The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

I remember reading a discussion on this board (I thought)about a case play with ball carrier, feet in bounds at the 3YL or somewhere close to GL, reaching ball around OB side of pylon. RULING was TD.

Can someone point me to that discussion, 'cause there were some good examples to go with that particular ruling, ie. player airborne near GL etc.

I want to share the knowledge with my stubborn LJ who doesn't get the Goal Line, or plane extended. If there is something in the NFHS Rulebook, please guide me to it.

Also, where the GL pylons should be set as we survey the field in our pregame. This has met with contoversy in our crew as well.

Thanks

J
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

There is a few occasions when you can listen to pro football TV announcers. John Madden always says "the goal line extends around the world."

The comic book (you can purchase from NFHS) shows this exactly as you need to see it.

The rule used to be 2-25-3. Check in that vicinity of the rule book as I don't have my book handy.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Check out this thread: http://www.officialforum.com/thread/22320

Not sure its much of a discussion.

Basically the pylons should be on the edge where the sideline meets the field of play. And the adjacent edge should meet the edge of the goaline where it touches the field of play. Does that make sense?
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

that always confused me about the pylons and where they were located. even though the pylons are located out of bounds, they are still considered "in" the endzone.

i never knew such a thing as an "extended goal line" exists. can someone explain this concept to me?

(as you can see, i am not an official. haha)

thanks
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59
that always confused me about the pylons and where they were located. even though the pylons are located out of bounds, they are still considered "in" the endzone.

i never knew such a thing as an "extended goal line" exists. can someone explain this concept to me?

thanks

The runner can score a TD if he reaches with the ball and it breaks the plane of the goal line extended (outside the pylon). However, he must have at least one foot on the ground when this happens. IF he is diving (in the air), the ball will be spotted where he (ball) crossed the sideline and it will not be a TD.
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59

thanks

The runner can score a TD if he reaches with the ball and it breaks the plane of the goal line extended (outside the pylon). However, he must have at least one foot on the ground when this happens. IF he is diving (in the air), the ball will be spotted where he (ball) crossed the sideline and it will not be a TD.
Exactly how it is for NF.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

NFHS RULE?

Can you point me to NFHS Rulebook, or Casebook where this is defined? I need evidence to prove to a few non-believers.

J
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Re: NFHS RULE?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaysef
Can you point me to NFHS Rulebook, or Casebook where this is defined? I need evidence to prove to a few non-believers.

J
The most important rule, rule 2 covers it. 2-25 on lines states "When related to a live ball in player possession (touching inbounds) while the ball is over the OOB's area, the goal line includes the extension beyond the sideline."
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Many thanks

Thanks guys, for some reason, I've run into more than one person (one new official, and one that worked years ago) who never heard of the plane of the goal extending infinitely beyond the sidelines.

J
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Here are two plays that might help:

PLAY: A10 enters B’s end zone by running from the field of play into the endzone while (a) holding the ball over the goal line, or (b) holding the ball over the out-of-bounds area—outside the pylon—so that it passes over the extension of the goal line. RULING: In both cases, it is a TD for A. Whether it crosses the goal line itself, or the extended goal line, it’s a touchdown. In this case, the extended goal line does have significance since the runner was touching the ground inbounds.

PLAY: Runner A42 leaves the field of play at the two yardline and dives for the endzone, but crosses the sideline at B’s one. He passes over an extension of the goal line, and lands in the area beyond the extension of the goal line adjacent to B's endzone. (a) He is able to reach with the ball in such a way that it passes inside the pylon and over the goal line, or (b) the ball passes over the extension of the goal line outside the pylon. RULING: In (a) it’s a TD since the ball crossed the plane of the goal line; (b) the ball would be dead at B’s 1 (the spot where the ball crossed the sideline). The extension of the goal line has no significance in (b) since the runner was not touching the ground inbounds.