The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Trail handles player control

Is it ever ok for the Trail official to call a player control foul in the paint when the play did NOT originate from his primary? Saw it this weekend with 3 veteran officials in HS play. Play originated just inside the free throw line and was an obvious charge about half way down the lane, but neither the L or C hit their whistle. Trail was about a tic late but came in and got it. Right call, but it just seemed odd.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 09:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
Is it ever ok for the Trail official to call a player control foul in the paint when the play did NOT originate from his primary? Saw it this weekend with 3 veteran officials in HS play. Play originated just inside the free throw line and was an obvious charge about half way down the lane, but neither the L or C hit their whistle. Trail was about a tic late but came in and got it. Right call, but it just seemed odd.
When there's an elephant in the room, someone must acknowledge it...
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 09:43am
This IS My Social Life

It Happens Sometimes...with Emphasis on "Some"

Quote:
Attention to PCA does not preclude wider court awareness which could, at times, yield an obvious call that has to be made in another's primary. Now, if it happens time after time after time (like with the crew I just got done reviewing on video), you'd have to admit there's something wrong.
I have seen it on tape when both C and L are straightlined and T, with nothing in particular going on in his area, has the slot and, with wider court awareness, comes in and makes the necessary call. Often, in fact. Especially when L hasn't rotated yet and C doesn't either step down or step in on a drive and ends up looking square into the dribbler's back.
Sound right?
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Trail was about a tic late but came in and got it.
This delay was likely a wait to see if either the C or L put air in their whistle. He held knowing it wasn't his call.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
This delay was likely a wait to see if either the C or L put air in their whistle. He held knowing it wasn't his call.
Quite possible. Sometimes a drive coming out of C's primary will straightline both C and L, while T gets a great look at it. Nothing wrong with taking that, if nobody gets it first.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 12:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Had almost this exact play this weekend. I was the Trail and just crossing the division line. Clear PC but both my partners failed to put a whistle on it. Talked about it after the game and really wish I had come in and made the call.

In fact I have the DVD in my player right now. Will check it out later to see how bad it looked.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 04:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yes and why not?

Peace
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... Play originated just inside the free throw line and was an obvious charge about half way down the lane, but neither the L or C hit their whistle. Trail was about a tic late but came in and got it. Right call, but it just seemed odd.
this is called "excellent officiating by the Trail".....

Now that you've seen this situation, remember it - it WILL happen to you and you'll know exactly how to handle it!
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

If the only thing that would make this bad...

Quote:
...if later on one of his partners pointedly lets him know he had it, but passed on it for some (likely inane) reason.
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga314ref View Post
...if later on one of his partners pointedly lets him know he had it, but passed on it for some (likely inane) reason.
I would tell my partner:

"Well I'm glad I made that call because we cannot pass on ANY "train wrecks" like that."
Old Tue Feb 21, 2012, 10:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
I would tell my partner:

"Well I'm glad I made that call because we cannot pass on ANY "train wrecks" like that."
I can tell you that if I tell you I passed on it for a reason, then it wasn't the train wreck you thought it was, and this sort of high horse response will put us both in GIGDGO mode, and on the edge of my block list (which I've still not used.)