The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Question End Line Throw In

Team A has a throw in after a made (or awarded) basket and A1 chooses to pass the ball to A2 along the endline. 1) Is it legal for A2 to receive this pass after leaving the court in bounds but before touching oob? 2) Is it legal for A2 to catch the ball while it is behind the endline, but A2 has one or both feet touching in bounds?

My initial reaction is that it is legal in both for an endline throw in, but a violation in both for a spot throw in.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy
Team A has a throw in after a made (or awarded) basket and A1 chooses to pass the ball to A2 along the endline. 1) Is it legal for A2 to receive this pass after leaving the court in bounds but before touching oob? 2) Is it legal for A2 to catch the ball while it is behind the endline, but A2 has one or both feet touching in bounds?

My initial reaction is that it is legal in both for an endline throw in, but a violation in both for a spot throw in.
Remember that a player retains the same position they had last time their feet touched the floor. I got an OOB violation in #1 for that reason. If the player has both feet in bounds when they catch, I got nothing. If they're straddling the lines, violation.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. Legal throwin, but OOB on A2 as soon as she lands OOB. When A2 catches the ball in the air after having left from inbounds, the throwin ends legally. Upon landing, you now have an OOB violation.

2. Depends. If the only thing on the floor is inbounds, it's legal. If A2 is straddling the line (part in, and part out), violation.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hey, I'm a coach not a ref, but my understanding, just like for a backcourt violation, is that: "you are where you are, until you get where your going"... I'd say violation - caught the ball inbounds (in the air, after leaving inbounds before landing oob= inbounds) and landed oob....

?? am I correct ?? If not, I'm sure someone will let me know very quickly...

Coach M,
S. Hagerstown Lady Rebels.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
1. Legal throwin, but OOB on A2 as soon as she lands OOB. When A2 catches the ball in the air after having left from inbounds, the throwin ends legally. Upon landing, you now have an OOB violation.

2. Depends. If the only thing on the floor is inbounds, it's legal. If A2 is straddling the line (part in, and part out), violation.
Bingo!
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2) Is it legal for A2 to catch the ball while it is behind the endline, but A2 has one or both feet touching in bounds?
If by "behind the endline" you mean over OOB, then this is a violation even if A2 is invbounds. 9-2-3
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't #2 in my original post a violation of 9-2-3?
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcginthy
"you are where you are, until you get where your going"
"You are where you were until you get where you're going" is a little better, imo
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Answering very specifically:

Quote:
Team A has a throw in after a made (or awarded) basket and A1 chooses to pass the ball to A2 along the endline. 1) Is it legal for A2 to receive this pass after leaving the court in bounds but before touching oob?
You need to tell me which side of the boundary plane the ball is on. If it is on the OOB side, then this violates 9-2-3 because A2 is not "a teammate outside the boundary line."

If the ball is on the inbounds side of the boundary plane when A2 catches it, then so far all action is legal. You did not state what A2 did after catching the ball. If he lands OOB with the ball this is a simple OOB violation. However, he could throw a pass to another teammate prior to landing or he could request a time-out. All I know is that no violation has occurred at this point.

Quote:
2) Is it legal for A2 to catch the ball while it is behind the endline, but A2 has one or both feet touching in bounds?
NO, per 9-2-3.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukealex
"You are where you were until you get where you're going" is a little better, imo
"You are where you were till you get where you're going" scans better.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron

Main Entry: 1till
Pronunciation: t&l, t&l, 'til
Function: preposition
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English til; akin to Old Norse til to, till, Old English til good
1 chiefly Scottish : TO
2 or 'til also til : UNTIL
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Are you bucking for a promotion to Mr. Annoying Poetry Guy?
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Are you bucking for a promotion to Mr. Annoying Poetry Guy?
I'm grateful that you think of it as a promotion....
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 08:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Interesting. So during a throwin by A1, B1 may reach across the boundary plane and catch the ball once it's been released, but A2 may not. I hadn't considered that before.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2007, 08:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Interesting. So during a throwin by A1, B1 may reach across the boundary plane and catch the ball once it's been released, but A2 may not. I hadn't considered that before.
Rule 7-6-3 says that the restrictions governing the thrower's opponent from breaking the plane on a throw-in end when the ball leaves the thrower's hands on the throw-in. And....rule 9-2-3 only restricts the touching of a throw-in on the OOB side of the plane to teammates of the thrower.