The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=tref;830422]Rich, in my opinion the left foot of the defender is still sliding to the right & his body moves slightly right when the contact occurs.

What does left foot moving have to do with anything? He's established. Of course he moves when there is contact???
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Just maybe . . .

It's a running jumpshot, with the shooter's right foot leaving the playing surface before the left. From the Lead's position, he sees the right foot off the floor, and judges that he's in the air. Hence, the block call.
But, with our other angles, and slow motion, we see that the shooter is not actually in the air until after the defender has LGP. Thus, PC.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

fullor30, In my opinion this 2ndary defender sliding in from the left side never had LGP. Even if he did, in your opinion, he may move to maintain LGP but not into the path of the shooter. That's just the way I see this play, especially from the endline angle.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Correction tref, the defender CAN move into the path of the shooter if that shooter has not become airborne (sorry I don't have rule ref handy). This defender does slide into LGP during the shooters shooting motion, but is there before shooter leaves the floor.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Correction tref, the defender CAN move into the path of the shooter if that shooter has not become airborne (sorry I don't have rule ref handy). This defender does slide into LGP during the shooters shooting motion, but is there before shooter leaves the floor.
True, after obtaining LGP the defender may move to maintain it & can slide into the path provided they get there first.
In my opinion he never got LGP because his left foot was still sliding to the right trying to obtain LGP.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 10:35am
Administrator

CHARGE IT!!!

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I would have expected MTD, Jr., to be making that PC call from the L position by the end of the second game of his career.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Wed Mar 07, 2012 at 10:36am. Reason: Corrected grammar.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Charge....very close...but still a charge.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 10:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
CHARGE IT!!!

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I would have expected MTD, Jr., to be making that PC call from the L position by the end of the second game of his career.
You're exaggerating. This was an extremely close call and the responses here prove that to me. It's why I wanted to put it up for us to look at.

I respect the block call. I would've respected a PC call. It is really, really close.

Sometimes I think the "default to charge" mentality has taken the old "it's always a block" and swung completely the other way. I think a lot of officials at lower levels aren't looking at the plays and when there's a crash, just going the other way. Not at this level and I'm not talking about anyone here.

Last edited by Rich; Wed Mar 07, 2012 at 10:59am.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
True, after obtaining LGP the defender may move to maintain it & can slide into the path provided they get there first.
In my opinion he never got LGP because his left foot was still sliding to the right trying to obtain LGP.
Again, what does left foot have to do with anything? He's already set, his body doesn't budge, in other words, his body never moves right due to left foot moving. let me ask you, if left foot moved backward and all else is same, what is your call?

It's very close , yet IMHO you're arriving at your call for the wrong reasons.

Last edited by fullor30; Wed Mar 07, 2012 at 11:21am.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 11:17am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
You're exaggerating. This was an extremely close call and the responses here prove that to me. It's why I wanted to put it up for us to look at.

I respect the block call. I would've respected a PC call. It is really, really close.

Sometimes I think the "default to charge" mentality has taken the old "it's always a block" and swung completely the other way. I think a lot of officials at lower levels aren't looking at the plays and when there's a crash, just going the other way. Not at this level and I'm not talking about anyone here.

Rich:

With all do respect, I thought it was an easy call. Either the defender established a LGP or he didn't and I thought it was a no brainer, at least for me, that it was a charge.

It is my opinion that too many times a block is called on a bang-bang block/charge, when it really is a charge, and this is because the official either does not the rule, fails to officiate the defense, or (at the H.S. level) is afraid to call a charge because a block is the expected call by coaches in far too many areas.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rich:

With all do respect, I thought it was an easy call. Either the defender established a LGP or he didn't and I thought it was a no brainer, at least for me, that it was a charge.

It is my opinion that too many times a block is called on a bang-bang block/charge, when it really is a charge, and this is because the official either does not the rule, fails to officiate the defense, or (at the H.S. level) is afraid to call a charge because a block is the expected call by coaches in far too many areas.

MTD, Sr.
Agreed, it was close, but it was a charge.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 11:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
If his foot is sliding, then it's on the floor and he has LGP.

I haven't seen the video yet.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 12:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Agree ...

Quote:
CHARGE
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:36pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
He continues to reach new plateaus.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
He continues to reach new plateaus.
That was a good episode though!