Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
4-23-1
Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent.

If I'm chasing you from behind (trailing), I am NOT in your path, am I?
Ok, big timer..Bottom line. I cannot dispute the rule as written under 4-23-1...

4-23-3c states: The guard my move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.

So, I take it as as long as the defender is between the ball handler and the basket a count will be maintained.

The defender is within the 6' radius and moving laterally. Just because the ball handler is slightly past him/her in my judgement does not terminate the closely guard count if moving laterally and not attempting to score.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 06:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
Ok, big timer..Bottom line. I cannot dispute the rule as written under 4-23-1...

4-23-3c states: The guard my move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.

So, I take it as as long as the defender is between the ball handler and the basket a count will be maintained.

The defender is within the 6' radius and moving laterally. Just because the ball handler is slightly past him/her in my judgement does not terminate the closely guard count if moving laterally and not attempting to score.
If A1 is going laterally parallel to the division line (with division line to A1's right and defender to A1's left) and B1 is trailing far enough that if A1 turns and faces left and no part of the B1 would be in A1's path then I'm killing the count.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2012, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

First, "big timer?" Hardly. Old timer? Yeah.

Second, the basket has nothing to do with it. That's what we're trying to get you to understand. If moving laterally or obliquely keeps the defender in the dribbler's path, then he is still guarding. Trailing the opponent is not guarding him, as you stated earlier.

Finally, if you were more open minded to what old timers have to say instead of being so defensive, you might pick up a few tidbits. At least, that's a lesson I learned when I first got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If A1 is going laterally parallel to the division line (with division line to A1's right and defender to A1's left) and B1 is trailing far enough that if A1 turns and faces left and no part of the B1 would be in A1's path then I'm killing the count.
Exactly.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
First, "big timer?" Hardly. Old timer? Yeah.

Second, the basket has nothing to do with it. That's what we're trying to get you to understand. If moving laterally or obliquely keeps the defender in the dribbler's path, then he is still guarding. Trailing the opponent is not guarding him, as you stated earlier.

Finally, if you were more open minded to what old timers have to say instead of being so defensive, you might pick up a few tidbits. At least, that's a lesson I learned when I first got here.

Exactly.
First, Ok, Old timer, it is.

Second, I got the basket reference is irrelevant to the rule. I stand to be corrected on "trailing a person with the ball is not considered guarding according to the rules". I have no legs to stand on with that one.

My point I was attempting to get across (which may not have been done clearly) is. I don't believe the rule intent is for the count to be discontinued just because the ball handler who is moving laterally and gets his/her head and shoulder past the defender without movement towards the endline.

Third, I stand to be corrected on "trailing a person with the ball is not considered guarding according to the rules".

Finally, Who's to say that during discussions something is not being taken away? Just because one may not agree openly doesn't mean they are not taking something (tidbits) away.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My point I was attempting to get across (which may not have been done clearly) is. I don't believe the rule intent is for the count to be discontinued just because the ball handler who is moving laterally and gets his/her head and shoulder past the defender without movement towards the endline.
We all got your point, you were crystal. You want to add movement toward the basket to the closely guarded requirements.
The rules just say path not any particular direction of the path...