The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 09:35pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post

Somtimes Corbin looks as though he is freakin bored and doesn't want to be there.....
This provokes a question. (maybe a poll) How desirable is it to try to maintain a certain demeanor on the court? How much, if any, emotion is too much to show?

Early in the season, I was discussing this with a new official. I told him no matter what you do, somebody isn't going to like it. I gave 3 examples.

_________ smiles all the time. "He's laughing at us!"

__________ frowns all the time. "He's mad at us!"

I, personally, make it a point to try and remain expressionless. (this is not always possible) "He doesn't even care!"

Thoughts?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This provokes a question. (maybe a poll) How desirable is it to try to maintain a certain demeanor on the court? How much, if any, emotion is too much to show?

Early in the season, I was discussing this with a new official. I told him no matter what you do, somebody isn't going to like it. I gave 3 examples.

_________ smiles all the time. "He's laughing at us!"

__________ frowns all the time. "He's mad at us!"

I, personally, make it a point to try and remain expressionless. (this is not always possible) "He doesn't even care!"

Thoughts?
Expressionless, but focused. Its hard for someone to say you don't care if you are watching intently and doing things to keep in the game. If your hands are on your hips and staring, that's a different story
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 08:12am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmoney View Post
Expressionless, but focused. Its hard for someone to say you don't care if you are watching intently and doing things to keep in the game. If your hands are on your hips and staring, that's a different story
I have one supervisor who likes for his officials to smile every once in a while and will comment if he thinks we look too serious all the time on the court.

I have another supervisor who doesn't like robots and wants us all to develop and show our own personalities on the court.

Both of these guys are very big on positive and effective communication with HCs.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
BNR - I like respect many of your opinions and I was wondering if you viewed Corbin's style as cool or apathetic as compared to Scott Foster (#48) in the NBA who looks like he OD on 5 hr energy drinks.....
If you think Foster is on energy drinks, then I want to know what you think Hightower is on!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 11:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
If you think Foster is on energy drinks, then I want to know what you think Hightower is on!
Rocket fuel, of course.