The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Making Sure Refs Follow Rules Too (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89733-making-sure-refs-follow-rules-too.html)

grunewar Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:35am

Making Sure Refs Follow Rules Too

Thought some of you might find this interesting.

Making sure the refs follow the rules, too | Washington Examiner

Unlike Padgett's corner of the world, local officials and leagues don't get too much press around here.......I guess that may be because our "local paper" is the Washington Post! :rolleyes:

BillyMac Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:42am

Them's Fightn' Words ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 829588)

"They discuss that both teams have a go-to scorer, C.J. McCollum of Lehigh and Charles Hinkle of AU, except they are never referred to by name, only number. Greenwood asks the referees to take note of who they are charging with fouls. Translation: When trying to establish the tenor of the game early, don't get either of the go-to players into foul trouble. "If it's a foul, it's a foul. We have to call it," Greenwood says. "But we do have to be mindful who we're calling it against"".

Let the games begin.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...26a5c3ade607b1

Duffman Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:08pm

I hate this ****. I hated this **** as a player also. The rules should apply to everyone.

Bad Zebra Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 829591)
"They discuss that both teams have a go-to scorer, C.J. McCollum of Lehigh and Charles Hinkle of AU, except they are never referred to by name, only number. Greenwood asks the referees to take note of who they are charging with fouls. Translation: When trying to establish the tenor of the game early, don't get either of the go-to players into foul trouble. "If it's a foul, it's a foul. We have to call it," Greenwood says. "But we do have to be mindful who we're calling it against".

Let the games begin.

Sounds like an NBA mentality. Pretty surprised an NCAA assignor would make a quote like that to the media.

tomegun Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:18pm

I can go one (or several) further. I know of a situation where a coach flat out told a coach that if he would have charged a foul to player X it would have been his fourth. He said this in the second half meaning he said it loud enough for the coach to hear it at the other end of the court. The coach who the foul was called for could have easily heard it and went crazy.

What do you guys think of that?

Lcubed48 Sun Mar 04, 2012 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 829588)

Making sure the refs follow the rules, too | Washington Examiner

Unlike Padgett's corner of the world, local officials and leagues don't get too much press around here.......I guess that may be because our "local paper" is the Washington Post! :rolleyes:

The tonsorially challenged ref in the picture is a neighbor of mine. He took a trip to China to call a couple of preseason games during the NBA officials' lock out whenever it was.

Raymond Sun Mar 04, 2012 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 829591)
"They discuss that both teams have a go-to scorer, C.J. McCollum of Lehigh and Charles Hinkle of AU, except they are never referred to by name, only number. Greenwood asks the referees to take note of who they are charging with fouls. Translation: When trying to establish the tenor of the game early, don't get either of the go-to players into foul trouble. "If it's a foul, it's a foul. We have to call it," Greenwood says. "But we do have to be mindful who we're calling it against".

Let the games begin.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...26a5c3ade607b1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 829601)
Sounds like an NBA mentality. Pretty surprised an NCAA assignor would make a quote like that to the media.

Reggie Greenwood did not make the bolded statement. The reporter inserted it in between quotes from Mr. Greenwood making it easy to infer that this was Mr. Greenwood's mentality.

Billy incorrectly added quotation marks to the beginning of the passage.

Adam Sun Mar 04, 2012 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 829597)
I hate this ****. I hated this **** as a player also. The rules should apply to everyone.

You hate what?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 829659)
Reggie Greenwood did not make the bolded statement. The reporter inserted it in between quotes from Mr. Greenwood making it easy to infer that this was Mr. Greenwood's mentality.

Agreed, and it further illuminates the issue with letting a reporter into the pregame.

Raymond Sun Mar 04, 2012 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 829602)
I can go one (or several) further. I know of a situation where a coach flat out told a coach that if he would have charged a foul to player X it would have been his fourth. He said this in the second half meaning he said it loud enough for the coach to hear it at the other end of the court. The coach who the foul was called for could have easily heard it and went crazy.

What do you guys think of that?

Well, you've given no information as to what the official(s) did on the play so all I can say is that it sounds like something I've heard coaches say before.

JRutledge Sun Mar 04, 2012 02:38pm

This sounds like a quote that might not have been the entire comment. This is the problem with talking to the media. They piece comments together to make the comment different than what the person was saying.

And yes you need to know who you are calling a foul on. If you do not do that you are not aware of the entire game.

Peace

Raymond Sun Mar 04, 2012 02:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 829660)
You hate what?

Uh, duh, it's obvious. He hates asterisks.

BillyMac Sun Mar 04, 2012 03:20pm

Quote, Unquote ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 829659)

No I didn't. I was incorrect in not adding a second quotation mark at the end of the statement. I fixed it.

Duffman Sun Mar 04, 2012 03:44pm

I hate when officials calls are influenced by anything other than players actions on the court.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Mar 04, 2012 03:47pm

"But we do have to be mindful who we're calling it against".

That statement made me want to regurgitate my lunch.

MTD, Sr.

JRutledge Sun Mar 04, 2012 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 829672)
I hate when officials calls are influenced by anything other than players actions on the court.

I think you are reading a little too much into the quote honestly.

Unless you can find where he says not to call fouls on particular players, then show me where that was stated in this article.

Peace