The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mike Kitts... B1G Championship (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89838-mike-kitts-b1g-championship.html)

Matt S. Sun Mar 11, 2012 03:21pm

Mike Kitts... B1G Championship

First he T's up Izzo after missing a rebounding foul, then he blows his whistle thinking the shot clock buzzer was the horn at the end of the half.

Extremely poor awareness...not to mention he simply can't keep up with the speed of the game anymore--frankly, I'm surprised he earned today's assignment.

Rich Sun Mar 11, 2012 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt S. (Post 831308)
First he T's up Izzo after missing a rebounding foul, then he blows his whistle thinking the shot clock buzzer was the horn at the end of the half.

Extremely poor awareness...not to mention he simply can't keep up with the speed of the game anymore--frankly, I'm surprised he earned today's assignment.

Why would you blame the *lead* for "missing" a rebounding foul?

Matt S. Sun Mar 11, 2012 03:34pm

Because it was right in front of him, in the paint. Is it possible he was screened by someone, sure... the larger gaffe is the shot clock/game clock lack of awareness, IMO.

ILRef80 Sun Mar 11, 2012 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt S. (Post 831310)
Because it was right in front of him, in the paint. Is it possible he was screened by someone, sure... the larger gaffe is the shot clock/game clock lack of awareness, IMO.

There were also bodies in between him and the players getting tangled up. And the contact was fairly marginal.

What gets me in this game is Valentine's extremely late foul calls. He's literally waiting to see if the ball goes in and calling the foul 3-4 seconds after it occurs.

stiffler3492 Sun Mar 11, 2012 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt S. (Post 831310)

I would argue that it would be a bigger gaffe to miss a foul, as you say he did, than to have an IW when the two horns would have been less than a second apart.

Matt S. Sun Mar 11, 2012 03:46pm

Agree to disagree. I've never understood why officials even feel the need to whistle at the end of a period, unless there's a shot to wave off... if I'm making $2500+ to do a game, I'm going to know there's .9 difference between game and shot clock at the end of a half.

twocentsworth Sun Mar 11, 2012 03:49pm

Wow...Mike Kitts is having a bad weekend!

I haven't seen much of his games @ the Big Ten tourney, but what I have seen is not good:

wrongly wiping off good layup by Illinois player
calling goal-tend as lead in transition (Ill v Iowa)
letting MSU post player literally sit on Sullengers back while tipping & then gathering a rebound. (MSU v OSU).
not calling obvious foul on OSU player...which lead to him whacking Izzo (when Izzo complained)
blowing whistle to end first half when time had not expired...it was only the shot clock horn (he's gotta know there will be 2 horns in that situation)

I hope, for his sake, it gets better! Hate to think what else he has screwed up if I actually watched ALL of his game....

ILRef80 Sun Mar 11, 2012 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt S. (Post 831313)
Agree to disagree. I've never understood why officials even feel the need to whistle at the end of a period, unless there's a shot to wave off... if I'm making $2500+ to do a game, I'm going to know there's .9 difference between game and shot clock at the end of a half.

I agree with this. The IW was a pretty big gaffe, IMO.

Judtech Sun Mar 11, 2012 04:02pm

I think the T was to Izzo because Izzo wanted a DOG for the OSU player passing the ball to a ref after a made OSU basket.
And Izzo did get the stop sign.

stiffler3492 Sun Mar 11, 2012 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILRef80 (Post 831315)
I agree with this. The IW was a pretty big gaffe, IMO.

Why? As far as IW's go, this one was as minor as it gets. Less that a second until the end of the half, there was clear team control when the IW happened, and quite frankly, Ohio State was already heading off the floor for halftime, maybe they thought the same thing that Kitts did?

twocentsworth Sun Mar 11, 2012 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 831318)
Why? As far as IW's go, this one was as minor as it gets. Less that a second until the end of the half, there was clear team control when the IW happened, and quite frankly, Ohio State was already heading off the floor for halftime, maybe they thought the same thing that Kitts did?

Except that it put MSU at a disadvantage by allowing a better scoring than they would have if he was paying attention...

The real problem is it illustrated his lack of awareness that has occurred ALL weekend! You CANNOT perform this poorly and still get the Campionship Game assignment.

Judtech Sun Mar 11, 2012 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 831322)
Except that it put MSU at a disadvantage by allowing a better scoring than they would have if he was paying attention...

The real problem is it illustrated his lack of awareness that has occurred ALL weekend! You CANNOT perform this poorly and still get the Campionship Game assignment.

If you are to be believed about earlier this tournament......apparently you can!

BillyMac Sun Mar 11, 2012 06:02pm

Goaltendng, Basket Interference ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 831314)
Calling goaltend as lead in transition.

I haven't seen the video, but around these parts, this can be, in a few circumstances, acceptable. Remember we're 99% two person here in Connecticut. Breakaway, transition situation, one official, lead, and a few players in the new frontcourt, new trail is deep in the backcourt, lead hasn't reached the endline yet, and is 100% sure. Blow the whistle, look to make sure your partner, the new trail, is still way back in the play, he doesn't have a whistle, and then count the basket. Usually pregamed.

Adam Sun Mar 11, 2012 06:09pm

Yep, it's that time of year.

JugglingReferee Sun Mar 11, 2012 06:27pm

I don't think 2 cents is a troll, but I do miss JR saying "piss off fanboy" and "Lah me". :cool: