The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Why are college officials having a problem with block/charge? I saw once in the ACC playoffs and once in the NCAA games where two officials called different things and they gave each player a foul. The first thing that stood out was that each time, neither of the officials who should have been working that call as secondary made eye contact with the lead official who was working that call primary. In the NCAA game the trail official came down all the way to the foul line extended to make that call. If he is the trail why was he down so far since the lead was on the same side of the court and in position looking in? Is there any training that college officials go through that teach them to blow and not move, then look at their partner before making a call, most of all when it is not their primary area of coverage? Are these people blowing their whistles hard enough so their partners can hear them?

To give two players a foul on a block/charge I think is taking the easy way out as oppose to checking your partner who is in the primary and communicating before going to the table and someone take responsibility for the call.

Good luck to the men and women working the rest of the tournament.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Feel better? Welcome to the board.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 07:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by 164troyave
Are these people blowing their whistles hard enough so their partners can hear them?

To give two players a foul on a block/charge I think is taking the easy way out as oppose to checking your partner who is in the primary and communicating before going to the table and someone take responsibility for the call.
164troyave,
I've never worked in a frenzied NCAA tourney, so I dunno about the decibels of the whistle blowin'. I imagine it's generally loud enough to be heard.
And, contrary to your thinking that a blarge is the "easy way out", I just have to disagree with that.
I think that's a really hard call to make... for all parties concerned.
Keep postin'.
mick
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 07:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Unfortunately, that is the way it is suppose to be handled.

Quote:

It is not an easy way out, it is the way the rules wants us to call it at that level. It does not make sense in many ways, but if that happens, that is the way these officials are suppose to handle it.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Good luck to the men and women working the rest of the tournament.
Regardless of anything else you said, you get two extra points for saying "men and women". I know we're not supposed to be worried about PC, but it feels good to this woman to be recognized. Not that I'm working the tournament, just that I hope I might someday.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Of course you know that if it weren't for Title IX, the NCAA women's tournament would only have eight teams!
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Of course you know that if it weren't for Title IX, the NCAA women's tournament would only have eight teams!
Oh! Oh! Stir that hornets nest!
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...and I suppose rainmaker could reply, "If it weren't for your momma, you wouldn't be here!"

RD
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
...and I suppose rainmaker could reply, "If it weren't for your momma, you wouldn't be here!"

RD
Actually I was going to reply, "Yes, isn't it wonderful?"
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 11:41am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Wow...sure is fun having you around the board...things pretty rough in Nevada or something??
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 12:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Very, very true.

Quote:
I do not know why folks are so offended, but that is true. Because before Title IX, there was not the same equality as there is today. But then again, we are on a discussion board. People get offended over almost everything.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 12:16pm
Esteemed Participant

So who's offended?? Nevadaref posted something to stir up the pot and he got replies...big deal...everyone also realizes that if it weren't for all the $$$ that CBS and the advertisers pump into the men's tournament, it would not have 64 teams either...those $$$ have been great for the men's tournament, and Title IX has been great for the women's...
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why are college officials having a problem with block/charge? I saw once in the ACC playoffs and once in the NCAA games where two officials called different things and they gave each player a foul. The first thing that stood out was that each time, neither of the officials who should have been working that call as secondary made eye contact with the lead official who was working that call primary. In the NCAA game the trail official came down all the way to the foul line extended to make that call. If he is the trail why was he down so far since the lead was on the same side of the court and in position looking in? Is there any training that college officials go through that teach them to blow and not move, then look at their partner before making a call, most of all when it is not their primary area of coverage? Are these people blowing their whistles hard enough so their partners can hear them?

If the men would adopt one rule that we have in womens, I wish it would be that the official who's primary the call was in takes it. Then it avoids calling two fouls on one play.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 12:54pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevzebra
If the men would adopt one rule that we have in womens, I wish it would be that the official who's primary the call was in takes it. Then it avoids calling two fouls on one play.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Kevzebra,
The mechanics are the same.
Over-exuberance of immediately selling the call could have been the cause of the double whistle, or it could have been in the dual coverage area.
Either way, prevention may be found in a slower whistle.
...And that's no different from Women's mechanics.
mick
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 01:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Money makes the world go round.

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad

Wow...sure is fun having you around the board...things pretty rough in Nevada or something??
I do not know about you, but this sounds offended to me. Why would you question the man's state or what is going on there?

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad

if it weren't for all the $$$ that CBS and the advertisers pump into the men's tournament, it would not have 64 teams either...those $$$ have been great for the men's tournament, and Title IX has been great for the women's...
But why do they pump money into the Men's Tournament? Ya think it might be because more people watch the Men's game and attend those games? This is one of the reasons that the Women's NCAA Tournmaent is on cable TV. If CBS made money on the Women's Tournament, the games would not be on ESPN. No different than why hockey was on cable for a long time and ABC network is currently losing money for putting the NHL on regular TV. I wonder why they put NBA games on the weekend now?

Peace