The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

I am not Karl Hess, nor will I ever have his resume, but I had a jackwagon removed tonight. I called a travel as the C opposite and some idiot in the stands right behind me unleashed a fury that included an f-bomb. I hit the whistle and got the AD and had the guy removed.

After the game, the guy found his way back into the gym and told me I offended him. Then the AD grabbed him and we closed the locker room door.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Oh, the AD is an official and a friend who occasionally posts here, so maybe he'll come in and poke fun at me (like he just did on Facebook).
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 01:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I am not Karl Hess, nor will I ever have his resume, but I had a jackwagon removed tonight. I called a travel as the C opposite and some idiot in the stands right behind me unleashed a fury that included an f-bomb. I hit the whistle and got the AD and had the guy removed.

After the game, the guy found his way back into the gym and told me I offended him. Then the AD grabbed him and we closed the locker room door.
Did he Tebow afterwards?
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 08:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Did he Tebow afterwards?
No, but I've decided that on my first of 40 held balls tonight I'm going to call it by getting down on one knee and raising my thumbs to heaven.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 09:56am
Archaic Power Monger

"Rich The Terrible"

Now that's a name I could get behind. I'm trying to figure out who our masked AD/official is on here though...
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
"Rich The Terrible"

Now that's a name I could get behind.
He can't change his screen name again without resetting his post count!
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 10:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
He can't change his screen name again without resetting his post count!
Brad could easily do this -- perhaps even Bob. Matter of fact, my name was already changed once a few years ago.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Also, as others pointed out, your experience in an AAU game really has no bearing on this. Apples and oranges really.
You mean I can't compare a D1 game with an AAU game??? Bummer.
How about comparing 2 grown men getting on the officials the whole game with 20 adults getting on the officials the whole game? That seems somewhat fair to me, unless those 2 guys have super-human powers I'm unaware of.

I saw this yesterday in an article from the News & Observer and think it's a fair assessment. Do you?

"If Corchiani or Gugliotta threatened Hess, used profanity or were otherwise offensive, Hess and the ACC should acknowledge those grounds for their ejection. If they were no different from any other fan in the building, Hess and the ACC owe them an apology.

The power to eject unruly fans is not one to be used lightly. Hess has that right, but not without the responsibility to explain himself."

When I read on this board that officials like Hess can do this "because they can", really turns my stomach and think that it's that type of attitude that continues to widen the divide between officials and coaches/fans.

Note to those that may try and paint me as a traitor or someone that has no clue: I do not condone profanity or vulgar assaults or anything else that would deemed a personal attack against any official.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
You don't always need video to come to a conclusion — there is tons of other evidence.
Great! Give me just a few pieces of that evidence. I don't want opinion or conjecture. I asked for some earlier and you came back with an assumption.

If these guys have a history of being warned at games or have been tossed in previous game(s), then I'd like to know that, I really would. I just haven't heard or seen any real evidence yet to support what you guys are selling.... I'm willing to buy, but give me something more than just assumptions. It's what critical thinkers ask for.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

From what I remember, any reference to "because he can" was in reference to Hess ejecting the fans himself rather than going to game management. People were asking why he went about administering the ejection like he did rather than doing so properly.

And Hess and the ACC don't owe the two fans any apology if the conference doesn't disagree with the ejection (and from the looks of it, they don't). The only thing the ACC has said that was incorrect about the whole incident is the administration of the ejection.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:52am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
Great! Give me just a few pieces of that evidence. I don't want opinion or conjecture. I asked for some earlier and you came back with an assumption.

If these guys have a history of being warned at games or have been tossed in previous game(s), then I'd like to know that, I really would. I just haven't heard or seen any real evidence yet to support what you guys are selling.... I'm willing to buy, but give me something more than just assumptions. It's what critical thinkers ask for.
I've given it time and time again ... you just want to continue to bash the official and make inferences that you are able to handle crowd pressure better in your AAU games.

There is NO WAY that an official of Hess' stature and experience is just throwing fans out for no good reason. THAT'S the evidence. All you need. If you don't get that, I don't know how to explain it to you.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 11:56am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
How about comparing 2 grown men getting on the officials the whole game with 20 adults getting on the officials the whole game? That seems somewhat fair to me, unless those 2 guys have super-human powers I'm unaware of.
There were over 17,500 people in the arena ... do you think that it was only those 2 that were giving Hess a hard time? If he booted everyone out that was yelling "You suck" he would have probably had to remove half of the crowd!

He booted these two for a reason. Look at where they are seated — right behind the scorer's table. I'm confident they were interfering with the table and being way over the top. Why else would Hess kick them out? I can tell you he wouldn't.

When you are making that much money per game, you don't go in trying to look for things to create controversy. You go in, make the calls, and get out.

There is no way that he is stopping a game of this caliber, on TV, to wait to have these two guys ejected without a damn good reason.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If these guys have a history of being warned at games or have been tossed in previous game(s), then I'd like to know that, I really would. I just haven't heard or seen any real evidence yet to support what you guys are selling....
This is really irrelevant. All that matters is what they did/said that game. Perhaps we will never know, but given what everyone else has said, I'm pretty comfortable with how he handled it.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 12:43pm
Official & Member

Quote:
There is no way that he is stopping a game of this caliber, on TV, to wait to have these two guys ejected without a damn good reason.
This statement is at the very core of the whole argument in this thread. If you don't accept this as a fact, then you will forever believe that Hess did something wrong or uncalled for.

Anybody who has ever officiated beyond kiddie rec or has ANY knowledge of what it takes to become an official of Hess' stature will likely accept this fact. Those that don't...well...I would tend to lump them into the rabid fan or media talking head school of thought/mentality.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2012, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Now Gottfried is getting on on the act....

ACC Now - Gottfried calls ACC reprimand 'weak' at student rally | newsobserver.com blogs

Talk about "weak".....

According to him you cannot eject NC State "greats" or ACC "greats".

Clowns..... Yow, Gottfried, Gugliotta, Corchini......