would wipe of the shot attempt. So, it's either a communication issue or lack of rules knowledge on your part, whether or not we actually see the play.
It would wipe out a made basket, but if they didn't award the shooter two free throws, then the official didn't think he was even in the act of shooting (which was twocentsworth's point). I can't comment on the play as I haven't seen it, and I can't find any replay of the game.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Tue Mar 13, 2012 at 08:54pm.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

oh look, it's Mike Kitts working in Dayton tonight.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoInZebra View Post
Yep, Iona v BYU. Going to be high-scoring and fast-paced.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoInZebra View Post
He just called a clear charge a block