The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to gabenet Send a message via AIM to gabenet Send a message via Yahoo to gabenet
Question

I have a question to all that have the answer.

Let's say you are in a situation in a game that an offensive player, in this case player A, is on a fast break and the only thing between player A and the basket is a defensive player, in this case player B. If player A is dribbling towards the basket and player B, who is standing right on front of the basket, somehow deflects the basketball from player A causing the ball to be loose in bounce. While the deflection was made, the momentum of player A caused him to go out of bounce, can player A come back in bounce and be the next person to touch the ball?

That is the question, please explain your answer. Thank you all in advance.

GabeNet
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
A simple answer is yes. This is a lose ball situation and there is no player control on a lose ball or interupted dribble. Player A must get one foot back in bounds and the other foot airborn(not touching anything OOB) before he touches the ball.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 07:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Football rule.

gabenet,

You are doing what many people do, you are thinking of a football rule rather than a basketball one. In football rules, there are certain situations where a player that goes out of bounds cannot be the first to make a play or touch the ball. In basketball this principle does not apply. Basketball only allows a player to be inbounds and touch the ball if they are considered inbounds by location. Basically the last part of the floor they touch is where they are located on the floor by rule (there are exceptions). Do not feel bad, many others think the same thing. As a matter of fact many people have asked this question lately. It is starting to get as common as "if a shooter shoots an airball, is it travelling if they get the ball first?" But I am sure TH will disagree with that. He disagrees with everything else I say.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 12:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Player A must get one foot back in bounds and the other foot airborn(not touching anything OOB) before he touches the ball.
Tim - can't a player jump back in and land on both feet inbounds and then touch the ball and be legal? Did they change the rule last night while I was sleeping?

Just kidding.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I write strange things in my sleep. You can have both feet but only one is required.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to gabenet Send a message via AIM to gabenet Send a message via Yahoo to gabenet
Exclamation More to the question.....

JR, I am not getting confused with football rules. I know the rules quite well. It's just another individual that totally is disagreeing with my call. I know if you shoot up an airball that you can't regain control of the basketball unless it touches an object (meaning person or backboard). The rule in basketball is that if you are the last person to touch the ball and then you step out-of-bounce, you can't be the first person to touch that ball again. I want to know, if it hits a defender while your momentum takes you out-of-bounce, can you reestablish position in bounce and be the next person to touch the ball? Another way of asking that is, if you come back in bounce and touch the ball, are you the first player to touch it even though it hit the defender?
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 02:23pm
9 times

Re: More to the question.....

Quote:
Originally posted by gabenet
JR, I am not getting confused with football rules. I know the rules quite well. It's just another individual that totally is disagreeing with my call. I know if you shoot up an airball that you can't regain control of the basketball unless it touches an object (meaning person or backboard). The rule in basketball is that if you are the last person to touch the ball and then you step out-of-bounce, you can't be the first person to touch that ball again. I want to know, if it hits a defender while your momentum takes you out-of-bounce, can you reestablish position in bounce and be the next person to touch the ball? Another way of asking that is, if you come back in bounce and touch the ball, are you the first player to touch it even though it hit the defender?
Are you sure you know the rules quite well? Go back and re-read your post and consider what the rules really say before you start spouting off about knowing something.

"Just the facts, Ma'am!"

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 02:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
gabenet,
Be careful here.
T'ain't so.
Are you talking about American basketball rulles for college and high school?
mick
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 02:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking RELEASE THE HOOOOUUUUNNNNNDDDDSSS!!!!!

I tried to warn ya. No my brotha, you on your own.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias

Quote:
The rule in basketball is that if you are the last person to touch the ball and then you step out-of-bounce, you can't be the first person to touch that ball again.
Gabe,

For the most part, we discuss college and HS rules on this forum. The rule you give is only in effect for the NBA. However, whether we're talking about the NBA or college or HS, the answer to your question is that the situation you describe is legal.

Chuck
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Gabenet,

Is your rule knowledge a result of many years of having played the game? When I played the game, I thought I knew the rules. Then I became a ref and realized I did't know them well at all.

Start studying a rule book and you will be very surprised at how many false assumptions you played under all those years (and you might remember a time when you thought a ref was certified nuts and now you realize that he was right)!

Z

P.S. You owe $5.00 to BktballRef for that airball one.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Bounce versus Bounds

What is "out-of-bounce?"

Is that like a flat ball that won't bounce?

"Come back in-bounce" must be pumping the ball up.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I believe "out of bounce" was in reference to the player and must either refer to running out of energy or not having any more of those anti-static thingies you throw in the dryer that make your uniform smell all nice. Therefore, the "out of bounce" player must be tired or staticy and not smelling very nice.

"Back in bounce" must therefore refer to a second wind and a fresh uniform. Sounds legal to me if the player returned to the lockerroom during a timeout for the change of clothes...
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I think he was talking about his checking account....when he is out of bounce...he cannot write checks any more.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2002, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Bounce versus Bounds

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
What is "out-of-bounce?"

Is that like a flat ball that won't bounce?

It's a condition basketball players get when they get old and can't jump anymore or when they tear an ACL.

Quote:

"Come back in-bounce" must be pumping the ball up.

This occurs when the player finds the fountain of youth or after the ACL surgery and physical therapy.