The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

I see this is an old post, but I had a similar situation (with one notable difference) come up the other day.

This happened between 3rd/4th quarter, but like the OP, we basically had a shot as time expired followed by an unsporting T. The difference is that we had a foul on the shooter instead of a made basket. Then, an unsporting T.

My partner and I administered both the shooting foul and the technical foul free throws in the 3rd quarter, and then went to the AP to start the 4th.

Our thinking was that the quarter had not ended because we still had free throws to administer. The case play referenced in this thread did not apply because the technical had not occurred "after the ball was dead to end the quarter" - it would be dead to end the quarter following the last free throw.

Further, (based on Rule 5.6.2) we considered the Technical to be "related activity" that had to be penalized and completed before the quarter officially ended. Since no part of any penalty carries over, we started the 4th quarter with the AP throw in.

Curious whether others agree with how we administered this.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 11:52am
NFHS Official

I'm shooting the free throws after the halftime, and team A gets the ball at the half court for the throw in.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 12:04pm
(Something hilarious)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
I see this is an old post, but I had a similar situation (with one notable difference) come up the other day.

This happened between 3rd/4th quarter, but like the OP, we basically had a shot as time expired followed by an unsporting T. The difference is that we had a foul on the shooter instead of a made basket. Then, an unsporting T.

My partner and I administered both the shooting foul and the technical foul free throws in the 3rd quarter, and then went to the AP to start the 4th.

Our thinking was that the quarter had not ended because we still had free throws to administer. The case play referenced in this thread did not apply because the technical had not occurred "after the ball was dead to end the quarter" - it would be dead to end the quarter following the last free throw.

Further, (based on Rule 5.6.2) we considered the Technical to be "related activity" that had to be penalized and completed before the quarter officially ended. Since no part of any penalty carries over, we started the 4th quarter with the AP throw in.

Curious whether others agree with how we administered this.
I agree with how you administered this. The ball hasn't become dead for the last time after time has expired in the period until the last FT has ended for the foul that was part of the period.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 12:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I'm shooting the free throws after the halftime, and team A gets the ball at the half court for the throw in.
In HokiePaul's situation, the T is called prior to the end of the 2nd quarter. Penalties do not carry over, so you'd start the 3rd quarter with the AP.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 06:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
In HokiePaul's situation, the T is called prior to the end of the 2nd quarter. Penalties do not carry over, so you'd start the 3rd quarter with the AP.
I think OKREF is talking about the OP since he mentions half-time. HokiePaul's situation happened at the end of the 3rd Q.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 06:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I think OKREF is talking about the OP since he mentions half-time. HokiePaul's situation happened at the end of the 3rd Q.
Oh, never mind. Reading too fast between phone calls has consequences.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2013, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Oh, never mind. Reading too fast between phone calls has consequences.
Easy to do when someone resurrects a thread from 10 (or more) months ago.