The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Under NBA rules, that would not be a travel. The player just wouldn't be allowed to pivot after the jump stop.
Agree, NBA allows 2 steps after "ending dribble" or the gather.

good call
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
Correct if you gather while in mid air. (Which the video shows he did).
The video clearly shows he gathered the ball with his foot already on the floor...he then took one step...then landed on both feet simultaneously (a.k.a. a jump stop)...then left the floor to shoot.

I guess counting steps is harder for u than I thought. Sorry 'bout that.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
The video clearly shows he gathered the ball with his foot already on the floor...he then took one step...then landed on both feet simultaneously (a.k.a. a jump stop)...then left the floor to shoot.

While it may be fun to you to sound condescending about people's counting skills, your advice to count the number of steps to determine a travel violation has absolutely no support in the rules, and is not good advice for a newer official.

I can give you examples of a player taking 0 steps and be guilty of a travel, and taking 4 (or more) steps after ending a dribble and not be guilty of a travel. If an official uses your advice and simply counts the number of steps, they would be making more incorrect calls than correct.

The best advice is to still read and understand NFHS 4-44, and NCAA 4-72.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 11:29pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I can give you examples of a player taking 0 steps and be guilty of a travel, and taking 4 (or more) steps after ending a dribble and not be guilty of a travel.
Hmmm...
0: rolling over, 4+: fumbling?
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
It's all about picking up the pivot foot (and putting it back down). Determine that, and that's half the battle. A lot of plays will look awkward, but as long as you don't lose the pivot foot, you'll be able to accurately determine whether or not a play is legal.

And, as the game slows down, it'll be easier. You might be able to anticipate some moves that might happen, and when they do, you'll be ready for them.
Good advice. Also, don't let crowd/coach/player reactions affect your confidence. Almost every game you will have a sitch where someone, usually lots of someones, are hollering 'TRAVEL' and since you are astutely watching the pivot you KNOW it was ugly, but not a travel.

Personally, I would recommend watching as much game tape or TV games as you can. Watch the take off on the drive. When the big boy picks it up in the paint, watch his feet. Get used to what you are looking for. There was a vid posted a while back of a guard that took about 6 steps, slowly, without a call. It really hit home for me as one thing I have been working on is the "slow" travel. I've gotten pretty good at getting the "quick" travel on a take off. I do good with the jump stop and the post play. What I have missed is the "slow" travel. A1 shuffles his feet 30 feet from the basket under no pressure. It's a situation where I'm not expecting a travel and honestly think I have missed a couple this year.

FWIW, I read "picking up the pivot foot" rhetorically as in picking up = finding. Parenthetical remark was added for clarity.

Last edited by biggravy; Fri Feb 10, 2012 at 12:54am.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 02:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Hmmm...
0: rolling over, 4+: fumbling?
Jab steps normally (see Rich's frazier thread), but fumbles and bobbles too.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2012, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post

I was just trying to help you, and the OP, out by saying it isn't always simply counting steps. If that is the way you want to do it go ahead. However, there are just too many situations that your idea doesn't work, and I can't allow this idea to teach someone without saying why it isn't as simple as counting. I hope your condescension doesn't get in the way with learning different ways to expand your officiating.