Just saying........

Joel

Me, neither.........huh?
Old Sat Sep 04, 2010, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Do what?
Old Sat Sep 04, 2010, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry.......just not understanding how Mike can deal with the AA Mens SP players as long as he has. I have done JO.....adult Men and Women in FP.....but for the most part they are familiar with FP softball......but am learning that most SP players are only familiar with LL and HS BB rules and all of the myths that are associated with them....

I can handle a JO softball coach easily because they have very little understanding of the rules and are easily handled......the Male SP player is so sure of their interpretation of the rules.....they are damn near impossible........especially in the upper levels....of course it does not hurt when some of the umpires are not up to the level of rules (not the local ASA guys......)

just sayin.....

Joel
Old Sat Sep 04, 2010, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
Sorry.......just not understanding how Mike can deal with the AA Mens SP players as long as he has. I have done JO.....adult Men and Women in FP.....but for the most part they are familiar with FP softball......but am learning that most SP players are only familiar with LL and HS BB rules and all of the myths that are associated with them....

I can handle a JO softball coach easily because they have very little understanding of the rules and are easily handled......the Male SP player is so sure of their interpretation of the rules.....they are damn near impossible........especially in the upper levels....of course it does not hurt when some of the umpires are not up to the level of rules (not the local ASA guys......)

just sayin.....

Joel
I believe many issues umpires have with the AA SP players are often of their own doing.

A lot of times it is because the umpire didn't hustle and "if you want better calls, pay for another umpire" is not an appropriate answer for an umpire to make a call at 2B on a lone runner from the plate area.

When there is a question, the umpire shouldn't fight it, just have the correct answer.

Knowing the rules and hustle are 90% of umpiring softball. Too many umpires learn the rules backwards. Instead of learning the Championship Play rules and applying local exceptions, they learn the local rules and.........well, that's it. Last thing a UIC wants to hear from an umpire is "well, that's the way it is back home". Once heard an umpire say that to Bernie and it wasn't pretty. Its bad enough the players don't understand the difference between local and CP rules, but they are not taking money to know the difference, the umpire is.

And when here is a confrontation, so what? Have you ever seen an umpire lose an argument on the field? Just smile. When they are done, talking, thank them and move on with the game. If they hit a magic word or cross the line, just tell them they are done and move on. I think the worst thing an umpire can do is show emotion in any discussion/argument or ejection situation. To me, that just takes the umpire to their level.

Well, you asked.