The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 11:57pm
I miss being on the floor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hartford, WI
Posts: 917
APG Video Request

Duke-Ohio State tonight on ESPN.

Around the 12:50 mark of the 2nd half, B1 tips the ball away from A1. A2 goes to grab it, and starts dribbling. The ball bounces in the frontcourt, but his feet are in the backcourt.

From the TV view, it didn't seem like the ball ever got to the backcourt, nor did B1 gain player control.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 12:28am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Mary Struckoff would tell you this is a violation. B1 is the last to touch the ball "before" it goes into the BC, however, so I wouldn't call it.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 12:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Mary Struckoff would tell you this is a violation. B1 is the last to touch the ball "before" it goes into the BC, however, so I wouldn't call it.
Agree....no violation.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 12:44am
I miss being on the floor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hartford, WI
Posts: 917
What about the ball not even getting to the backcourt? Would the first to touch/last to touch requirement not apply then? If A1 recovers before the ball gets to the backcourt, but his feet are in the backcourt while he is in PC, how can that not be a violation?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 12:48am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
What about the ball not even getting to the backcourt? Would the first to touch/last to touch requirement not apply then? If A1 recovers before the ball gets to the backcourt, but his feet are in the backcourt while he is in PC, how can that not be a violation?
If A1 recovers the ball with his feet in the backcourt, the ball is now in the backcourt.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 12:59am
I miss being on the floor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hartford, WI
Posts: 917
I see what you're saying. The play in question is available to see now on espn3.com. Again, it's around the 12:50 mark, 2nd half.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:07am
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I see what you're saying. The play in question is available to see now on espn3.com. Again, it's around the 12:50 mark, 2nd half.
It was a correct no call. Despite the senseless casebook play, I would be hard pressed to call that in an NFHS game.
__________________
Even if youíre on the right track, youíll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:10am
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Not under the new FED wording of the rules
It didn't fit the old wording but that crazy casebook play didn't seem to care.
__________________
Even if youíre on the right track, youíll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:17am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 574
i thought it was a violation when it happened...look at it again via DVR and still think so (although it would be hard to explain to everybody).

Aaron Craft (OSU PG) touched/started dribbling the ball when BOTH of his feet were in the backcourt...violation. This isn't soccer - where a player can be out of bounds touching the ball even if the ball isn't out of bounds. By rule, this should have been a backcourt violation.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:25am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
i thought it was a violation when it happened...look at it again via DVR and still think so (although it would be hard to explain to everybody).

Aaron Craft (OSU PG) touched/started dribbling the ball when BOTH of his feet were in the backcourt...violation. This isn't soccer - where a player can be out of bounds touching the ball even if the ball isn't out of bounds. By rule, this should have been a backcourt violation.
Please read the rule again. BC is not the same as OOB. The rule says the team in control has to be the last to touch the ball before it goes into the bc. In this play, B1 was the last to touch it. If you can't explain it, how can you call it?
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:31am
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,986
What Snaqs said. The OSU player started dribbling when he was standing in the backcourt but the ball was in the front court. Team B (Duke) was the last to touch in the front court so this is not a backcourt violation.

Since the player is now dribbling, the ball is not in the frontcourt until the ball and both of the dribbler's feet are in the frontcourt.
__________________
Even if youíre on the right track, youíll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:39am
I miss being on the floor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hartford, WI
Posts: 917
The only way this could be a violation, then, is if A1 recovered the ball while he was still in the frontcourt, then stepped into the backcourt.

It's tough to tell from the TV angle if that's what happened.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
The only way this could be a violation, then, is if A1 recovered the ball while he was still in the frontcourt, then stepped into the backcourt.

It's tough to tell from the TV angle if that's what happened.
what I saw was an OSU player dribbling the ball, deflected/touched by a Duke player, OSU player touches ball in attempt to recover, ball goes near backcourt line, OSU player (Aaron Craft) regains control by dribbling while his feet were clearly in the backcourt.

that, by rule is a back court violation.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:52am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
what I saw was an OSU player dribbling the ball, deflected/touched by a Duke player, OSU player touches ball in attempt to recover, ball goes near backcourt line, OSU player (Aaron Craft) regains control by dribbling while his feet were clearly in the backcourt.

that, by rule is a back court violation.
Are you saying an OSU player touched it in the FC after Duke tipped it but before the ball was touched by the player standing in the BC?
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:54am
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
what I saw was an OSU player dribbling the ball, deflected/touched by a Duke player, OSU player touches ball in attempt to recover, ball goes near backcourt line, OSU player (Aaron Craft) regains control by dribbling while his feet were clearly in the backcourt.

that, by rule is a back court violation.
I did not see that in the ESPN3 feed, I saw a Team B tip and then Team A begin his dribble while standing in the backcourt.
__________________
Even if youíre on the right track, youíll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A new request rainmaker Basketball 4 Thu Mar 02, 2006 01:07pm
I have a request The Ref of OZ!!! Football 9 Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:49pm
Appropriate help request? insatty Baseball 9 Wed May 28, 2003 01:27pm
Help request Ladybirdsho Swimming/Diving 0 Tue Nov 26, 2002 08:57am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1