The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

3-whistle: Throw-in below FT line extended

How do you guys handle throw-ins below the FT line extended on the sideline when working with three officials? I know the NCAA-M mechanic is for the Lead to bounce the ball to the thrower, with the Trail counting and chopping the clock. We used to have the Lead bounce and count/chop, but now our association says that the state governing body wants us to have the Trail bounce the ball to the thrower (No matter how far into the corner he is) and then count/chop himself.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

I like the trail - allows the Lead to watch the lane and post area. The further the ball goes into the corner, the more action I see in the baseline and post areas.

I like the bounce and get out of the way scenario from the Trail.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I have always taken it as the L. I bounce the ball to the thrower in and let my T take it from there. I didn't realize this was what Men's DIV I does it, but I have always thought it works best for all parties.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

From the NFHS manual, p. 51, 3.2.2 Throw-ins:

2. In the frontcourt, the official responsible for the line is the administering official.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Below the FT-line extended, we have the lead bounce to the thrower and have the count, with the trail chopping time in.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 12:42pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

2. In the frontcourt, the official responsible for the line is the administering official.
....... as I have been taught.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

Thanks. We were pre-gaming this earlier this week and it came up. I was trying to find it in the FED manual during our pre-game, but I was in a hurry and couldn't come up with anything.

So the way our state wants us doing it now is correct if you follow that manual. Interesting. Prior to this clarification, we would decide as a crew how to do it depending on who you were working with. Some guys that work NCAA games did it that way, while others had the Lead bounce it across the corner and count/chop himself. I like the NCAA-M method personally, but I'm not making that decision.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
How do you guys handle throw-ins below the FT line extended on the sideline when working with three officials? I know the NCAA-M mechanic is for the Lead to bounce the ball to the thrower, with the Trail counting and chopping the clock. We used to have the Lead bounce and count/chop, but now our association says that the state governing body wants us to have the Trail bounce the ball to the thrower (No matter how far into the corner he is) and then count/chop himself.
Your state governing body is following the NFHS Officials Manual which says frontcourt throw-ins are handled by whoever is responsible for that line. Someone must've mentioned that to the higher-ups or, given your later post, decided to make one standard everyone should follow. It's not good to have some crews doing one thing and some doing another.

I think the college mechanic (NCAAM & W are the same) is a bit more practical. With the L bouncing the throw-in, the C - & T, if needed - can watch what's in the post while everyone stays close to their positions. The NFHS method can leave the T out of position if the throw-in goes towards backcourt.

Last edited by JetMetFan; Fri Feb 17, 2012 at 12:50pm. Reason: added info
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
....... as I have been taught.
Same here
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Your state governing body is following the NFHS Officials Manual which says frontcourt throw-ins are handled by whoever is responsible for that line. Someone must've mentioned that to the higher-ups or, given your later post, decided to make one standard everyone should follow. It's not good to have some crews doing one thing and some doing another.

I think the college mechanic (NCAAM & W are the same) is a bit more practical. With the L bouncing the throw-in, the C - & T, if needed - can watch what's in the post while everyone stays close to their positions. The NFHS method can leave the T out of position if the throw-in goes towards backcourt.
Agreed on the first paragraph.

I don't like it because it makes the Trail take his eyes off of a big part of his area. This happened to us in the game I was talking about. I was the Trail, and bounced the ball to a thrower who was about three feet from the endline. I was trying my best to keep one eye on her and one eye on stuff going on in my PCA, but just as I glance at her, one of her teammates sets a screen just out of my field of vision. The other team's bench chirped about it for a few seconds, but that was the end of it. I asked my partner who was the C about it later, and he said there was nothing illegal about it, which was good to hear. I had backed up further up the sideline so I didn't bury myself in the corner, but it still makes it difficult to see everything.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 02:50pm
This IS My Social Life

Similis

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
. . . I don't like it because it makes the Trail take his eyes off of a big part of his area. . . .
Which is also why I don't like the trail mirroring the time chop of the lead on an endline throw-in.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 03:18pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Below the FT-line extended, we have the lead bounce to the thrower and have the count, with the trail chopping time in.
For both two and three whistle? I was under the impression the L administering in this case was a two whistle only mechanic.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 03:30pm
C'mon man!!

The other reason I don't like trail mirroring the chop is this: the other day I was about to administer a throw in on the end line and just as I was about to hand the ball to the player I see my partner raise his hand out of the corner of my eye. I stopped the administration and asked him what was up? Then it clicked. Oops. He was doing too good of a job.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 03:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
The other reason I don't like trail mirroring the chop is this: the other day I was about to administer a throw in on the end line and just as I was about to hand the ball to the player I see my partner raise his hand out of the corner of my eye. I stopped the administration and asked him what was up? Then it clicked. Oops. He was doing too good of a job.
That's why I make quick eye contact before every throw in.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2012, 03:35pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
That's why I make quick eye contact before every throw in.
Well I did but then he put his hand up after that and so I looked at him again to see why he wanted to stop (subs, garbage on the floor or something else.) I guess a good rule of thumb is to not start the mirror until the ball is at the disposal of the player.