The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

What's the correct call

Watching my son's Varsity game last night .... Our player has the ball just above the key and the defensive player is attempting to tie up the ball. Our player pivots and swings his arms/elbows through unbelivably fast, but does not create contact. The official called a technical foul on him .

My question(s) are:

1. I believe the correct call would be a violation due to excessive swinging of the elbows (if the official believed that occurred) from my vantage point it wasn't b/c he swung through as he was pivoting. Am I correct ?

2) What is the call if he had made contact with the defensive player ?

3) My real concern was for the defensive player, if he had been hit with this motion it really would have caused injury , is there anything we as officials can do ?

Thanks
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
Watching my son's Varsity game last night .... Our player has the ball just above the key and the defensive player is attempting to tie up the ball. Our player pivots and swings his arms/elbows through unbelivably fast, but does not create contact. The official called a technical foul on him .

My question(s) are:

1. I believe the correct call would be a violation due to excessive swinging of the elbows (if the official believed that occurred) from my vantage point it wasn't b/c he swung through as he was pivoting. Am I correct ?

3) My real concern was for the defensive player, if he had been hit with this motion it really would have caused injury , is there anything we as officials can do ?

Thanks
1. Correct

2. Player control unless the official believed it to be INT or Flagrant.

3. Officials blow the whistle AFTER illegal contact occurs.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My question(s) are:

If he thought the player was excessively swinging his elbows (without contact), then it would be a violation rather than a T

Quote:
Player control foul, intentional foul, or flagrant foul though realistically, you'd probably gonna have at the least an intentional foul for excessive contact.

Quote:
If it's an isolated instance, then no...if you call it the first time it happens, it hopefully curtails the chances of it happening again.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:35am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Watching my son's Varsity game last night .... Our player has the ball just above the key and the defensive player is attempting to tie up the ball. Our player pivots and swings his arms/elbows through unbelivably fast, but does not create contact. The official called a technical foul on him.

My question(s) are:

Thanks
Sounds like it should have been a violation, because no contact was made. Calling a T is a previous ruling.

If illegal contact was made, I see a PC foul. If I suspected anything else, INT and flagrant are possible.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the reply,

I called another official this morning and explained it to him and asked what he thought. He responded that if the elbow was above the shoulder then he would call an intentional. I told him that it didn't matter the location but he disagreed. So I told him I was going to come here .

Thanks again
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I called another official this morning and explained it to him and asked what he thought. He responded that if the elbow was above the shoulder then he would call an intentional. I told him that it didn't matter the location but he disagreed. So I told him I was going to come here .

Thanks again
Not a problem, an elbow above the shoulder is the NCAA ruling.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply,

I called another official this morning and explained it to him and asked what he thought. He responded that if the elbow was above the shoulder then he would call an intentional.
That's (sort of) the NCAA rule.

Note that the violation is for swinging the elbows faster than the torso. If it's an entire pivot (and the elbows stay in the same relative spot to the torso), then it's no violation, and can only be a foul (if contact is made).
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Went To A Fight And A Basketball Game Broke Out ...

It's a stretch, but can't a hard swinging, but no contact, elbow be construed as a "punch that misses" in a fight that might break out, thus the noncontact technical foul? Again, it's a stretch, but I'm trying to figure out why there was a technical foul in this live ball, noncontact, situation. Or, maybe there were some "bad" words exchanged between the players, like some kind of taunt?

I'm not sure, but wasn't the noncontact excessive elbow swing a technical foul (NFHS) several years ago? Hasn't this changed back and forth a few times (violation, technical foul, violation)? Now, where are my house keys?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 21, 2012 at 11:53am.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

I was sitting behind our bench (unbelievably small gym) and heard our coach ask why it was a technical .. the response was " it was flagrant swinging of his elbow coach ".
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's a stretch, but can't a hard swinging, but no contact, elbow be construed as a "punch that misses" in a fight that might break out, thus the noncontact technical foul? Again, it's a stretch, but I'm trying to figure out why there was a technical foul in this live ball, noncontact, situation. Or, maybe there were some "bad" words exchanged between the players, like some kind of taunt?
Well then someone's getting ejected (sorry, disqualified) in your scenario. No one was ejected in the OP's play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Last edited by APG; Tue Feb 21, 2012 at 11:55am.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

What is the violation? "Excessive swinging of the arms"? So this would be just like a traveling violation?
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
What is the violation? "Excessive swinging of the arms"? So this would be just like a traveling violation?
Correct ... if no contact was made.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Excessive swinging of the elbows...ball is awarded to the offended team at the OOB spot closest to where the violation occurred. If this occurs, while a try is in flight, by the team who shot the ball, the ball becomes dead and no basket can be scored.

Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:58am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I was sitting behind our bench (unbelievably small gym) and heard our coach ask why it was a technical .. the response was " it was flagrant swinging of his elbow coach ".
If it was flagrant (e.g., an attempt to strike the opponent), then the player should have been disqualified.

The official in your play is using old rules and incorrect terminology.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Well, At Least I Gave It A Shot ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Well then someone's getting ejected (sorry, disqualified) in your scenario. No one was ejected in the OP's play.
Good point AllPurposeGamer.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)