The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 11:35am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Making Sure Refs Follow Rules Too

Thought some of you might find this interesting.

Making sure the refs follow the rules, too | Washington Examiner

Unlike Padgett's corner of the world, local officials and leagues don't get too much press around here.......I guess that may be because our "local paper" is the Washington Post!
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 11:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Them's Fightn' Words ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
"They discuss that both teams have a go-to scorer, C.J. McCollum of Lehigh and Charles Hinkle of AU, except they are never referred to by name, only number. Greenwood asks the referees to take note of who they are charging with fouls. Translation: When trying to establish the tenor of the game early, don't get either of the go-to players into foul trouble. "If it's a foul, it's a foul. We have to call it," Greenwood says. "But we do have to be mindful who we're calling it against"".

Let the games begin.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 04, 2012 at 03:20pm.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

I hate this ****. I hated this **** as a player also. The rules should apply to everyone.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 12:18pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
"They discuss that both teams have a go-to scorer, C.J. McCollum of Lehigh and Charles Hinkle of AU, except they are never referred to by name, only number. Greenwood asks the referees to take note of who they are charging with fouls. Translation: When trying to establish the tenor of the game early, don't get either of the go-to players into foul trouble. "If it's a foul, it's a foul. We have to call it," Greenwood says. "But we do have to be mindful who we're calling it against".

Let the games begin.
Sounds like an NBA mentality. Pretty surprised an NCAA assignor would make a quote like that to the media.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 12:18pm
Huck Finn

I can go one (or several) further. I know of a situation where a coach flat out told a coach that if he would have charged a foul to player X it would have been his fourth. He said this in the second half meaning he said it loud enough for the coach to hear it at the other end of the court. The coach who the foul was called for could have easily heard it and went crazy.

What do you guys think of that?
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

Making sure the refs follow the rules, too | Washington Examiner

Unlike Padgett's corner of the world, local officials and leagues don't get too much press around here.......I guess that may be because our "local paper" is the Washington Post!
The tonsorially challenged ref in the picture is a neighbor of mine. He took a trip to China to call a couple of preseason games during the NBA officials' lock out whenever it was.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 02:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
"They discuss that both teams have a go-to scorer, C.J. McCollum of Lehigh and Charles Hinkle of AU, except they are never referred to by name, only number. Greenwood asks the referees to take note of who they are charging with fouls. Translation: When trying to establish the tenor of the game early, don't get either of the go-to players into foul trouble. "If it's a foul, it's a foul. We have to call it," Greenwood says. "But we do have to be mindful who we're calling it against".

Let the games begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Sounds like an NBA mentality. Pretty surprised an NCAA assignor would make a quote like that to the media.
Reggie Greenwood did not make the bolded statement. The reporter inserted it in between quotes from Mr. Greenwood making it easy to infer that this was Mr. Greenwood's mentality.

Billy incorrectly added quotation marks to the beginning of the passage.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Mar 04, 2012 at 02:28pm.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 02:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
I hate this ****. I hated this **** as a player also. The rules should apply to everyone.
You hate what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Reggie Greenwood did not make the bolded statement. The reporter inserted it in between quotes from Mr. Greenwood making it easy to infer that this was Mr. Greenwood's mentality.

Agreed, and it further illuminates the issue with letting a reporter into the pregame.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 02:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I can go one (or several) further. I know of a situation where a coach flat out told a coach that if he would have charged a foul to player X it would have been his fourth. He said this in the second half meaning he said it loud enough for the coach to hear it at the other end of the court. The coach who the foul was called for could have easily heard it and went crazy.

What do you guys think of that?
Well, you've given no information as to what the official(s) did on the play so all I can say is that it sounds like something I've heard coaches say before.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 02:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

This sounds like a quote that might not have been the entire comment. This is the problem with talking to the media. They piece comments together to make the comment different than what the person was saying.

And yes you need to know who you are calling a foul on. If you do not do that you are not aware of the entire game.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 02:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You hate what?

Uh, duh, it's obvious. He hates asterisks.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 03:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote, Unquote ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No I didn't. I was incorrect in not adding a second quotation mark at the end of the statement. I fixed it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

I hate when officials calls are influenced by anything other than players actions on the court.
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 03:47pm
Administrator

"But we do have to be mindful who we're calling it against".

That statement made me want to regurgitate my lunch.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Mar 04, 2012, 03:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
I hate when officials calls are influenced by anything other than players actions on the court.
I think you are reading a little too much into the quote honestly.

Unless you can find where he says not to call fouls on particular players, then show me where that was stated in this article.

Peace