Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Was He BillyMac ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm not sure, but wasn't the noncontact excessive elbow swing a technical foul (NFHS) several years ago? Hasn't this changed back and forth a few times (violation, technical foul, violation)? Now, where are my house keys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
The official in your play is using old rules and incorrect terminology.
Bingo. Was he bald, or did he have gray hair? Was he using a noose lanyard, and wearing a belt? Was he Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 21, 2012 at 12:40pm.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:29pm
Administrator

Quote:
It's a stretch, but can't a hard swinging, but no contact, elbow be construed as a "punch that misses" in a fight that might break out, thus the noncontact technical foul? Again, it's a stretch, but I'm trying to figure out why there was a technical foul in this live ball, noncontact, situation. Or, maybe there were some "bad" words exchanged between the players, like some kind of taunt?

I'm not sure, but wasn't the noncontact excessive elbow swing a technical foul (NFHS) several years ago? Hasn't this changed back and forth a few times (violation, technical foul, violation)? Now, where are my house keys?

Billy:

You are correct that it could be judged a non-contact FTF. I had such a call in the 1994 AAU Girls' 18U Nationals in Cleveland, Ohio. A1 got the ball in the high post with her back to the basket and B1 defender her from behind. A1 pivots a little bit to her left (enough to see where B1 was) and then swung her left elbow directly for B1's head. B1 saw the elbow coming and pulled back just in time to avoid being slammed in the face with A1's elbow. If A1's elbow had made contact with B1's face, B1 would have gone down for the count.

A1's coach didn't like the call, the two Army assistant coaches who were there scouting A1 didn't like the call, and the Official Scorer (who was on the Colgate Univ. men's team at the time) didn't like the call. The smart aleck from Colgate went so far as to tell me that if I disqualified A1 he wouldn't record it in the book. The Site Manager instantly became the new Official Scorer.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:40pm
Administrator

Quote:
Bingo. Was he bald? Did he have gray hair? Was he using a noose lanyard, and wearing a belt? Was he BillyMac?

It was not me; I wear beltless pants. LOL

And I think it was a stupid mistake when the NFHS did make excessive swinging of the elbows a TF when no contact was made. Why? We had officials not calling it when it was a violation (I was not one of the spineless officials.) but the NFHS logic at the time was to make it a TF insuring that nobody would call it.

I will admit that once it became a TF, whenever I had such a situation I had a PCF; with apologies to Lou Costello: "I was a baaad boy." LOL

One time a girls' H.S. varsity HC complained that there was no contact; I told her I could correct call to a TF, to which she replied: "Great call."

But I did make the TF call just once in a girls H.S. varsity game: A1 was about 6'-00" and she got a defensive rebound and started swinging away while B1 (5'-06") tried to guard her. It was obvious that there was no contact but A1's actions where a casebook example of the infraction and I really had no choice but to charge her with a TF. And yes, her HC came close to getting one too, LOL.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
I was sitting behind our bench (unbelievably small gym) and heard our coach ask why it was a technical .. the response was " it was flagrant swinging of his elbow coach ".
So he made the incorrect call and used incorrect terminology to explain the incorrect call.

At least he was consistent.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 01:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Can Ask For Anything More ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
At least he was consistent.
Isn't that what we all strive for as officials.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)