The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

NFHS closely guarded rule

Regarding the closely guarded rule:

I had an official tell me that he NFHS rule book only says closely guarded, and no mention that a player has to also be within 6 feet. He said that distance doesn't matter, and that closely guarded is up to official's judgment.

I know the defender has to remain within 6 feet to maintain the count, but I don't know the rule/case reference. Could someone please post it?

Thanks.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 09:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

One Fathom ...

4-10: A closely guarded situation occurs when a player in control of the ball in his/her
team’s frontcourt, is continuously guarded by any opponent who is within six feet
of the player who is holding or dribbling the ball. The distance shall be measured
from the forward foot/feet of the defender to the forward foot/feet of the ball
handler. A closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in
control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 11, 2012 at 10:00am.
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Also...

If another defender switches onto the offensive player, assumes a closely-guarded situation and then the first defender leaves, the count continues.

9.10.1 SITUATION B:

While dribbling in A's frontcourt, A1 is closely guarded by B1. After two seconds, B2 also assumes a closely-guarded position on A1 and B1 leaves to guard A2.

RULING: The closely-guarded count continues. There is no requirement for the defensive player to remain the same during the count as long as A1 is closely-guarded throughout.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 01:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just For Fun ...

Defensive player B1 is closely guarding, less than six feet, dribbler A1. A1 dribbles, shoulder to shoulder, past legal screener A2. B1 goes behind screener A2 and still maintains a distance of less than six feet from the dribbler A1. Defensive player B1 continues to closely guard, less than six feet, dribbler A1 on the other side of the screen.

In a NFHS high school game, does the official continue his closely guarded count throughout this play?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Defensive player B1 is closely guarding, less than six feet, dribbler A1. A1 dribbles, shoulder to shoulder, past legal screener A2. B1 goes behind screener A2 and still maintains a distance of less than six feet from the dribbler A1. Defensive player B1 continues to closely guard, less than six feet, dribbler A1 on the other side of the screen.

In a NFHS high school game, does the official continue his closely guarded count throughout this play?
You had to bring up that one, didn't you?

Since I read the case book play as I searched for the rule citation in my other post I'll exclude myself from answering.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

That official should be smacked for screwing up such a basic rule.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 04:33pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:

I say yes according to the case play but let me see your bet and raise you one. What if ball handler A1 is more than six feet from B1 but is screened by A2. B1 is still attempting to get through the screen but is less than 6 feet from A2. Does the count still continue.

Then add this. A1 gets head and shoulders past the screened defender on the way for a lay up because of the screen, but defender gets back in front before the lay up and 5 seconds has expired. What do you have then?
Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 06:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Caseplay ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
You had to bring up that one, didn't you? Since I read the case book play as I searched for the rule citation in my other post I'll exclude myself from answering.
9.10.1 SITUATION D: Team A, while in possession of the ball in its frontcourt:
(a) positions four players parallel with the sideline and they pass the ball from one
to another with their arms reaching beyond the sideline plane; or (b) has four
teammates surround dribbler A1. In both (a) and (b), the opponents are unable
to get close to the ball. RULING: This is considered to be a closely-guarded
situation and a violation in five seconds in both (a) and (b), if any B player is
within 6 feet of the ball or within 6 feet of the screening teammates and is
attempting to gain control of the ball. Preventing opponents from getting to the
ball by using screening teammates becomes a violation in five seconds if the
opponents are attempting to gain control.

Old Sun Mar 11, 2012, 06:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Infamous IAABO Refresher Exam Question ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
You had to bring up that one, didn't you?
This was one of those controversial IAABO Refresher Exam questions a few years ago. Most of us said to continue the five second count. IAABO said no. Eventually IAABO told us that they had mixed up the NFHS interpretation with the NCAA interpretation.

Old Mon Mar 12, 2012, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
That official should be smacked for screwing up such a basic rule.
Actually, he didn't get smacked. My player got smacked with a T for complaining that no one was even close to him. It was pretty comical because he was our point guard standing between the top of the key and half court re-setting the offense. This was an AAU game, using NFHS-rules, so I don't believe we had high school caliber refs.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2012, 09:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
Actually, he didn't get smacked. My player got smacked with a T for complaining that no one was even close to him. It was pretty comical because he was our point guard standing between the top of the key and half court re-setting the offense. This was an AAU game, using NFHS-rules, so I don't believe we had high school caliber refs.
So the official called the 5 second violation? Where was the defender?
Old Mon Mar 12, 2012, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So the official called the 5 second violation? Where was the defender?
The free throw line.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2012, 09:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The free throw line.
Wow.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2012, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4-10: A closely guarded situation occurs when a player in control of the ball in his/her
team’s frontcourt, is continuously guarded by any opponent who is within six feet
of the player who is holding or dribbling the ball. The distance shall be measured
from the forward foot/feet of the defender to the forward foot/feet of the ball
handler. A closely guarded count shall be terminated when the offensive player in
control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past the defensive player.
Considering the last part of this rule, having the head and shoulders past the defensive player, would the offensive player need to be on a path TOWARDS the basket? Would moving in a lateral direction be enough to have the count dropped, provided the dribbler is by the defender?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2012, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Regarding the closely guarded rule:

I know the defender has to remain within 6 feet to maintain the count, but I don't know the rule/case reference. Could someone please post it?
Rule 4-23-1.
"There is no minimum distance required between the guard and opponent, but the maximum is 6 feet when closely guarded."

Rule 9-10 proscribes the violation for holding or dribbling a ball "while closely guarded."