The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 03:29pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Muslim Headwear vs Rules - Refs Decision

Muslim Girl Back on Basketball Court After Being Benched for Wearing Headscarf - ParentDish

From the article:

"But officials from the Mid-Maryland Girls' Basketball League say the referee was just doing what he had to do, because there was no request on file that would allow Maheen to wear the scarf."
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 04:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will never understand why parents, coaches and schools do not file the proper information so that these things cannot be a problem when game starts. I will never get this at all. You know the child is going to be wearing something unusual or possibly no one will agree with on a rules level, you cannot just verify this with the governing body or someone other than the game officials (who you will have several over the course of a season). All the officials will have are the rules and not all of us will agree. But a governing body can get the word out to all parties and let them know what they want. It is that hard to get the right information to the right people?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed, Rut. If anyone is to fault in this article, it's the coach/school for not covering all bases before the season started.

It wouldn't be difficult to see this issue coming up at some point in the season, regardless of intentions.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 04:30pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I will never understand why parents, coaches and schools do not file the proper information so that these things cannot be a problem when game starts.
Probably the same reason some teams don't think about illegal numbers, illegal undershirts, et al: "He/she's just a kid, ref, let 'em play!"
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 04:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Probably the same reason some teams don't think about illegal numbers, illegal undershirts, et al: "He/she's just a kid, ref, let 'em play!"
This is different than a number. You know you have a daughter that is going to play in a sport where no one of note is wearing such things while playing a game. You have to think someone is not going to accept her outfit and that maybe it might not fall under some rule somewhere. So in order to avoid that, talk to someone that can make an administrative decision. If a kid has a dress code at a school and your religious expression is outside fo that, would you not talk to the school administrators to get some kind of exception or understanding before you enroll in that school? I would think this is the same thing.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 20, 2011, 05:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I will never understand why parents, coaches and schools do not file the proper information so that these things cannot be a problem when game starts. I will never get this at all. You know the child is going to be wearing something unusual or possibly no one will agree with on a rules level, you cannot just verify this with the governing body or someone other than the game officials (who you will have several over the course of a season). All the officials will have are the rules and not all of us will agree. But a governing body can get the word out to all parties and let them know what they want. It is that hard to get the right information to the right people?
+1

Put the responsibility where it belongs. And it doesn't belong on the officials.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 09:52am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:

Peace
They just did this in VT for a player and a memo was sent to all officials.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2011, 10:36am
Back from the DL

Quote:
This is different than a number.
I don't disagree with that. Still, if you want to understand why people don't make the effort to look into these matters, you have to consider what motivates people to do what they do (or don't do).

"It's just a game! Why do they make a big deal out of it?!"

Whether we're right or wrong -- and we're usually right, when we follow the rules -- in others' eyes, we are the O.O.O. when we enforce rules they don't like. To them, you're taking it away from the kids.

Mind you, I'm not defending their behavior. I'm simply saying that's where their heads may be.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Follow-up article on Yahoo!

Here's another article I found on this incident:

Muslim headscarf forces teen girl to bench in hoops game - Prep Rally - High School - Yahoo! Sports

It's pretty bad anymore that when a player is not allowed to play that thy &/or their parents have to get the media involved.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
+1

Put the responsibility where it belongs. And it doesn't belong on the officials.
+2.0
...or parents who pull their child off of one school team, enroll them in another school then find out that their daughter, who is a Junior, must sit out 365 days before being eligible. But that is another topic. Same responsible party though1
Old Tue Jan 25, 2011, 11:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
+2.0
...or parents who pull their child off of one school team, enroll them in another school then find out that their daughter, who is a Junior, must sit out 365 days before being eligible. But that is another topic. Same responsible party though1
Well that is not a universal rule or issue. In my area people can move and they are eligible immediately if you can prove the move was not for athletics or were recruited. And we have nothing to do with that as officials in any way.

Peace